• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

centerforce clutch

roadracerrick

installed a new cf dual friction clutch in my 87 4runner. had the flywheel turned, throw out bear and pilot bearing replaced. wheeling around the house and it smoked. any ideas?

Last edited:
Did you break in the clutch? I have heard from alot of people that you should allow the clutch to have like a break in period since you are mating two fresh surfaces together. I dont know that this really matters It's just what I have heard several times so someone please correct me if I am wrong:booo:

i do not know what step. it is clearly marked which side goes to the tranny. and we checked it when we pulled it back out. it was correct.i drove it around the neighbor hood for a week or so.

Did you make sure to wipe the flywheel down clean after installing it? I don't think those have type of break in compound or antirusting agent you should wash off before install so thats my only guess...

centerforce requires a break in period of 500 "EASY" miles before being trounced on... its in the instructions, you must not of read them...

most early clutch failures are due to improper installation or adjustment break in is only 100% necessary if hauling heavy loads/towing

Looks like it wasnt fully engaging.
I assume you ordered the complete kit that included the special throwout bearing.

my centerforce break in consisted of a stop and go drive across town and back before I was side stepping the clutch.

i have hydraulic never broke the seal on that. i drove it around the neighbor hood not 500 miles. went to car toys. sure do not want to wreck my new diggers pavement pounding. i sprayed the fly wheel off with 3m brake clean when i put it on the end off the crank.

thats weird..
i have faithfully ran centerforce for years without a problem...always tryied to follow break in procedure.
never in a wheeler but in 5.0 mustangs pushing a couple extra horses,and also in my 68 roadrunner with a bigblock in it..the only problem i ever had was one time i dumped the clutch in the road runner at about 4000rpm.. the thing launched like crazy. one of the springs on the disc popped sideways(clutch had thousands of miles,and many hard launches)..

maybe call them up. see if they will warrenty the disc? might have had a problem before hand in manufacturing(doubtfull). but worth a try..

Bad clutch freeplay, slave isn't allowing the clutch disc to fully contact the flywheel. That would be my only guess if everything else is good.

all the centerforces I have installed have come with a orange papaer detailing how important it is to ADJUST the pedal properly.

dual friction, adjustments seemed fine. i called cf today they request i send it to them. in the mail tomorrow. just hate to put another new one in and the same thing happens again. the oil in the res. smells burnt also. real good excuse to put in the marlin 4 7 gears and bobbys output shaft in.

dual friction, adjustments seemed fine. i called cf today they request i send it to them. in the mail tomorrow. just hate to put another new one in and the same thing happens again. the oil in the res. smells burnt also. real good excuse to put in the marlin 4 7 gears and bobbys output shaft in.

The toy version of the dual friction is the worst of the bunch. I never ever recomend that clutch to my customers as there have been numbers of issues with it--the disk is simply too small and builds up too much heat.

Go with a II and be happy...

Latest posts