• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 30 Gear swap

Ceg

I think a friend is going to give me the gears out of his parts XJ. They are 4.10 or 4.11 and mine are 3.55. We plan to just swap the rear Dana 35 complete. The question of the day is: Can we just swap the gears inside the front Dana 30s. His is a disco and mine isn't. Should we swap the spider gears with the Ring & Pinion? Can we just swap the ring, pinion, and 3rd member from one to the other without any problems?

I was told not to swap because it would be to much work and the gears wouldn't help me that much. These are not the gears I would of picked, but they are free and my boy wants to do the work.

What do you think?

You can't just swap, you will need to do the whole ring and pinion setup work since you'll be moving the gears to a different housing.

Personally, I would just swap the whole axle over. Just modify the disconnect thing to be always locked and leave it at that (put washers in it). Or you could get the seals from warn and convert the pass. side to a one piece shaft like the non-disconnect models. You still have to take the carrier out to do that last part, but you won't be running into gear setup issues.

I don't know anything about the disco axles, but that people have problems with them. Mainly the vacuum part, but I have heard of guys breaking the part that locks the shafts together.

Are they as strong as the Dana 30 without the disconnect?

Have you heard of any problems with just adding washers to keep the front locked together?

Where would I find this warn part to convert the passenger side to a one piece shaft and what does it do?

Where could I find out how to do the ring and pinion setup if I went with the swap?

Thanks for your time,
Ceg

To kill the disconnect we just tossed a waggy long side inner into the housing and called it good from what I can remember...

I've never heard of a waggy shaft being used...plus it would be 30 spline, D30is only 27. ANY solid longside D30 shaft (XJ,ZJ,YJ,TJ) will work. I believe Randy's has a seal kit to eliminate the vac crap.

XJonathan said:
I've never heard of a waggy shaft being used...plus it would be 30 spline, D30is only 27. ANY solid longside D30 shaft (XJ,ZJ,YJ,TJ) will work. I believe Randy's has a seal kit to eliminate the vac crap.

hmm. Well thats what we used in a YJ once--long ago :cheer:

D30's have a carrier break at 3.55 down, 3.73 up.

XJ hi-pinion gears and YJ hi-pinion gears will interchange, you just will probably have to buy a carrier. Actually, all the parts will interchange, and you can use a TJ style axle and a block off kit to eliminate the disco.

Many things you can do.

Well the parts XJ is in the driveway now. That makes 4 XJs out front. The neighbors must think we are starting a XJ dealership. Tomorrow the swap begins. We are swapping both front and rear axle assembles over complete and just going to lock up the Disco some how.

The axle assemble swap has already began. This disco thing is no biggy. I see how it works now. We have it locked in where it can't unlock. If there is a problem, then it sounds like I can just put in a seal and solid one axle in the place of the 2 piece disco it has now.

Test Dummy, Big Foot and Role over starting the project. Big Foot is the supervisor of the XJ shop.
2006-04-19-01.JPG

2006-04-19-02.JPG

The disco axle assemble is out.
2006-04-19-03.JPG

2006-04-19-04.JPG

The Disconnect vacuum crap
2006-04-19-05.JPG

Tiny welded the disco arm over so it can't move and unlock the axle.
2006-04-19-06.JPG

Hey, looks like FFA. FUTURE FOURWHEELERS of AMERICA! My daughter used to "help" me with my 4x4 but now she's 12 and hardly wants to wheel anymore.:crybaby: