• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dana 80 Front End Build

BHUDSON

I picked up a Dana 80 as a donor for a front end build. Any recommendations for inner c's and knuckles? I'd like to run 35 or 40 spline, not the gigantic 47 spline stuff

Thanks!

I'm running crane knuckles and they are stout. I like the keyed arms and knuckles. I've also got a pair of their C's on the shelf, just waiting on time, money and to make up my mind on what front axle to build.

I would put Rockwell knuckles on it and go 40 spline all the way. There is no sense in going to an 80 and running anything smaller than 40 spline stuff, You would end up with a strong ass gear, and axles that would be your fuse, only real sense in building an 80 is to be somewhat bullet proof.Best case scenario is 2" all the way, second best is 2" stubs and 40 spline inners, third is just straight up 40 spline, any one of these options would be plenty strong enough for 95% of us.

Elliott said:
I would put Rockwell knuckles on it and go 40 spline all the way. There is no sense in going to an 80 and running anything smaller than 40 spline stuff, You would end up with a strong ass gear, and axles that would be your fuse, only real sense in building an 80 is to be somewhat bullet proof.Best case scenario is 2" all the way, second best is 2" stubs and 40 spline inners, third is just straight up 40 spline, any one of these options would be plenty strong enough for 95% of us.

Personally I would not use rockwell knuckles if it was a front steering only due to reduced steering degrees. With rear steering it is a non issue. My current trail rig has a steering front rock only and I would never incorporate it into one of my builds. I am considering going front steer only on one of my projects but to keep rockwell size joints a fabricated knuckle from WOD or EOR are my options. The Crane stuff sounds like a good route in 40 spline for you though.

Rocksolid performance is selling a F450 inner c, knuckle and unit bearing assembly that will accept a rockwell sized ujoint and 2" shaft.

BHUDSON said:
Awesome. I'd like to hear more about that f450 set up

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.553952041341258.1073741832.188262791243520&type=1 I was quoted at $2600 for all the parts to do one axle, which I thought was pretty steep. I can do rockwell steering with Ouverson super-8 hubs for about a grand less. Rock solid said their assembly weighs 97lbs per corner.. The rockwell parts are 110, so I can't see spending the extra grand to save 13lbs per corner

My understanding is the ball joint and unit bearings would be the weak link from an abuse standpoint. Not weak by a stretch but not as strong as a solid or crane 60 setup and definitely not close to rockwell strength. The new ford 60 fronts are stout for sure but the only reason I would not run a stock one with new shafts is if I needed a very serious axle and a 80 center is the start of a serious one.

fl-krawler said:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.553952041341258.1073741832.188262791243520&type=1 I was quoted at $2600 for all the parts to do one axle, which I thought was pretty steep. I can do rockwell steering with Ouverson super-8 hubs for about a grand less. Rock solid said their assembly weighs 97lbs per corner.. The rockwell parts are 110, so I can't see spending the extra grand to save 13lbs per corner

does the rocksolid setup include brakes?

If I were building an 80 center, I'd defininetly go with some badass fabricated knuckles that could accept Rockwell parts.

Otherwised I'd just build a HP60 for a lot less $ and use off-the-shelf parts.

TBItoy said:
If I were building an 80 center, I'd defininetly go with some badass fabricated knuckles that could accept Rockwell parts.

Yep

TBItoy said:
does the rocksolid setup include brakes?

No brakes. Just inner c's, knuckles, ball joints, unit bearings and drive flanges. Rocksolid said that Dale Larsen was running that knuckle setup. I tried running the D60 sized RCV's and had issues stripping the splines out of the CV bell. I don't like breaking so that puts me in rockwell sized u-joint territory for reliability with 47" tires and lots of HP

fl-krawler said:
No brakes. Just inner c's, knuckles, ball joints, unit bearings and drive flanges. Rocksolid said that Dale Larsen was running that knuckle setup. I tried running the D60 sized RCV's and had issues stripping the splines out of the CV bell. I don't like breaking so that puts me in rockwell sized u-joint territory for reliability with 47" tires and lots of HP

dang that is pretty high $, of course it's probably all new stuff.

I have held a set of the EOR knuckles in my hand. They are flashemifyougotem. Deff beef. Call them.

What is Cory Miller running on the Bounty Hunter buggy. He runs a 80 front and 80 rear.

Practically everybody (offroad shops) EOR, WOD, Rock Solid, Ouverson all make a set of custom C's and knuckle design now to use the 2" 47 spline stuff. Basically it is more about how fast you need them and if you are loyal to any certain shop more than it is whose is better. The industry has developed so much in the past year that all kinds of options.

I am not sure what kind of time restrain you are on but would be willing to bet every imaginable C/Knuckle combo will be at the offroad expo in a few months (if you had plans of going) to put your hands on and see. Just my 2 cents. I have an 80 front and mine has the Ouverson C/knuckle setup.

Latest posts