• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel guru's, school us on buying a diesel

BustedPinion

-=BANNED=-
Me and misses are lookin at diesels. Looking at Ford F350 because of the huge crew cab, we are looking in the 91-98 range. I have no idea what diesels to watch out for and look for.
do i want turbo ? 6.9? 7.3? powerstroke? I have always heard the older chevy diesels are crap, i know i wont own a 6.2.

also, what should i look out for? since i have never owned one i dont know what sounds, tell tales to look for unless its pouring head gasket smoke im kind of a sitting duck. if anyone has one for sale let me know too

thanks

How much do you want to spend? The 7.3 turbo seems to be a great motor.

Last edited:
sadly were stuck under $3500 unless someone wants to trade for our class A motorhome which is valued / sellable for around $7k

either or, but must be a crewcab, above being a diesel. ya know the hwole 4 kids thing. (oh ya havent been around for lasy year, miss busted had a baby) so ya need more room lol.

For that price you may be able to find an 7.3 Powerstroke...Yeah if you want a crew cab in that era you're looking at Fords. This was the main reason I bought my crew cab Super duty.......

which motors are power-stroke? i have been told thats the best diesel for being reliable, less issues and gas mileage?

i know its probably a little out of budget,
But i saw a nice 99 F250 CC short bed 4x4 with canopy in puyallup for 10500
and yes. 7.3L diesel

Hey Rob- The powerstroke 7.3 is a great motor and will make far more power than the earlier IDI motors. If you're not lookin to go fast the pre powerstroke IDI has a good reputation for reliability, just doesn't go fast.

If you're going to go Ford I would stay away from 250's and their TTB- otherwise same as 350- The 6.9 and 7.3 both have a good rep for reliability..Stay up on the coolant monitoring to prevent cavitation. I'd look for a turbo model whatever model you go with, but a N/A will get you there.

The powerstroke was in 94.5-97 trucks- The early trucks (94.5-95) had some different parts then the 96/97 but nothing that is critical. Pre 94.5 is the 7.3 IDI. I think from about 92-94 there was an optional turbo. Not sure on the 7.3/6.9 break in model year. The 95-97 auto trucks have the E4OD trans..you'll want to keep track of the tranny temp if you get an auto....Regardless...Also get a pyrometer in it to watch EGT's..this goes for any diesel.

Hope that helps. Ask away with any more specific questions.

Hey Rob- The powerstroke 7.3 is a great motor and will make far more power than the earlier IDI motors. If you're not lookin to go fast the pre powerstroke IDI has a good reputation for reliability, just doesn't go fast.

If you're going to go Ford I would stay away from 250's and their TTB- otherwise same as 350- The 6.9 and 7.3 both have a good rep for reliability..Stay up on the coolant monitoring to prevent cavitation. I'd look for a turbo model whatever model you go with, but a N/A will get you there.

The powerstroke was in 94.5-97 trucks- The early trucks (94.5-95) had some different parts then the 96/97 but nothing that is critical. Pre 94.5 is the 7.3 IDI. I think from about 92-94 there was an optional turbo. Not sure on the 7.3/6.9 break in model year. The 95-97 auto trucks have the E4OD trans..you'll want to keep track of the tranny temp if you get an auto....Regardless...Also get a pyrometer in it to watch EGT's..this goes for any diesel.

Hope that helps. Ask away with any more specific questions.
ok i forget who you are but you obviously know me :redneck: so do i want turbo?

Not trying to Hi-Jack but rather add to your question as I'm in similar situation with needing a crewcab tow rig to accomodate all the kids.

Obviously the 94.5 & up Powerstroke is the engine to have but I've seen IDI 7.3's with the turbo lately fairly cheap. How much of a hit in power would one take getting a turboed 7.3 IDI vs. a 7.3 PSD?

You would be happier with a turbo yes.. I'm sure you can find a 95-97 crew cab F350, which would be your best option. But you might have to look for a while to find one decent enough for the price you are willing to pay.

My name's Mitch- We spent quite a bit of time on the phone talking RV fridges...About a year and a half ago now. :redneck: Thanks for that BTW...

I'd go turbo... And I'd try to go powerstroke. They are a bit more complicated than the IDI's because of the electronics, but are still relatively easy to work on for the average joe. I'm not sure how big of a hit you'd take on power with the PSD/IDI-T/IDI N/A, but the PSD has alot more power available with just some simple tuning electronically. You can only turn up the IDI so much before you risk burning it down...but it is all mechanical.

You should have no problem finding a 2wd in your price range...Might have to do some searching for a 4x...

oh ya no problem. what about a 6.9 diesel with Banks turbo? what is IDI?

and what about cummins?

Last edited:
IDI= Indirect Injected
PSD is DI...

Nothin wrong with the cummins either..

6.9 with the banks says someone spent too much $$ on Banks stuff....but look on the bright side...It wasn't you!...lol... I've seen a few 6.9's that have run real well...Sounds like it wouldn't be a bad setup but you don't wanna pay the $$ that banks wants...

oh ya no problem. what about a 6.9 diesel with Banks turbo? what is IDI?
I don't know much about the older trucks but I've talked to people who had them with aftermarket turbos and said they were OK. A stock Powerstroke doesn't have that much power either. IDI is Indirect Injection I believe.
and what about cummins?
Great if you can find a crew cab for $3500.

I've been looking real hard at powerstrokes in the earlier bodystyle (94.5-97) Is there a 98 model year for F350's? I see 97's and 99's but never any 98's; did the 99 come out early thus skipping the 98 model year (similar to wranglers skipping 96)

Every now and again I'll see a 93 or 94 with the IDI 7.3 w/turbo in decent shape for a good price.

I'd be replacing a GM 6.5 TD and won't bother if the IDI has the same lack-luster performance. My rigs been good and dependable, I really need a crew-cab but to spring for a different truck implies a performance boost or I'll tough it out with what I have.

Latest posts