• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Crazy Blaze

benfowler87

Started out life as a perfectly good two door ZR2 Blazer. I bought it from my cousin with only 98,500 miles on it and everything still worked. put a set of 31" mud grips on it the week I bought it. Took it to my buddy Drew's (86tank) shop the night before Gray Roock Toy's for Tot's 2009, and Haley (wontwork) welded up the rear end. Trailered it to Gray Rock and the carnage began. Broke a right rear axle shafft fully committed on Bowl Hole. The brake rotor and caliper was holding the axle, wheel, and tire on. Should have went to the trailer then but continued to wheel. Broke a right front CV in the Canyon, so at this point the left rear was all that was pulling. Continued to the 160 Loop. At the point JRich (cheapj7) was driving. Lost all brakes and rear ended Drew. Completely demolished the front end. busted the grille, both head lights, both blinkers, bent the bumper up, and bent the core suport. Trent (landyacht) began to tow us out. Drivers door and rear quarter panel got raped by a stump but we kept kicking. It was bouncing off the rev limiter coming up the hill by the creek and the servive engine light started flashing, not came on but flashing. Finally got it loaded up n headed home. It sat in the old Body Shop at Carl Cannon and didn't really get touched. after New Years I took it to the Walker County Center of Technology to Haley's welding shop. All the IFS crap got cut out and the rear end removed. Bought a Danna 44 and a Ford 9" for it. The axles have 5:13 gears, a spool in the rear, and welded front. The 44 had to be completely rebuilt. Replaced all the bearings and ball joints then installed some Warn Premium Locking hubs. The rear went in fairly simple. Just did a spring over on the stock springs. I bought a BTF disk brake kit, 87 Chevy truck front calipers, and rotors for a 96 Dodge Ram 1500. Three linking the front with QA1 5/8's x 3/4 hiems and 1" 3/4 3/8s wall DOM tubing on F150 coil springs. Got some 2 x 3 3/16s to make the rock sliders and front bumper out of. I'm gonna put the winch off of my GMC on it, it's a Warn 9.5ti. should be plenty for a little Blazer. Got an after market grille, hood, headlights, and blinkers really helped out how it looked. removing the doors to run tube doors. Ordered some spring loaded t handles from Poly Performance to use as latches. The axles came with a set of 34" Super Swamper LTB's with good tread. so im gonna rock them out for now. probably upgrade to a set of 36's when i get some new ones. Big thanks to Haley, Drew and the whoole WCCT welding for for all the help. it should be rolling shortly.

IFS out and the 44 centered under it. The rear is done here.
b6ba3059.jpg

Grille and all the lights installed with the lower links on.
190a0db0.jpg

Upper link on with the fancy bracket.
dfd68296.jpg

Upper link tied into the lower. Shouldn't have any problems with it trying to bend with it being 3/8s wall tubing.
2d01f97c.jpg

Coil buckets on.
555cb062.jpg

Sitting on the coils.
75c0bddb.jpg

Should be a full roller with all welds done next wk. Students like working on things of this nature and so does the teacher ;)

wontwork said:
Should be a full roller with all welds done next wk. Students like working on things of this nature and so does the teacher ;)
As a former student i can say these are the best projects WCCT has to offer by far.

does it have the radius link on the right as well or just the left? if its on both sides, that binds on articulations, the way the "long arm" companies get away with it is putting poly in there to deflect. Just like stock jeeps with a "5 link" designed to bind on artic, just put rubber in.

blacksheep10 said:
does it have the radius link on the right as well or just the left? if its on both sides, that binds on articulations, the way the "long arm" companies get away with it is putting poly in there to deflect. Just like stock jeeps with a "5 link" designed to bind on artic, just put rubber in.

Nope. Just on left side.

Ditch those stiff coils and get on one of the early bronco sites and find you set of progressive rate coils. New sets start at 140$ for 3.5" and used sets can be had for 50-100$ depending on brand and age.

Now if you could only get 86tank to donate you one of those bigassmudwhompinpartsflyinballbustin motors, you could be the crap out of Cablehill. :driving:

Other than that, great conversion Ben. Keep it up :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
Now if you could only get 86tank to donate you one of those bigassmudwhompinpartsflyinballbustin motors, you could be the crap out of Cablehill. :driving:

S10 Blazer + 621 + Cable Hill = A goodtime.

Besides the fact that all other parts would fail with the first throttle bump.

COOL BUILD MAN.....them thangs look tough with bigger tires under em FO SHO , can,t wait to watch you DENTING & SCRAPIN that thangs body ALL UP....while GIGGLIN OFCOURSE :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:

Hes got enough power to keep it tore up as it is already. Besides I just dont think hes ready for that kind of whom pow :flipoff1:

zukiscott said:
COOL BUILD MAN.....them thangs look tough with bigger tires under em FO SHO , can,t wait to watch you DENTING & SCRAPIN that thangs body ALL UP....while GIGGLIN OFCOURSE :dblthumb:

Oh trust me I'll beat on it.

A few pictures to go along with the story.
pic of wreck
SDC11442.jpg

another pic after wreck
SDC11441.jpg

dont care anymore lets shotgun a beer
SDC11446.jpg

Jrich loading unit for Ben
SDC11449.jpg