• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Crawler to RZR

money_pit_yj

After talking with Blue31 (who we ride with) I realized we are both thinking the same thing.

Wondering about what folks that have switched from a Jeep/buggy to an RZR and what their thoughts are. We get to ride about 5 or 6 times a year and the rest of the time it sits in the garage. I love riding and have no plans to go anywhere as far as leaving the off road scene but I just think another RZR would be more practical than a jeep that moves 6 times a year. As we get more involved with the Church on The Rocks ministry, I am thinking it may be better to have an RZR for mobility and ease of transport. Any of you guys who have switched regret it? I love my jeep and so do my boys but I really just like being in the woods hanging out with folks and riding. What are y'alls thoughts?

money_pit_yj said:
After talking with Blue31 (who we ride with) I realized we are both thinking the same thing.

Wondering about what folks that have switched from a Jeep/buggy to an RZR and what their thoughts are. We get to ride about 5 or 6 times a year and the rest of the time it sits in the garage. I love riding and have no plans to go anywhere as far as leaving the off road scene but I just think another RZR would be more practical than a jeep that moves 6 times a year. As we get more involved with the Church on The Rocks ministry, I am thinking it may be better to have an RZR for mobility and ease of transport. Any of you guys who have switched regret it? I love my jeep and so do my boys but I really just like being in the woods hanging out with folks and riding. What are y'alls thoughts?

Mine ain't a rzr, but will follow most rzr's unless yer hill shooting...and I wouldn't hill shoot even if I had a rzr. Lol

It's a completely different kind of riding. Even with my Ranger lifted on 30's, the small tire size and wheel base/width compared to a buggy does just what you think it would, makes trails that you once viewed as easy, hard now. I have been to Choccolocco several times and tried to follow my crawler buddies and get lost on the trails because there are so many long rough rock garden type trails there that has no quick bypass without going a long way around and meeting on the other side. Parks like Morris Mtn, Hawk Pride, and others similar, it wouldn't be as difficult to stay together with buggies.

Now, there is a place local that is a wildlife management area and I ride there with all my buddies that have rangers and rzr's and some 4wheelers, and we have a damn blast. It's like scaled down offroad park that fits a sxs. There is super hard crawling stuff that I have busted my plastic rockers up on, long easy trails to drive fast on, several rocky creek beds either dry or full of water. And I absolutely love that place....but I'm not riding with crawlers. All in all, it's more fun on a sxs when you are running with other sxs's, so that you can all stay together and hit the same stuff. But at certain parks, you can still roll with the buggies too and follow them around.

I miss my crawler sometimes but I don't miss the expenses, plus I was kinda getting burnt out on it at the time. I have enjoyed the **** out of my Ranger. Once I spent the initial $3k on suspension, windshield, roof, wheels, tires, etc. I was done with it. I haven't spent a dime on it in 6 months. All I've done is put gas in it and change the oil once. Super low maintenance unless you drive like a moron and tear it up all the time. That part I love. Ride it, wash it, park it, repeat. And it's handy around the house, I ride the roads around where I live sometimes, ride it over to friends' houses that live close. So I'm happy with it and plan to keep it if I ever do get back into a buggy.

I couldn't fit in a rzr bc of my prosthesis, but I could fit in a General...if I ever get the itch to upgrade, it will be to a General. 100hp, usable utility bed, big suspension, and can fit 30's on stock suspension. Ready to go pretty much out of the box. They are fun for sure, sounds like you would get more enjoyment out of one since you aren't wheeling your full size rig much anymore.

If you aren't sure, don't buy a new one. There are several out there that are still in near stock form that's been taken care of and you get to save a fair amount over buying new. I am glad I bought new, because I am happy with it and gonna keep it for a while. If you find a good deal in a super clean used one with low miles and hours that's a couple years old, that means you should be able to sell it and get most, if not all, of your money back out of it should you decide that you like the sxs scene well enough to justify buying a bigger better new one.

