• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Coilover Spring Setup/tune

zayne2427

There's only one way to find out
I've done a ton of reading on here and pirate, and got some good opinions from some good buddies that are much more knowledgeable on suspensions than I am. Trying to set up my coil springs. All the springs I have are either too short or too heavy so looking for opinions from the tech guys.

I have probably 10 springs in the 12'' and 14'' variety in various sizes from 150-400 if anyone needs some

talked with a buddy of mine and his rig (full body yj) is around 4250 lbs and mine 4 seater is 4750
his springs are
- front 175 over 200
- rear 150 over 200.

-another buddy suggested
front 125/200
rear 100/150

-Currently running Sway A Way Racerunner 16" remote reservoir coilovers. Roughly 8" of shaft showing at ride height

-Another buddy said since I have tender springs I could go
front 14-16" 125 over 225-250
rear 16-18" 125 over 200

Total Weight of Buggy using corner scales. This was before I stretched the front 3.5". Wheelbase now at 118.5
Front left 1277 Front right 1287
Rear left 1099 Rear Left1079

Ford hp 60 with double ended Ram amd rear 14bolt with Rockwell steering outers so a good bit of my weight is down low

Update 11/13/16

George @ Angry Fab let me borrow some springs
-Fronts are 16"-150 over 18"200
-Rears are. 16"-100 over 18" 150

Got them on yesterday and went and rode some private land.
Zero preload and ride height was still a little taller than planned but manageable
-8.5" front shaft showing
-7 3/4" rear shaft showing
-22 3/4" belly height
With any preload, it would put me taller than I need to be
. Ride was 100% smoother than the heavy springs that were on it but the body roll is definitely something to get used to even with a rear sway bar. Need to recheck my nitrogen pressures and see if i can adjust height there some. Will try and get some better measurements and get some opinions on getting this big ole girl dialed in a little better

Re: Coil Spring Setup

Use this calculator to figure out what rates you need to get 1-2" preload on the springs. I'll try to run some numbers tonight after work to help.

How much preload do you currently have?

Is your current ride height what you want for the 8" shaft showing?

Can you measure how much the current springs are each compressed at ride height?

What's is the length and rate of the springs currently installed?

That's my big problem is the current springs are paid ted so do t have a clue of the spring weights. I'll know my ride height a little better tonight when I put my new longer front links on and check for clearance. Trying to set up as low as possible. Got plenty of room to drop in the rear. Hopefully get the front with about 6" of up travel before it hits anything

Just noticed this so I will copy it over here.

I won't say I have any better ideas but my buggy is at 4650 lbs with me in it. When I had my shocks measured for coil spring rates I was lil heavy. Basically had same set up you posted above. For sure not saying my setup is better for you but did make a difference in mine. Mine still needs to be tuned badly.

My current set up:

7.5" of shock shaft showing all shocks

Fronts are 125 lbs 16" over 200 lbs 16"
Backs are 100 lbs 16" over 125 lbs 16"

Wayne suggested I needed to run a 14" upper and a 18" lower on the back to be optimal.

If you're running 16's all around, I'd suggest an 18" lower spring and a 16" upper spring. As far as spring weights, are you going to do anything with valving?

wizzo said:
If you're running 16's all around, I'd suggest an 18" lower spring and a 16" upper spring. As far as spring weights, are you going to do anything with valving?

Yup, comparing spring rates on other rigs won't get you anywhere unless you you are also comparing springs of the same length.

wizzo said:
Not at this time. They were originally setup by WOD on a Buggy similar to mine. Don't know if they changed valving or not

I learned a lot when doing the springs on my stuff last time. The weights do matter, but something that needs considering is the angle they are mounted at. Different angles compress differently. Maybe you could borrow a couple of springs with known weights and put them on each end and measure to see how much they compress? There are lots more guys on here more knowledgeable than me on this subject, but hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Coil Spring Setup

stano said:
I learned a lot when doing the springs on my stuff last time. The weights do matter, but something that needs considering is the angle they are mounted at. Different angles compress differently. Maybe you could borrow a couple of springs with known weights and put them on each end and measure to see how much they compress? There are lots more guys on here more knowledgeable than me on this subject, but hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a fact.

Not a story about a crawler, but when I bought my Polaris Ranger, first I bought a Highlifter 2" bracket lift and it moved the upper shock mounts outward about 2-3" from where they were stock, shocks nearing straight up and down. No added preload on shocks or any other change and it rode like absolute ass. I couldn't believe the ride difference. I rode it once with it on, came home and took it straight off. Done some research and found a lower bracket lift that mounted on the a-arms, lifted the same height but maintained oem shock angles, rode just as soft as stock.

Just a few degrees can make a big difference in damping rate.

4 li k and drive shaft back together. WB at 118. Front is at ride height
16" shock with 8" of shaft showing with give me 6" of up travel before anything touches. The rear will drop down about 4 inches from where it is in the pics when it get weight put on it and will have about 7.5-8" of shaft showing. Now just have to figure this spring situation out. Called about everyone close by that I know that trying to find springs to borrow.

zayne2427 said:
Not at this time. They were originally setup by WOD on a Buggy similar to mine. Don't know if they changed valving or not

Slight derail but is that Brandon Reed's old buggy that Adam built back in the late 90's? :dunno:

CHASMAN9 said:
Slight derail but is that Brandon Reed's old buggy that Adam built back in the late 90's? :dunno:

Yes, WOD built it a while back. Halcat on the forum, has it now.

It looks like you're in good shape because you already have springs to use for measuring, make sure you know what spring rates they are.

You want to get rid of the tender coils, they prevent the axle from drooping properly, and reduce traction at full droop.

There are a few measurement people will need to calculate your spring rates, here is a run down of how to take those measurements:
http://accutuneoffroad.com/articles/how-to-calculate-new-preload-and-springs-by-using-existing-springs/

thats my big problem. all of those purple springs have been painted and dont have a clue what the rates are

zayne2427 said:
thats my big problem. all of those purple springs have been painted and dont have a clue what the rates are

Well that certainly makes it harder.

Do you have any four springs with known rates?
Can you borrow springs from a friend?

Preload is the best method for selecting spring rates, but you could also just measure deflection of a single spring and get fairly close.

i think i do have at least 4. 12 and 14'springs with weights listed on them. ill dig them out and throw them on the front to get some measurements

Re:

No more than they cost, it would save you a lot of headache to make a pretty good guess on what you need, and order them from somewhere like EOR that will exchange them if they aren't right

not bad until you have to buy 8 of them...hoping i can find some used reasonable. sucks when you have 12 springs laying at the house and none are what i need...

zayne2427 said:
not bad until you have to buy 8 of them...hoping i can find some used reasonable. sucks when you have 12 springs laying at the house and none are what i need...

Lol that's the name of the game, isn't it - Hemorrhage money til it's no longer fun? molaugh

Latest posts