• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel vs Gas

I've owned/towed with a '96 V10 Dodge 3500 and a '00 Cummins Dodge 3500...

They both towed very well, but the gasser needed way more attention to the go pedal. I had to get into it a lot more, and get the rpms way up anytime I wanted to do anything. The diesel tows with far less effort. Unless I'm in a mood to pass people while towing just because I can :), I never need to press the pedal more than half way, and that's being generous. Also, getting 8-10mpg for normal driving was killing me. I'll take my 17-18 in the diesel so i don't have to go to the gas station as often (one of my least favorite things to do)...

Towing a loaded car trailer with a half ton is not fun. Sure it goes ok, but stopping sucks.

I was able to drive as fast as I comfortably wanted using a 5.8 Ford to tow to Moab, but at 7mpg, it sucked.

My 360 Dodge (pre-Magnum) couldn't pass wind going up Snoqualmie.

I'll see how things are with a pre-Powerstroke Diesel very soon, but I have driven the truck I'm buing with a 20ft enclosed trailer, and got better mileage, than my 1990 Dodge did unloaded.

Little Red Zuk said:
Towing a loaded car trailer with a half ton is not fun. Sure it goes ok, but stopping sucks.
Ah yes, and then there's the rest of the truck :; Brakes are lacking (read "dangerous"), rear suspension too soft, tranny and axle won't take the load for very long, non load rated tires too squishy, etc.

CrustyJeep said:
Ah yes, and then there's the rest of the truck :; Brakes are lacking (read "dangerous"), rear suspension too soft, tranny and axle won't take the load for very long, non load rated tires too squishy, etc.

However, there is a part of me that likes seeing overloaded half tons.. Job security ya know.:redneck:

I get 19-20mpg in my '06 CTD empty equipped with the lead foot option, 17 loaded to ~13,000 combined on flat highway, and about 15-16 on a pass. Never going gas again, I love this truck. Now I just gotta find a diesel motor for the wheeler and get rid of the 4.3 I was gonna put in it :flipoff:

As a more constructive post... at about 16k GCVW, I'd love to see a 454 pull my car hauler like my Cummins does... and my truck is 14 years old!

KarlVP said:
This truck will tow just fine. Why get a Diesel? I really don't see the need. Pulling power, my ass. If you take a stock gas truck and race it against a stock diesel truck of the same payload capacity, the gasser will spank the oil burner. Load them down and you see the same performance.

Because, nothing sounds better then turbo whine and a straight pipe diesel .

I also think that also depends on what diesel you are tring to compare to gas.

I found this article and it explains a lot.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0210_diesel_vs_gas/

Maybe part of the reason I am so hesitant towards a diesel truck, is because I am going to use it as a daily driver. When I am using the truck for my around town errand running, I wan't get up and go performance. I understand that a diesel has this after some mods, but as previously stated, I don't want to modify the truck, I just want to drive it.

I didn't intend for this thread to become a flame war. Educate here folks, take the flame war to the chatterbox.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/tech/163_0210_diesel_vs_gas/

LOL, so what was MotorTrend's top pick for a 4x4? You gonna buy one of those, too, and enjoy awesome offroad performance? :clappy:

Seriously, I think that article pretty much reiterates what has already been said here. Cold starting, diesel availablity, noise/vibration, and exhaust smell are pretty much non-issues to me. Which just about wipes out any favorability towards the gasoline engine.

I guess you need to decide WHY you would be buying a tow rig. For hauling/towing performance or use as a DD/grocery getter? There are going to be compromises either way. Personally, I'd rather use a tow rig to get groceries than make do with a grocery getter for towing/hauling.

KarlVP said:
Okay, now buy a Ram with the 4.7L and get 12 to 15MPG TOWING.

This truck will tow just fine. Why get a Diesel? I really don't see the need. Pulling power, my ass. If you take a stock gas truck and race it against a stock diesel truck of the same payload capacity, the gasser will spank the oil burner. Load them down and you see the same performance.

Sure, you can load either truck down with aftermarket goodies, but I don't want to do that.

I want to buy a reliable truck for daily driving and towing duties. I don't want to spend my time fiddling with my tow rig. So far, given the pros and cons, it is looking like gas is the way to go.
If you didn't want a flame war, perhaps you should have put some more thought into some of your posts...

A 4.7L V8 getting 12mpg towing... towing what? A jetski? Certainly not when towing a trailer with a 4x4 on it! ESPECIALLY not towing an 10k-pound loaded trailer... and my 14 year old Dodge does it without a lockup torque converter!

Load them down and you see the same performance? No way in hell! As pointed out already, gas motors make beans at low rpm compared to diesels... loaded down, a stock diesel pickup will out pull a stock gas pickup any day of the week.

Now, if you had mentioned you were going to use it as your DD at the BEGINNING of the thread... then perhaps more people would have said gas was the way to go for you. When you just say gas is better than diesel... yeah, prepare for flamage from folks. :)

Last edited:
Boomer said:
Personally, I'd rather use a tow rig to get groceries than make do with a grocery getter for towing/hauling.
Hehe... hell yeah. I don't think the 1.0L 3-cylinder in my Metro would like towing my gooseneck around. :redneck:

Boomer said:
I guess you need to decide WHY you would be buying a tow rig. For hauling/towing performance or use as a DD/grocery getter? There are going to be compromises either way. Personally, I'd rather use a tow rig to get groceries than make do with a grocery getter for towing/hauling.

You make some excellent points. I never thought of it that way.

In reality Karl isn't that far off. HP is HP. Doesn't matter what fuel you burn. And I agree that if your not going to mod a diesel then don't buy one.
Now the benefits if you were going to buy a diesel would be, first the diesel generally makes it's power at a lower RPM.
This is the big reason for the fuel savings. Second if you pull heavy with a gasser it will be worn out in about 80K or so. At 80K a diesel is just getting broke in. There's also resale value but your paying more up front too so it's probably about a bust.
Most people don't really weigh the pro's and con's. Their still stuck on
"Dude it's a Cummins:super: ".

Using a diesel for a daily driver (on a regular basis) is the height of silliness IMO, especially with today's fuel prices.

Oh hell, using ANY full size truck as a daily driver is silly. The fuel mileage is ridiculous. Get a little car for a daily driver, and get a truck that does what you need. A few years ago, my 1/2 ton gasser was PLENTY for what I used it for. Not anymore. I wouldn't buy another gasser truck. I sure as hell wouldn't daily drive it, diesel OR gas.

So we have four vehicles total... So what :flipoff:

KarlVP said:
Maybe part of the reason I am so hesitant towards a diesel truck, is because I am going to use it as a daily driver. When I am using the truck for my around town errand running, I wan't get up and go performance. I understand that a diesel has this after some mods, but as previously stated, I don't want to modify the truck, I just want to drive it.

I expected that with mine, suprisingly it's the exact opposite. I have yet to have any issue wtih lack of power or acceleration. On the other hand, finding a parking spot that's big enough... :redneck:

Latest posts