Well I sold my buggy and bought a couple of rzrs, the number one reason for doing so is where I live you can ride them legally in town and in the surrounding area. That part of having a rzr is great. I mean hey its fast, you can jump it, or pretty much anything you would want to. The down side of that is several of my buddies still have their buggys, some have sxs, but most have buggies. When we go ride you can do a lot with a stock rzr or whatever sxs you have. Whats bad is when it comes to big obstacles you only get to watch. The up side is you can cover way more ground at a faster pace. They are also less maintenance in my opinion. But I sure do miss my buggy. But I have also used my rzrs a lot more than I ever got to use my buggy. I'll have another buggy someday, I get bored with toys, and like to change it up sometimes. I'd trade mine, but I'm just fine with keeping it also.

money_pit_yj said:

I've spent a year getting a buggy together. Exactly what I've always wanted. I had 4 wheelers until I got into wheeling 16,17 years ago. Ive had jeeps, Toyotas and zuks are probably my favorite , I'll say selling it has entered my mind. And it's brand new. Maybe going everywhere I point it has taken out the fun??????? Never been in a rzr but I think I know where your coming from.

money_pit_yj said:
I knew it was out there, I just could not find it! Hia buggy was a smidge nicer than mine molaugh

Ha. I had a hard time finding it. Took about 5 min but figured it might help. Always good to get lots of feedback on a decision like that.

For me I have a old v8 CJ on rocks and SxS but would get rid of the SxS before my rig.

I miss a full size buggy for sure, I built my Rzr buggy to have the best of both worlds. Sxs's are bottom line way less maintanence and if you live in a rural area, you can get it out of your system any afternoon. I am blessed to have big hills and creeks in driving distance on a sxs here. So I know I'll always have some type of utv. Now, if wheeling went back to what I grew up in (trail riding) and my boy was old enough to enjoy it. I'd buy another buggy. But I don't see that happening. So the conclusion is, I miss a full size rig, but I have no use for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 5 Jeeps, and the last one only having 1600 miles on it after 6 years, I am like the above. I miss them but won't go back to a full size wheeler. I recently picked up a mildly built YJ that I am taking back to street driving to get ice cream with the kid.

I am on my second RZR now and found that my time in the woods went from 5-6 days a year to 35-40 days a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as many have posted I to have had a wide range of offroad veh,I lost touch with trail riding due to racing for a few years.
after getting rid of my buggie I missed it and was getting ready to build another and decided I needed something my whole family could enjoy,
so we bought a couple of rzrs and now close to 2 years later my only regret was not getting a rzr sooner,
yes you will have to work on it sooner or later but not every time you take it out.

If you can drive responsibly, a rzr is fantastic. Sold my buggy on stickies that got it for a RZR. Location has a lot to do with it. The reason my buggy sat was that it is 3 plus hours to wheel anywhere that challenges a buggy that gets it on. The RZR is fun around here. Lots more things are challenging on a rzr, but it can do more fun things, provided you like to go fast and get the tires in the air. I now have a 4 door jeep that the family and I can look at leaves in CO/Moab/etc in, and a few RZR's.
Get a 900xp 13/14 or a 1k if you have to. There are lots of things to fix on a 1k to keep it together, I finally have mine sorted. I found it was a grand every other time I took my buggy out and beat it, the rzr is MUCH cheaper if you don't break front diffs like a dipshit

So if you get an RZR do you have to listen to Hick Hop and put a bunch of obnoxious lights and be a Dbag or can you just be low key and chill and ride?

money_pit_yj said:
So if you get an RZR do you have to listen to Hick Hop and put a bunch of obnoxious lights and be a Dbag or can you just be low key and chill and ride?

You don't have to .... but I'm sure you will :popcorn:

money_pit_yj said:

I still stand by my response in the above linked post. Different but fun. My rzr is still low maintenance. I bought the warranty and have used it on one bent but not broken axle shaft. That is it.

No lights or dbaggery allowed in my rzr....but it's for sale so you could do whatever you want! Lol!

Re:

Ive been extremely tempted. Im 4 hrs away from anything good. That's also the reason my current build is trying to remain streetable but strong cause driving 4 hrs and breaking first trail sucks. Wish i could just go rzr

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I e tried giving up the buggy for a rzr but it was killing me to watch everyone play on the big obstacles. Now I have buggy and rzr. Usually trailer them both if we go a long way from home. I always start out in the buggy and will now wheel it way harder than before, but if it brakes, I go get the rzr. One thing that is more fun in the rzr is I live only a half hour from silver lake sand dunes. Dune running is way better in the rzr than a crawler