• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Chrome moly D44 knuckles?

I asked: How do you know these are 4140? They look like painted factory knuckles.

Seller replied:
The silver color you see is clear zinc.
When you receive the parts you will be able to tell these are not ductile iron by looking at the surfaces where the parts were machined (the machined areas do not have any zinc). Ductile iron parts have a high carbon content, this will show up as pits or gains in the machined areas.
Also, if you cannot tell a difference from these 4140 knuckles versus the ductile iron knuckles, then just put them on a scale, the 4140 parts weigh about 1 pound more per knuckle than the ductile iron knuckles due to the material composition (iron, chromium, molybdenum, etc).
In addition I work closely with each of my suppliers and I have their parts tested. I

I'll be following this. Not that I need knuckles but if I ever do brake one It would be nice to have options available.

I do find it hard to believe tough.

Is there a need for cro-mo D44 knuckles??? I don't remember there being a huge issue with D44 knuckle failures.

No D60 knuckles with Highsteer.... I've seen Binder tear a couple of those. Still have dents/scratches in the liner in the back of my truck from bombing the trails with one of his in the back of my truck after Crash welded it up :D
________
MARRIAGE ADVICE FORUM

Last edited:
Is there a need for cro-mo D44 knuckles??? I don't remember there being a huge issue with D44 knuckle failures.

No D60 knuckles with Highsteer.... I've seen Binder tear a couple of those. Still have dents/scratches in the liner in the back of my truck from bombing the trails with one of his in the back of my truck after Crash welded it up :D

:redneck::redneck::redneck:

I have seen a few knuckles rip the material around the lower ball joint. But I have never seen one fail like a ford 60 knuckle does.

Me:
Hi, are these a factory Dana Spicer part or aftermarket?

Him:
These are aftermarket parts. The Dana Corp stopped making these knuckles in 1975. In addition the Dana Corp made ductile iron knuckles not 4140 chromoly steel knuckles.

Aaron

Even if they are factory pieces that have been cleaned, coated, machined and new spindle studs installed, it is not too high of a price.