• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 help

97trxuszj

I have purchased a late 60's early 70's chevy dana 60 rear axle. I have yet to pick it up so I don't know if its full or semi float, what ratio, locker, axle spline count. But I am going to be redoing everything in this axle. My question is if someone can help me and give me a list of everything I will need to rebuild this axle to build it to my specs. 35 spline full floater, detroit, 5.13's, disc brakes. I know I will need 35 spline full float shafts, disc brake brackets with rotors and calipers, but my question is how do the axle bolt into the housing? If its full floater? Am I getting D60 spindles, and hubs with lug studs in them? Then slide the spindle on the axle, then bolt the caliper bracket on the hub then install the shaft and lockouts, and then the rotor slides right on to the hub or what? I am very confused at this point so any pics would be a very big help. I have tried google searches for D60 rebuild tech articles and no luck finding any with in depth disc brakes full floater. sorry for the long essay please help me!

if its semi float, junk it and go to a yard and yank a FF 60 from a early van or chevy pickup. there a dime a dozen. BOoom you have a full float 60 rear. gut it and get it cleaned up, replace all the bearings, go on ebay and order some brakets or full kit. Take a trip to Randys and order up your ring and pinion, master install kit and drop your diff off somewhere to get the gears correctly installed. get it home, polish that turd, slap on some paint and run it.

i have to agree if it's a semi float, don't bother. providing it's a full float the only thing being overlooked is that a d60 won't allow a 35 spline axle to pass due to the spindle ends.

ok so if it is a FF axle then were can I get 35 spline shafts for it? randys, I belive yukon makes the shafts, also do they sell diffrent spindles for the upgraded 35 spline shafts? or should I get mine bored out?

Why are you wanting a full float 60? My pro rock is a semi float with 35 spline and never worry about it...

the guy I'm buyign it from has it ts cheap, and you can change an axle without tearing off a wheel. you know of anywhere I can pick up some of the parts listed above crash?

97trxuszj said:
the guy I'm buyign it from has it ts cheap, and you can change an axle without tearing off a wheel. you know of anywhere I can pick up some of the parts listed above crash?

How about some specs on what kinda rig you are putting it under.

IMO the only place a full float is needed in under a competition rig(sp) or under a rig(sp) thats hauling a ton of weight.

Yes you can change an axle but are you planning on carrying spares? Just get some good shafts and be done with it...

Plus you will have ALOT less parts to worry about.

Here is an example. On the outer part of a full float you have the spindle that is welded to the housing. you have a caliper bracket thats either bolted to the back of the backing plate flange or a weld on style. Then you have a wheel hub(which has an inner and outer bearing along with adjusting nuts/lock) and a rotor (and you have different ways of doing this). then you have the flanged axle.

On a semi float you have just a weld on bracket and typically use dana 44 caliper and rotor (which you will need to have machined depending on the center of the axle) and then your axle shaft.

There are lot of different vendors to go thru and I would need to dig thru some stuff to point you in the right direction...

Last edited:
crash said:
How about some specs on what kinda rig you are putting it under.

IMO the only place a full float is needed in under a comp rig(sp) or under a rig(sp) thats hauling a ton of weight.

Yes you can change an axle but are you planning on carrying spares? Just get some good shafts and be done with it...

Plus you will have ALOT less parts to worry about.

Here is an example. On the outer part of a full float you have the spindle that is welded to the housing. you have a caliper bracket thats either bolted to the back of the backing plate flange or a weld on style. Then you have a wheel hub(which has an inner and outer bearing along with adjusting nuts/lock) and a rotor (and you have different ways of doing this). then you have the flanged axle.

On a semi float you have just a weld on bracket and typically use dana 44 caliper and rotor (which you will need to have machined depending on the center of the axle) and then your axle shaft.

There are lot of different vendors to go thru and I would need to dig thru some stuff to point you in the right direction...

Hey Crash,
You are slipping. What's a COMP?

this is going under my 97 jeep grand cherokee ZJ, I have waggy 44 front, xj d44 rear both stuffed with alloys and disc and 36" iroks. I wanted something to start to build soI figured get a rear D60 and start tearing down and re building, then eventually throw a pair of them under the ZJ or a CJ or TJ. I was told a FF axle would be the best bet and a semi was a waste of time. I figured, get the FF d60 strip it down get some chevy front rotors new lug studs new hub bearings and seals pound the studs out of the drums/hubs and reinstall hubs onto the rotors with new lug studs, get some alloy FF shafts and a 35 spline detroit get my spindle reamed out and slap it all together with bolt on disc brake brackets. am I missing somthing?

97trxuszj said:
this is going under my 97 jeep grand cherokee ZJ, I have waggy 44 front, xj d44 rear both stuffed with alloys and disc and 36" iroks. I wanted something to start to build soI figured get a rear D60 and start tearing down and re building, then eventually throw a pair of them under the ZJ or a CJ or TJ. I was told a FF axle would be the best bet and a semi was a waste of time. I figured, get the FF d60 strip it down get some chevy front rotors new lug studs new hub bearings and seals pound the studs out of the drums/hubs and reinstall hubs onto the rotors with new lug studs, get some alloy FF shafts and a 35 spline detroit get my spindle reamed out and slap it all together with bolt on disc brake brackets. am I missing somthing?

Thats WAY overkill for a light rig(sp) like that IMO(sp). Also you have to remember the FF60 is an 8 lug so you will need a custom hub assembly also. So basically you will need to strip the housing and throw everything away. YOu will also need to get the rotors machined to fit the hub(which would. Now depending on the hat size of the rotor you may/may not be able to use bolt on disk brake caliper brackets. Also you have any idea of the width of that 60?

yes 8 lug front and rear HP 60 out of a 78-79 ford f350 all built the same, I just want extra security under my jeep than I feel right now with the D44's, plus I want to run 39.5 swampers or 42" iroks and need these axle to handle that much tire. any other info you have that I can use to help me out? did u take a look at those hubs on pirate4x4? what did you think? I am trying to get this done cheap, strong, and right the first time, all the info you guys are proviing is great.

how about this
http://www.offroadoverstock.com/sto...eturn_product_id=&makeid=&modelid=&modelyear=

Last edited:
what differential is under the front now? Because you know an 8 lug(sp) dana 44 is no different than a 6 lug(sp) dana 44....

I am not going to install the rear d60 until I hsve the front 60 complete I will run my current setup until everything else is ready to bolt it. 8 lug D60's 5 lug D44's for the time being