• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chev 4.3 coil problems?

outhouse

i have 12 volts going to my coil and its my second coil thats smoked. after having my key on for about 2 minutes it starts smoking. does anyone have any idea on why the f k its doing this.:mad:

Gotta be something pulling the neg side of coil to ground, charging the coil...otherwise, there should be no load until it gets triggered...

Are you running a factory coil?
It needs to be matched to the system. There are different internal resistances for point/electronic systems.

Also make sure there is no tach or other add on devices connected.

The only connection should be from the distr ICM and the coil.

Are you running a factory coil?
It needs to be matched to the system. There are different internal resistances for point/electronic systems.

Also make sure there is no tach or other add on devices connected.

The only connection should be from the distr ICM and the coil.

ya its the factory coil. the two wires are going from the coil to the dist. are hook up and then i have the red wire to ign. and the white wire to ground. i was talking to grama and he was saying that the coil grounds from the mount to the motor. if thats true where's the white wire suposta go if its not the ground?

pos side of a coil is hot 12v, neg side of the coil is trigger ie: points, ignition modual, etc... the coil grounds its self theru the spark plug...
running neg to ground WILL smoke it..

pos side of a coil is hot 12v, neg side of the coil is trigger ie: points, ignition modual, etc... the coil grounds its self theru the spark plug...
running neg (white) to ground WILL smoke it..

X2....And so we are familiar with which system you have exactly, pics???

are we trying to wire a 4.3 coil to a toy harness? complete 4.3 harnes, homeschool booty fab speakerwire and butconectors ? throw us a bone and we'll try to help...

LOL
Not the first time I saw someone think + and - meant 12v and gnd.

This may help.

1534EST_diagram.jpg

1534EST1.jpg

Last edited:
alright cool guys thanks iv got it dialed in. i thought the white wire was (-) but it is to the gauge cluster, im geussing tach. got it running tho.:awesomework: and i think its an 1988-1992 tbi.