• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

chevy 1500

blackcj71

SOooooooo i've got the hook up on a 2005 chevy silverado with 5.3l that im thinking about buying but only ting im worried about is towing the jeep around... Aside from gas what other problems do you for see? yaya diesels the way to go but price wise i cant beat what i can get this truck for. good idea or not so good?:corn:

For towing a flatbed and your heep only it will work just fine. Hell Marshall yanked his beast around with that little f-150 For a while.

Mark M. Pulls with his 4.7 tundra and says he has no complaints (last time i talked to him)

Only thing that would worry me is that all I've heard about the 5.3 is it's a bit sluggish, and the 6.0 would definitely be a better option. But if ya don't mind goin a little slower I doubt you'll have a problem.

I used to tow with a 1/2 ton chevy with a 5.7L. It would tow it but if you want to go over a mountain pass be ready for 45 to 50 mph. Also at best I got 7mpg towing. Nothing like towing to Utah and back and spending $1500 bucks on gasoline. Just buy a diesel the first time.

yaaaaaa..... not so much into gettin an old piece of **** :flipoff: Dont make me slap you crusty:kissmyass:

You'll be slapping yourself when that old piece of **** passes you, doesn't have to stop for fuel as often, and handles a trailer better than your 1/2 ton gasser. But, hey, whatever looks cool, right? :awesomework:

How heavies your Heep?

My current towrig is a '04 1500 with the 'little' 4.7. Tows my 3700lbs Scout (and probably 2K trailer) around just fine.

Plenty of power (USE 'tow/haul mode) to scoot down the road just fine and pulled Chinook pass this summer as fast as I wanted to (not much reserve, but it was plenty fast). Faster and more reserved than my f-in-laws 454 1-ton (but its kind of gutless).

Get a wight distributing hitch and use it. Air bags would probably be nice but it work OK as is.

DSCN1981.sized.jpg

(I have since cranked the bars up a little more)

O-ya, and empty/daily use I get about 15-16 mpg, towing locally I was getting around 12.... not overly bad. Oil changed are cheaper too :D

If you like the truck, and don't need a 3/4-ton, go for it. Greatest tow-rig in the world, no... adequate.... yes and probably handles and rids better than any old Diesel 1-ton in the same price range.

All that said, would I like a Diesel, YES. Do I tow or would I use it enough to justify it right now.... no :booo:
________
List Of Gm Bellhousing Patterns History

Last edited:
there is nothing wrong with towing with a 1500 you are just going to be going slower and putting a lot more stress on the truck itself. A buddy of mine has one and blew the tranny at 25000 miles just towing a 16' enclosed trailer with quads in it. Thats really the only thing you need to watch out of is the tranny on them. Make sure to get a tranny temp gauge and a bigger tranny cooler on it if you do end up buying it

Hmmmm.... I paid 5800 doughnuts for my "POS" '92 one ton dually 1st gen CTD with 107k miles on it. It'll pull nicely for another 200k miles, at least. :D