• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

dana 44 chromoly axles

if you get chromoly axles and u joints you should be good.

But dont' expect it to hold up to ANY more than the 4cyl and 38s. You are at the LIMIT.

If you ever plan to go bigger, then you would be better off getting a 60 with the $ you'd spend on the shafts.

pretty sure most people will agree with the above statment.

thats what i was thinking, like to have a 60 but already have gears,locker and beadlocks. was wondering if rcvs would be worth the extra $ or chromolys be fine. ive read so much on people breaking chromolys i dont know what to do

I had a 99 wrangler with a 4.0 and a ford Dana 44 with a Detroit 5.13's and cromos. I ran anything from a 38 tsl to a 42 irok and it doesn't matter the shafts will not last and you will end up dragging it home broke as **** on the trailer. Calling anyone you can think of trying to find that 60 and then someone to pawn that axle on. Save the cash and buy a 60.

My zuki has a 1.3 with a cam ,header, and propane injection, and a Vulcan clutch, & 4.89 case, I run waggy 44,s front and rear with 5.38 spool rear,5.38 Detroit front on 38.5 TSLs ......

and I have got a PILE of broke front axles, STOCK and YUKON chromolys, broke 2 Detroit lockers, and broke one stock rear axle......

the front YUKON SUPER JOINTS are very tough, I have NEVER broke one, just pick them up off the ground after they fall out of the EXPLODED axles, get new caps & grease, and roll on.

bla bla bla ......Dana 44s are to damn weak,,, even with chromoly **** in em, if you are gonna wheel HARD and CRAZY :****:

;D

OH.... and if you decide to use 44s anyway...TRUSS THE HELL OUT OF THEM FROM ALL THE WAY FROM BRAKES TO BRAKES....

even if yer just gonna run leafs on em cause the housings are weak , I have bent 2 into a NON USEABLE STATE and one front houseing broke slap into :gay:

zukiscott said:
OH.... and if you decide to use 44s anyway...TRUSS THE HELL OUT OF THEM FROM ALL THE WAY FROM BRAKES TO BRAKES....

even if yer just gonna run leafs on em cause the housings are weak , I have bent 2 into a NON USEABLE STATE and one front houseing broke slap into :gay:

Sounds like Toyota axles Ha HA.

Anything less than a WON TON (unless it's a custom job, but that's another discussion) is gonna need some trussin' and some $$ shafts/joints.

But they sure do weigh a LOT less than a 60...

I wheeled easy on a Ford D44 with an Aussie and Yukon shafts/joints under a 79 F150 foolsize. Never broke it, but I never actually wheel'd it hard.

zukiscott said:

hey ya'll now you have to ask julio just how and why that front axle housing broke completely in half. he tried to pull some of that old school dukes of hazzard stuff and it just didn't work out. now julio you tell em just how that happened and don't leave nothing out. lol.

HAH...yea yea yea , I jumped it thru the air but I still don,t think that landing was hard enough that it shoulda broke into :****:

I should have had you trusssed it like you did my rear housing first I guess ;D.......

If I ever bend or break that rear housing I will need a ride in a helicopter :eek:

ive got a dana 44 with chromos and the big yukon joints. never broke one yet. ive had them in for about 4 years. sammi has 5.13s lockrite 2.3 mustang motor dana 300 with 4to1 twinstick 38.5 11 cut boggers. they have done me good. if you have the monies for rcvs definitley need to shop for a 60 instead

I've got a 44 with Yukon's all the way through and a spool with 37's and a V8. I don't do rock bouncing or anything but I've broken more gears and housings than axles. I broke one set when my steering stops weren't set right, that is it. I have broken a 44 housing in 2 and destroyed a 9" rear also. It really depends on how you drive. I haven't gone to a 60 yet for a couple reasons. One is money, and the other is having to redo my whole rig to fit a 60 and a 14 rear. Just not enough room without linking it and I don't want to do that.

I ran a 4cyl on a front 44 for a while in a YJ with 38.5's, COULD NOT keep the Chromo's alive. It was very common to break at least one shaft every ride, sometimes in first 10 minutes. Do yourself a favor and find a 60.
Never look back.