• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chris's toy (Sandtrap1986)

Perfect is vertical(or near). One reason for running those bilstien shocks is they still offer great operation when canted like they are/help minimize body roll (granted vertical is still preferred).

Even stock they are canted about 5 degrees but are mounted low below the diff tube.

It actually lowers the performance of the shock.

When angled like that, the shock only sees about half the stroke that the axle does. At a 45 degree angle the shock only is 50% effective. When mounted straight up and down, the shock has full dampening ability, 100% effective.

Angled like that also does NOTHING to combat body roll. The body can be tipped way far from one side to the other but the shock will only cycle in and out an inch or so.

But if performance is not the goal, it helps fit a huge shock in a small spot. Also lets a guy use a short shock since the travel is cut in half.

This rig could never (imo) bottom out or top out those shocks with them angled over like that.

Yep and those shocks performance is subpar at best :eeek:
But hey there shiny :awesomework:

It actually lowers the performance of the shock.

When angled like that, the shock only sees about half the stroke that the axle does. At a 45 degree angle the shock only is 50% effective. When mounted straight up and down, the shock has full dampening ability, 100% effective.

Angled like that also does NOTHING to combat body roll. The body can be tipped way far from one side to the other but the shock will only cycle in and out an inch or so.

But if performance is not the goal, it helps fit a huge shock in a small spot. Also lets a guy use a short shock since the travel is cut in half.

This rig could never (imo) bottom out or top out those shocks with them angled over like that.
I just cut a hole in each side of my bed and used ford mounts to make them straight up & down and I get full travel out of them. Simple and cheap.

Sorry chris--I saw something shiney and got distracted.

chris-305.jpg

So talking with Howell they are saying I could just send it in and get that code flashed off but that is pretty much it unless I want to buy a while new one. From speaking with him he says it won't affect anything if I leave it what are your thought mike?

Also from the computer code they are saying that the harness and computer are for a 96-97 4.3 so if the motor is really for a 99 that could cause the issue

96-99 there is zero difference with the CMP sensor and the wiring with the sensor. The 2 inputs from the CMP to the VCM are even the same connector/terminals. All the sensors on the motor are even the same and interchangeable. The only thing I have seen different thru a couple years was what terminals were used for the injectors but that is irrelevant to what we have.

Also reflashing the VCM to eliminate the code is also wrong/wrong thing to do. This system requires the CMP sensor for sequential injection.

Make sense to me Mike I will give them a call and just push the order through for that new computer thanks for looking that up