• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cherokee XJ

Neal3000 said:
None of them

Correct.

Even if you find an 87 with a 44 rear, it will have a vacuum disconnect front. The 8.25 is a better choice than a 35, but after market options are crap. Factory gearing is not good either. 4.10s are only available with 4 bangers, and if you do get a 4.0 and a stick to get some power and a lower 1st gear you get stuck with 3.07 axle gears. Factory leaves a lot to be desired. 34x10.50 ltbs on 2-3 inches with cut fenders and beat on it. Anything more than that and your fun will decrease accordingly imo

P.S. My Lexus handles 37s just fine :fish:

Re: Re: Cherokee XJ

I ran a zj with 35's, v8 and 3.73. D44a rear and d30 front. It was a constant battle keeping that thing together.

My advice, get something with a frame.

There was one on here for a while that was pretty well built for cheap. It was a grand Cherokee though

You need to find a '96 up with a non disconnect HP 30 & Chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines. They will handle 33's fine & 35's if you aren't too extreme with the skinny pedal.

However, I do agree with the frame suggestion.

Re: Re: Re: Cherokee XJ

mcmen0317 said:
What model XJ has the strongest axles to handle bigger tires? Don't want to have to swap them out immediately

The newer the better. (actually i think some ~00 up models had low pinion front axles)

Re: Cherokee XJ

Find a '97 newer, non ABS, it will have a 8.25" rear and a hp d30 with Spicer 797 u-joints, up grade axle shafts and it will help. But as everyone else said, find a XJ that has at least a 3/4 or 1 ton swap if you want to go larger than 35" tars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Cherokee XJ

99 is best year newer intake, last year if high pinion 30 non abs has the 8.25.....

All should hold to 35s as long as your not to crazy.

Re:

Ive got a 96, dana 30 front, chrysler 8.25 rear with chromos all the way around. I'm pretgy rough on it with 35"s and haven't had and trouble breaking shafts and stuff. But your milage may vary. Usually by the time you build em string enough to handle abuse you realize you have more in them than just doing a one ton swap to start with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

lawson1603 said:
I read once that a 99-01 is best BC they have the HP front and 8.25 rear

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Late '96 up have these axles. Late '00 & '01 have head issues. '97 up has the new interior. Body parts are cheaper & easier to find for the '96 down. Drivetrains are easily interchangeable. I am almost positive the biggest joints the XJ came with are 297, Dana 44 size. You can swap them out with full circle clip joints with a little grinding.

So....late '96 to '99 best XJ to get.

mcmen0317 said:
My budget was cut to 5k so as much as I want the 37s on the LX I just can't afford it. By bigger tire I mean 33 to 35

If you are wanting to go the SUV route of a trail 4x4, there are several 4runners etc to be had well within that price range. Just another option on the market.

Re: Re: Re: Cherokee XJ

ridered3 said:
If you are wanting to go the SUV route of a trail 4x4, there are several 4runners etc to be had well within that price range. Just another option on the market.
or several other vehicles with frames that prevent the body from tweaking and not letting your doors close every time that you park on a speed bump. Pathfinders, samurai, wagoneers, etc....

Latest posts