• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

CALLING FELLOW TECHS! (newbs dont even try)

BustedPinion

-=BANNED=-
First I will say, wanna be techs & newbies dont post, i dont wanna weed through 3 pages of what you heard from uncle Fred. Im F'n serious, post up dumb **** and I will flame your ass to the dirt :cool:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually stumped boys, i just got this and it runs flawlessly, but it sat dead for few years, i assumed right off it might have frozen up in the winter, and guess what, something aint right.

Issue- overheating & spewing steam
Sounds simple right? "headgasket no brainer" right? HA! Not so easy diag. well heres the facts so far..

Facts:
-91' TBI 350
-supposedly rebuilt 19k ago, and looks it
-spews steam & overheats
-coolant pressure test leaks down semi-fast
-compression is 150.lbs on EVERY CYLINDER DEAD NUTS
-cylinder compression doesn't seem to leak down either, least not noticeably
-NO water in oil, none at all, oil is black so i would see it easy.
-intake off, see no signs of water anywhere, not even in head ports

So WTF? The water is going somewhere and coming out the exhaust from somewhere, only thing I can come up with is either a cracked intake or head into a coolant passage??????? Seems if the head gasket was blown from a coolant passage to a cylinder somewhere id NOT have a perfect compression test, or it would at least leak down after a few seconds a tad.

:mad: :wtf:

First I will say, wanna be techs & newbies dont post, i dont wanna weed through 3 pages of what you heard from uncle Fred. Im F'n serious, post up dumb **** and I will flame your ass to the dirt :cool:

I'm actually stumped boys, i just got this and it runs flawlessly, but it sat dead for few years, i assumed right off it might have frozen up in the winter, and guess what, something aint right.

Sounds simple right? "headgasket no brainer" right? HA! Not so easy diag. well heres the facts so far..

Facts:
-91' TBI 350
-spews steam & overheats

So WTF? The water is going somewhere and coming out the exhaust from somewhere, only thing I can come up with is either a cracked intake or head into a coolant passage??????? Seems if the head gasket was blown from a coolant passage to a cylinder somewhere id NOT have a perfect compression test, or it would at least leak down after a few seconds a tad.

Ok Do you run the engine with the scanner on it and watched the o2 sensor Oh does is engine run one or two o2 sensor. You should be able tell which side the coolant is comeing from by watching the changes of the two o2sensor.If intake is off already then remove cyl. head send out for Magflux and pressure test . I have seen some Small crack open up on the exhaust valve side under heat only. p.s. Did you check for exhaust gases in the Radiator They make a kit to test this . Does it pressurize the to quickly? Should be able to see something when heads are off(washed down cyl.) Do you have a bore scope? GOOD LUCK :corn:

Facts:
-91' TBI 350
-spews steam & overheats

Thats easy.

Use 4 gas to see if Co is present in the coolant. But at that point you are going to have to tear down and inspect. We typically never see internal leak issues with the tbi gaskets on the coolant end(have seen vacuum leaks).

Thats easy.

Use 4 gas to see if Co is present in the coolant. But at that point you are going to have to tear down and inspect. We typically never see internal leak issues with the tbi gaskets on the coolant end(have seen vacuum leaks).
I dont have it at work, its at my house, no 4 gas checker. intake it off, heads are on.. i did however notice when i turned the defrost on right before i tore it apart the window fogged steam bad, and the core might be leqaking and that could account for fluid loss and overheating, but not the severe steam it was puking..

so where am i getting the steam? its bad, thick bad...:wtf:

If your test for the gases still don;t narrow it down for you, as crappy as it may be, I would pull off the heads, tear them down (if you have the tools handy) and get them magnafluxed. Tacke the intake in and get it checked as well.

The chevy small blocks are notorious for cracking, a lot of them crack under the exhaust seats.. at the shop we had to run 4 sets of heads through to make sure to get 2 good ones (about 50% were cracked)

just make sure when you get them checked youtake them to someone that has experience checking for cracks.

the only other thing that it could be (off the top of the head) would be to check to make sure there are no hair-line cracks in the cylinder walls. this too will expand when heated up and will allow travel of coolant.

If you do pull off the heads, it should be clear as to which cylinder is the one pushing the coolant out the exhaust. Then I would focus on that area on the head and block.

i know, thats pretty well my last resort is magging them, my F'n magger got snapped in half and im still pissed. thats the only place i can see it coming from. and no it wont be clear, the engine is only 19k miles so everything still looks like new, brand new, so thats dosnt help LOL.

1)Bypass heater core.
2)Reassemble enigine, Fill with coolant.
3)Run vehicle for at least 30 mins make sure it doesn't over heat(if over heat skip to step 6)
4)If no internal coolant leaks are present (engine does not overheat) then procede to test drive. At some point during testdrive Steam does not clear and engine over heats proceed to step 6)
5)replace leaking heater core
6)remove heads form vehicle and take to local reputable machine shop. Inspect cylinder walls (it is not uncommon to see cracker cylinder walls in froze up engines) It is also common practice to inspect the cylinder walls prior to taking the heads into machine shop.
7)Reassemble engine with all bad parts replaced. If leaking heater core has not been replaced now is a good time to do so.
8)Enjoy new found non coolant loosing vehicle. More fun to drive with no on the side of the road misencounters of steaming engine.:silly15:

thanks guys, I fubarred this one, big waste of time :mad: i guess 2 shots of 20 minutes of running just didnt get the cat burned out clean, because i put it all back together, and ran it with the HC blocked off, and after about 30 minutes the damn thing just all the sudd4n belched from the cat and went clean, and stayed that way, engine all good, woo hoo!

thanks all.. now to swap this 19k engine into my perty new burb i just got :awesomework:

thanks guys, I fubarred this one, big waste of time :mad: i guess 2 shots of 20 minutes of running just didnt get the cat burned out clean, because i put it all back together, and ran it with the HC blocked off, and after about 30 minutes the damn thing just all the sudd4n belched from the cat and went clean, and stayed that way, engine all good, woo hoo!

thanks all.. now to swap this 19k engine into my perty new burb i just got :awesomework:

Fawking Newb!!!!!!!