• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Can I haz deezul?

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
Like the title says. Wait, that makes no sense. :spin:

I'm looking for a new tow pig. Tired of outgrowing gassers so I'm wanting to go 3500 this time. I've never owned a diesel before so I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for that I wouldn't already be checking on a gas truck. Obviously leaks, gunk, clunks etc. More specifically, I've got my eye on a 2015 duramax. It's tuned and deleted already. The truck seems fine and all but is there something I could be overlooking since I'm not familiar with diesels? Thanks

Yeah... I was going to refrain from saying what brand but figured I'd get the most info if I was specific. This truck has 85k on it already. Price seems right from the comparative shopping I've done. I'd never do that deal on a gasser but supposedly, mileage isn't too much of a concern when it comes to diesels. That being said and without knowing the previous owner, I'm leaning towards the 85k in 2 years is most likely highway. Maybe. Hopefully.

I also noticed what I believe are fuel filters hanging down in front of the rear drivers side wheel. What's up with that? I don't think they're factory.

If its tuned and deleted, there are "heavy haul" (+30-60hp) tunes and "Light Haul Tunes"(+100-150hp) I would want to know if the transmission has been tuned (If it has that is a good thing), That is what is going to get hurt if not. Also the, cp4 fuel pumps have been known to go out, if you are running high HP. I would recommend a lift pump if it does not have one.

I also noticed what I believe are fuel filters hanging down in front of the rear drivers side wheel. What's up with that? I don't think they're factory.
[/quote]

Sounds like it has a lift pump

dwa2469 said:
If its tuned and deleted, there are "heavy haul" (+30-60hp) tunes and "Light Haul Tunes"(+100-150hp) I would want to know if the transmission has been tuned, That is what is going to get hurt. Also the, cp4 fuel pumps have been known to go out, if you are running high HP. I would recommend a lift pump if it does not have one.
The sales guy said he thought it had about a 50 hp tune. I also noticed the tuner doohickey in the center console

Re:

The sales guy is retarded.....and I have no idea who he is. Verify everything before listening to them and GLWYFDP!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

You can kinda see them here
137484c89231edc424ea033479fda8d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowbudgetjunk said:
The sales guy is retarded.....and I have no idea who he is. Verify everything before listening to them and GLWYFDP!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
That's why I'm here. Lol
And TFTGLOMFDP!

Does it have a gooseneck in it? Is the paint wore off helpers if it has em, will tell ya if it's been loaded heavy much, and I'd ask to speak to the previous owner if they took it in on trade, they can give them your info and ask to call you, do a cardiac, I think you can get their name that way and try to track em down, that's a big purchase so I'd do the homework and should be buying a ford btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I dunno if Chevy does it but I know a guy with a newer f150 and it tells you how many miles the truck has pulled a trailer vs total miles. That's pretty cool

Re:

If I was buying a diesel I'd be looking for something completely stock and look likes it's been babied. The way people treat diesels is one of the things that scared me away from them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

customcj7 said:
85k in two years, deleted already, external secondary filters, I'm going heavy hauler/hotshot hauler.

Check that tranny big time.

Might have been bought in 14.?

That's how my 07 Duramax was.

I had a sales job that had me driving all over, 500-1000 miles a week average, plus wheelin trips to AL/KY every couple weekends. I put 200K on it in 3.5 years.

Zjman said:
Does it have a gooseneck in it? Is the paint wore off helpers if it has em, will tell ya if it's been loaded heavy much, and I'd ask to speak to the previous owner if they took it in on trade, they can give them your info and ask to call you, do a cardiac, I think you can get their name that way and try to track em down, that's a big purchase so I'd do the homework and should be buying a ford btw

No gooseneck. I have the carfax in hand. No info on the previous owner. Though it is showing radiator replaced at 24k, hoses and rad cap at 30k, oil pan replaced/repaired at 60k. Me wonders if it had some overheating issues.

gottagofast said:
Seeing spin on filters hanging under it would be enough for me to walk away.... jus sayin
customcj7 said:
85k in two years, deleted already, external secondary filters, I'm going heavy hauler/hotshot hauler.

Check that tranny big time.
onepieceatatime said:
If I was buying a diesel I'd be looking for something completely stock and look likes it's been babied. The way people treat diesels is one of the things that scared me away from them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
These are all kinda pointing towards the same idea, probably didn't have an easy life.

TBItoy said:
Might have been bought in 14.?

That's how my 07 Duramax was.

I had a sales job that had me driving all over, 500-1000 miles a week average, plus wheelin trips to AL/KY every couple weekends. I put 200K on it in 3.5 years.
It was bought in 15. One owner for 1 yr 11 mo. Averaged 43k per year.

I'm starting to think this one might not be for me. Luckily, it's not an outstanding deal or anything so no big loss. Also, they have plenty of other trucks to choose from.

With those repairs I'd run away from that one

If your willing to sacrifice Modern comfort and cool gadgets, shop around for a clean 7.3 powerstroke or a 12/24 valve cummins.. pull all you want at the fraction of initial cost and cheaper to maintain

I've got a lead on a clean, low mileage cummins. Only downside is it's an 8' bed which makes it looong. But as others said, the clean stock ones are probably the best bet.

Latest posts