• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

coolant leak on my 4.0ho

dumpsterdriver

hey i was wondering if any body else has had coolant leaking out from behind the water pump pulley. it doesnt look like its leaking around the water pump housing, just right in the middle like the wp impeller shaft seal or something. im just trying to figger out if i need a new wp before i take it apart.

thanks, james

You need a water pump...there's a weep hole behind the pulley---or it's leaking out the impeller shaft seal....regardless, get a new one on before it overheats!!!:awesomework: Easy to do too...pull the Aux electric fan, remove the P/s pump and lay it aside (without disconnecting lines), remove the P/s pump mounting bracketry, and it's wide open from there---4 bolts!!!

I had a guy at autozone, tell me to plug the weep hole so that it never leaks, i told him thanks for the advice and moved along. That's all Back on topic now

I have a 97 4.0. I don't know which ones are HO or not but, as soon as mine started to leak a little, I tried to drive a few miles to my dads garage and it just opened up and poured out. If I remember right he said thats what that hole is for in the middle there. As soon as you smell it and determine that coolant is coming out of the pump, you really have no time.

Plugging the hole can't be right because coolant will fill into the wrong cavity.