• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Can we talk about the 1,000 hp elephant in the room?

I would LOVE to see some dyno sheets...

Mega truck and big (LEGITIMATE) hp mud truck guys laugh so hard at some of these bouncer guys. Like...they are the butt of non-stop jokes in that community based on their absolutely 100% false claims of hp numbers. This whole thing is as old as motorsports...everyone always puffing up the numbers a little bit. But its gotten to a comical point now where someone just looks at a shiny set of valve covers and reads the part description in the summit catalog and boom "that there is 5000hp"

Attachments

• 2p99pf.jpg
    2p99pf.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 516
I came off a hill last weekend (think it was tubrock) and someone from the peanut gallery asked who built my motor...
I said "GM"

muddinmetal said:
I really don't think a rock can tell the difference between 500 and 900 horsepower....

Neither do 90% of the nephsons in the woods, clearly. That's what this whole thread is about :rolf: :stir: :rolf: :stir:

Back in my street racing days, I did everything possible to under estimate the power, paint aluminum heads black, hide nitrous systems etc.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

zukimaster said:
Back in my street racing days, I did everything possible to under estimate the power, paint aluminum heads black, hide nitrous systems etc.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Right - you were trying to play it down, not play it up.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Momentum- Didn't make 1000hp, it might have made 800 at best but that is still doubtful.
Stand Back- 1400hp NA not on alcohol? I just don't see it.
Matt Schuessler might have hit the 1000hp mark with his Supercharged LS. I say that just because in person it seemed to have the most power out of any bouncer in the series last year but that could be 850-900
The Big Block with Procharger sitting in the shop now I have no doubt will be over 1000 at the crank but you lose around 50% through the drivetrain.

For example the Italian Job Turnkey crate engine was said to make 650-700 at the crank. We dynoed it at 350 at the wheels and it felt like it had a lot of power LOL.

My only input is a 441 sbc I built for a drag car a few years back. It had a Dart block with a raised cam centerline and widened pan rails. Wet sump, 12.5 degree Brodix heads, custom JE pistons (flat top), shaft mounted rockers. Most everything in this engine had to be assembled, measured, taken back down and then made to spec. I had the block decked to .001 piston/deck clearance and no ring chamfer. Heads also decked and intake port matched. We ran this engine N/A on gas, chassis dynoed @ 528 at the rear wheels. This particular car had a Powerglide and a 4.56 geared 9", 5500 stall converter if I remember correctly. It was a 5 second car in the 1/8 mile. It scared me to tell you the truth. I estimated the crank HP @ 750-775 maybe. All that being said, 1000 hp is going to be tough to get N/A in my opinion. I do see all these 600-1000 hp claims on cam swapped LS's and I chuckle a bit to myself, maybe they are achieving it. It would be a surprise to me though. :dblthumb:

My cammed and tuned lq4 made 458hp at the crank. I might make 500 with heads and bigger injectors. I was pretty pleased with it. One day I might make a stroker out of it to get around 575-600 at crank

There are definately areas of racing that exceed 2hp/ci but were not talking hobbiest level stuff. My question is how do you make these big HP numbers N/A and still have any kind of bottom end torque. These drag engines that are making 2+ hp a Ci are also doing it with huge head flow and giant cams that require 5,000+ stall converters. Most of these big hp engines make less torque than a stock LS below 3,000rpm, of course that doesnt matter in their intended drag race application.

I know firsthand that an engine that makes big torque numbers but mediocre hp numbers will hurt alot of feelings. Build 400lb/ft at 3,000rpm and you'll have people swearing youre making 600hp.

Dirt700 said:
My cammed and tuned lq4 made 458hp at the crank. I might make 500 with heads and bigger injectors. I was pretty pleased with it. One day I might make a stroker out of it to get around 575-600 at crank

Texas Speed told me that a stroker kit would only add about 15 hp with my stage 1 cam and LS3 heads but a much flatter and usable torque curve.

Sawzall said:
Texas Speed told me that a stroker kit would only add about 15 hp with my stage 1 cam and LS3 heads but a much flatter and usable torque curve.
$3k for 15 hp doesn't seem worth it. Turbo or lsa supercharger would yield more than that for same cost

Dirt700 said:
$3k for 15 hp doesn't seem worth it. Turbo or lsa supercharger would yield more than that for same cost

That is true. My LQ4 had hydro locked and bent a rod. I didn't trust the crank afterwards. I used the bare block and built the engine with new LS3 heads. Mine is supposed to be 565 and dynoed at 315 at the rear wheels. I can't imagine what 1000hp would feel like. I am having to learn to drive all over again with the increase that I have.

d_daffron said:
There are definately areas of racing that exceed 2hp/ci but were not talking hobbiest level stuff. My question is how do you make these big HP numbers N/A and still have any kind of bottom end torque. These drag engines that are making 2+ hp a Ci are also doing it with huge head flow and giant cams that require 5,000+ stall converters. Most of these big hp engines make less torque than a stock LS below 3,000rpm, of course that doesnt matter in their intended drag race application.

I know firsthand that an engine that makes big torque numbers but mediocre hp numbers will hurt alot of feelings. Build 400lb/ft at 3,000rpm and you'll have people swearing youre making 600hp.
We run a stock jeep 4.0 inline 6. aw4 trans with a dana 300 case filled with 4-1. 5.38 gears in dana 60s. Spool in the rear lunch box locker in the front. We have hurt quite a feeling of guys running the LS or big v8s. They find it hard to believe we can keep up with them. :rolf: We just Smile and head to the next hill.

This statement right here is so true! I have a great trail rig that makes decent numbers for what it is but it just works really well. People are like how much horsepower does that Jeep make?? And I always tell them it does not make that much horsepower but it makes great torque for a small block, and that is what gets the job done! (512ft/lbs on at the flywheel from the dyno)!

But then again I watched what I think is a Samari tube buggy with Toyota running gear make laps on Tub Rock this past weekend after several bouncers could not make it over the top! It probably weighed half as much and had 10% of the power, but it just worked! So what do I know! :dunno: