• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel guru's, school us on buying a diesel

I've always heard 6.9's were solid, reliable motors. More powerfull than the GM stuff I have from what people have said but still no PSD or CTD.

WTF do you have to lose by taking it for a test drive. If the price is right and it has the power to move what you need maybe it's the truck for you.

its 1990 f350 4x full CC... is this a decent motor? appears to be lo miles too.

The 6.9 has a good rep....Banks makes quality hard parts.....It's the price most people can't stomach...

JimiJam- No 98 model for powerstrokes. 97 was the last of the Old body style trucks and Superduty's came out early 99.

The 6.9 has a good rep....Banks makes quality hard parts.....It's the price most people can't stomach...
I hear that, the PO of my truck replaced the 6.2NA with a 6.5 longblock and banks turbo...I think i would have bought a newer truck than pay retail for that

JimiJam- No 98 model for powerstrokes. 97 was the last of the Old body style trucks and Superduty's came out early 99.
That's what I thought, want'ed someone to confirm

Thanks, :awesomework:

so what should i look / listen for when looking at it? its supposedly had alot of steering etc replaced but I'm just concerned about the motor because i dont know them. the only thing i know about diesel sound is
they sound like 2 skeletons screwin on a tin roof :redneck:

No 98 model for powerstrokes. 97 was the last of the Old body style trucks and Superduty's came out early 99.

Actually they did make a few 98 PSD's in the cab/chassis form using the OBS single cab...they are very rare though...

If you want to learn about the 7.3 IDI:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
this site probably has the most info for the old Fords.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/

If you get an IDI, find one with a turbo on it already (aftermark or stock), it will save you money upfront.
The OD trans (E4OD) came out in 89, go for the 5sp if you can find one.
And if you are worried about the cost of parts, PS engines parts are expensive compared to IDIs.

As said above the IDI aren't a power house but get there.

Edit for above question.
Few thing to look for:
Look at the front end very close on older Ford, they have the front shackle with a track bar, not the best setup and go into death wobble easily. Bushing (including track bar), kingpins, and wheelbearings should be checked well.
The steering columns also loosen up requiring it to be pulled apart to fix, similar to the Chevys. This will affect the ignition switch.
Headlight switches burn up, bad internal fuses and full power thru them, a relay kit fixes the problem. Check the back and make sure it hasn't melted.

Last edited:
you have to check out this web site powertrokehelp.com http://powerstrokehelp.com/ its all videos so you really dont have to read much this guy has been doing fords for years like 30 or something close to that there is info on everything you need to know from what to look for on buying a used one to a new one info on the 7.3 the 6.0 the 6.4 check it out

You ever try to fit a kid in the back seat of one of those? I have :fawkdancesmiley:

ehh...the kid can be cramped. Id rather have that than catistrophic f*e*rd engine failure :) 12valves are a hobby. If your on a budget, these are by far the longest lasting motor and you can find for pretty cheap now-a-days. A newer common rail is 2 times better for towing. My second choice would be a Dmax. better tranny. But i have to have over 500hp, and those baby little D-max rods will shoot out the block with that!

ehh...the kid can be cramped. Id rather have that than catistrophic f*e*rd engine failure :) 12valves are a hobby. If your on a budget, these are by far the longest lasting motor and you can find for pretty cheap now-a-days. A newer common rail is 2 times better for towing. My second choice would be a Dmax. better tranny. But i have to have over 500hp, and those baby little D-max rods will shoot out the block with that!

dmax rods are good into the 700's.. And it isn't cramped with a car seat in the back, It's not possible. I'll show you when you come back over Tuesday to pick up your truck :flipoff:. And with proper tuning, the 6.0 can run over 500 with just tunes, studs and EGR delete, Stock tranny. But an Edge will kill a 6oh tranny with 400 or less..

dmax rods are good into the 700's.. And it isn't cramped with a car seat in the back, It's not possible. I'll show you when you come back over Tuesday to pick up your truck :flipoff:. And with proper tuning, the 6.0 can run over 500 with just tunes, studs and EGR delete, Stock tranny. But an Edge will kill a 6oh tranny with 400 or less..

nice magazine quotes. :awesomework:

....hahahaha. SON, DMAX cant handle 700 stock, u outta know that!
and how much HP on the powerjokes???? :masturbanana[1]: my buddys melted down, he dynoed at the P-shop 391 and it lasted about 2 weeks, and the converter was slipping all the while. you should have a chat with ramos about how many powerjoke meltdowns come through the shop :awesomework:

this is what i posted in another thread..

leave your powerstroke stock. Chip/program it and you take big risk blowing head gaskets or even worse, melting the whole motor down. watch your water temp gauge. By the time you start to see rising temps, its to late. With these motors damage is usually done to the internals before the headgasket(s) blow....and it wipes out everything in a damaging dominoe effect. You will have to replace the entire motor. Headstuds will help some...but not the bottom-end. EGR? big failure ford. a very mild programmer might be alright but 400hp + without major and costly engine mods and yer truck gunna go boom...my .02

Last edited:
with proper tuning, the 6.0 can run over 500 with just tunes, studs and EGR delete, ..

ok i retract my statement. but ill ask you this, if say the truck dyno'd 500.1 hp, would you be confident towing a heavy trailer across the pass? all tuned up pedal to the metal? how bout quarter mile? how many of these could you run before coolant and oil as sprayed all over the track. um...id say you'd be lucky to make 3 passes B4 shes dead and would be calling me to tow your dead ford to the scrap yard with my 600hp cummins:fawkdancesmiley:...no 650hp cummins. :D

ok i retract my statement. but ill ask you this, if say the truck dyno'd 500.1 hp, would you be confident towing a heavy trailer across the pass? all tuned up pedal to the metal? how bout quarter mile? how many of these could you run before coolant and oil as sprayed all over the track. um...id say you'd be lucky to make 3 passes B4 shes dead and would be calling me to tow your dead ford to the scrap yard with my 600hp cummins:fawkdancesmiley:...no 650hp cummins. :D

I'll pay for your dyno run if you make 650 when we put it on the road Tuesday. And i'd love to see you tow using all those 650 horse with the large single and large injectors.. Lenny's truck may have made over 900 rwhp.. But he tows in the mid 400's :kissmyass:. Plenty of people can blow up a powerstoke if you don't know what you're doing. Same can be said with a cummins though.