• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

D300s: ... school me

MIG'DHORSE

Interested in a toy to D300. Anyone running it?

School me on the D300, I've pondered getting one for a long time, but haven't because they're somewhat expensive, and I simply dont understand them.

Soooo...

what should I look for if i decide that i'm in the market for one? What's the stock ratio? What kind of gearset options do I have? Anyone have this setup and recommend it? It would be nice to clock it flat for clearance, and twin stick it for fun.

Thanks for any replies!

:beer:

Dana 300 is a gear driven case with a stock low of 2.62/1 and the gear options you have for it a 3.15/1 and 4/1. The gears for these are expensive they are anywhere from 600-800 dollars. If you build it and twinstick it it will cost you about the same as it did me to flip it into my jeep. Flipped into my jeep I was into it 1300$ without changing the output shafts to the HD ones. HTH

Dana 300 is a gear driven case with a stock low of 2.62/1 and the gear options you have for it a 3.15/1 and 4/1. The gears for these are expensive they are anywhere from 600-800 dollars. If you build it and twinstick it it will cost you about the same as it did me to flip it into my jeep. Flipped into my jeep I was into it 1300$ without changing the output shafts to the HD ones. HTH

hmmm.. i dont know if i can justify that kind of price hahaha. thanks for the info. still interested, though. american **** just costs more that yota i guess.:beer:

comparing the cases, the D300 seems to be a stout case, though. you can flip and clock it any way you want, you can twin stick it, and burly outputs. hmm.

hmmm.. i dont know if i can justify that kind of price hahaha. thanks for the info. still interested, though. american **** just costs more that yota i guess.:beer:

comparing the cases, the D300 seems to be a stout case, though. you can flip and clock it any way you want, you can twin stick it, and burly outputs. hmm.

welcome to jeep parts. now pay up sucka!!

I have a stock 300 behind a C-6 with a clocking ring to get it flat.I payed $300 for the case maybe $75(cheaper than my time/materials to make) for the clocking ring and made my own twin sticks. The combo of the automatic and 6.17's in the diff's allows for the 2.62 in the case,it's a little high at times but suits my style.Seems like you could put a toy case in front of it with a gear set and have the front dig aspect of the 300.I don't know 'bout toy stuff but seams like someone would make an adapter or make youre own.I beat on my 300 pretty good but it also makes me nervous as it is definetly the weak link in my setup.AS long as you don't waste a bunch of $ "upgrading"the 300, it is a cheap way to go. IMNSHO once you start thinking 'bout spending 1K up on a 3hundo.......just buy an Atlas.

I have a stock 300 behind a C-6 with a clocking ring to get it flat.I payed $300 for the case maybe $75(cheaper than my time/materials to make) for the clocking ring and made my own twin sticks. The combo of the automatic and 6.17's in the diff's allows for the 2.62 in the case,it's a little high at times but suits my style.Seems like you could put a toy case in front of it with a gear set and have the front dig aspect of the 300.I don't know 'bout toy stuff but seams like someone would make an adapter or make youre own.I beat on my 300 pretty good but it also makes me nervous as it is definetly the weak link in my setup.AS long as you don't waste a bunch of $ "upgrading"the 300, it is a cheap way to go. IMNSHO once you start thinking 'bout spending 1K up on a 3hundo.......just buy an Atlas.

i never thought of a geared toy crawl box / D300. hmmm. i'd have a similar gear selection to what i have now. i'd have to figure out another option for an adapter, because the OTT adapter is like $550:eeek: thanks for the info.:awesomework:

i doubt i'd need the HD output, as the stock 300 outputs are stronger than a toy output. i couldnt justify 32 splines behind a 22re unless i had cash to burn. if i do this im keeping the 300 stock besides a twinstick, i think... at least until i get a horsepower gain and tons. but thats a dream for now. thus far this build is your typical toy, so D300 would be a strange twist in the drivetrain.

thanks for the help, guys.

also, i assume i still need the crawlbox adapter for the toyota, and the 300 adapter connects to the toyota adapter?

damn if i do this i gotta tear both of my cases apart and swap the gears into the crawl box. do work!:D

Thats right son...DO WORK!!

again....my 300 is bone stock.. I have an 5.0HO,C-6 and an on/off switch for a gas peddle:redneck:

"on/off" hahahha well that gives me confidence if/when i decide to swap one of the toy cases for a 300. thanks for the help!:beer:

just gotta figure out where im gonna get all this $ now.:D

OTT makes the only good toy to 300 adapter in my opinion. d300's are great, but the whole gear reduction before the case make's me a little more nervous, but then again it wouldn't be getting use like what I have in mind.

If you are going to have a reduction box in front of the 300 you WILL NEED at bare minimum a 32 spline output.

I started to type that advice earlier but toyota guys stack boxes all the time and you know they are stock with just a gearset.It's only "cheap" if you don't start modding the 300.

OTT makes the only good toy to 300 adapter in my opinion. d300's are great, but the whole gear reduction before the case make's me a little more nervous, but then again it wouldn't be getting use like what I have in mind.

you assume i wont use it to its potential?

If you are going to have a reduction box in front of the 300 you WILL NEED at bare minimum a 32 spline output.

how does the strength differ from the toy 21 spline most have with 2.28 and 4.7 duals? most guys aren't breaking their toy 21 spline outputs with this combo. though i'm not well versed in the D300 and its strength issues, its stock output is 23 spline, correct?

I started to type that advice earlier but toyota guys stack boxes all the time and you know they are stock with just a gearset.It's only "cheap" if you don't start modding the 300.
OK, I will retract my statement and will agree with you that it will last in a 4 cylinder equipped rig( I was thinking of a V-6/V-8 rig). The Toy guys make them last because of the low HP/no wheelspeed aspect. The times that the Toy guys break them is when they get bound up with all that gearing.

No wheeling 'expert', but to me an upgraded outputs just seems like good (and inexpensive) insurance.

IIRC under $150-$200 can net you a 32-spline output, put it in when you rebuild/refresh the D300.

My thought on this would also be that a broke D300 output isn't like a broke D20 output. D20 outputs can be swapped as a unit on the trail, so you can always just carry a spare. D300 output swaps require a case teardown.... not trail (or even camp) friendly. Upgraded [rear] output is piece of mind.

IMHO, but I have seen Mauler beat the F out of his rig, and obviously no issues.... so that says something.
________
Masturbation Shower

Last edited:
IMHO, but I have seen Mauler beat the F out of his rig, and obviously no issues.... so that says something.
Mauler doesnt brake outputs very easily because all his reduction happens after the T-case in the axles. But you are right a 32 spline upgrade is an expensive worthwile upgrade.

you assume i wont use it to its potential?

how does the strength differ from the toy 21 spline most have with 2.28 and 4.7 duals? most guys aren't breaking their toy 21 spline outputs with this combo. though i'm not well versed in the D300 and its strength issues, its stock output is 23 spline, correct?

The Dana 300 is 23 spline input, 26 spline outputs (stock).

I'll plan on upgrading my output after I break mine.:haha:
(FYI: AMC360,T176,2.6Klune,4.0D300)