• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 60 spindles Ford versus Chevy

kturner

It's not a good time til something gets broke!
I was wondering how many people are running Ford five bolt spindles on their rigs and how much abuse they take compared to the 6 bolt Chevy/Dodge spindles ?I bought new Reid knuckles for my Ford high pinion before realizing there is a difference between spindles or else I may have used Chevy knuckles and spindles. :dunno:

Chevy much stronger in my opinion... Keep in mind if u switch knuckles/spindles u have to go to chev stub shaft as well

My last rig had reid ford knuckles front and rear I only had problems once and the spindle bolts may have already been loose? I drilled and tapped the knuckles for 7/16 from 3/8 factory size and ran L9 bolts with the head ground down to fit inside the knuckle on the rear axle the front was stock. Imo they should be just as strong with the 7/16 with 5 bolts but with stock size they are prob stronger with 6 bolts? Bobby tanner also used to run Reid knuckles (ford 5 bolt drilled for 7/16) before going to the big rcv's! Never seen him break a spindle or the bolts?

I think I will drill them out a little bigger to 7/16 to maybe ease my mind. Thank you guys for the info.

kturner said:
I think I will drill them out a little bigger to 7/16 to maybe ease my mind. Thank you guys for the info.
The holes on the inside of the knuckle aren't very much bigger than the hole so the bolt head will be round make sure you drill and tap the knuckle strait! Screw the bolt in from the inside with red locktite on it so it doesn't try to back out down the road when you take it apart. The bottom bolt head will have to be shorter than all the rest or it will hit the inner c! Then don't worry about them other than making sure they stay tight! Red loctite everywhere!