• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Diesel vs Gas

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
What's the big difference?

In stock trucks, I've seen some gassers spank diesel trucks. Just simply out pull them. I've seen a 454 "get up and go" with a trailer behind it.

From What I have seen, a gasser has get up and go, and acceleration, and a diesel has "pulling power" up hills and such. Just steady power.

What is really better? Stock truck wise?

Diesels are more efficient. Sure a 454 can get up and go, but you'll be using tons of fuel compared to a diesel. Granted diesel fuel is more costly to begin with, you get more 'bang for your buck' with power, torque, pulling power...

who here can keep a rig stock? When you can add over 100 rwhp to a diesel by just plugging in a box. It's hard to keep it stock. Can't do that with a gasser. All of the other reasons have been stated plenty of times.

Let me Quote Porter and MJK from a thread in the 4x4 Talk section.

Porter with a Diesel

PORTER said:
Towing 6k only about 13, freeway unloaded almost 19. Driving back and forth to work about 16(sometimes 15 depending on how much stop and go). These numbers were hand calculated, on my last fillups. I have been told things will get better at about 15k and on.

MJK’s reply about his Gas

MJK said:
That's pretty good......I'm getting 11 empty on my 01 Ram 5.9 GAS. Towing, I just keep my credit card out so I don't have to get it out of my wallet:mad:

Now imagine the difference in gas bills for a trip down to the Rubicon like the one you just got back from and you see why I want a Diesel.

Okay, now buy a Ram with the 4.7L and get 12 to 15MPG TOWING.

This truck will tow just fine. Why get a Diesel? I really don't see the need. Pulling power, my ass. If you take a stock gas truck and race it against a stock diesel truck of the same payload capacity, the gasser will spank the oil burner. Load them down and you see the same performance.

Sure, you can load either truck down with aftermarket goodies, but I don't want to do that.

I want to buy a reliable truck for daily driving and towing duties. I don't want to spend my time fiddling with my tow rig. So far, given the pros and cons, it is looking like gas is the way to go.

KarlVP said:
I wouldn't expect a 4.7 gasser to pull very hard....

Where'd you get those numbers?

Oh and something else, I know from experience that when you tow 6K + pounds with a gasser you are basically beating the ever living **** out of it. It won't last very long.

KarlVP said:

This truck will tow just fine. Why get a Diesel? I really don't see the need. Pulling power, my ass. If you take a stock gas truck and race it against a stock diesel truck of the same payload capacity, the gasser will spank the oil burner. Load them down and you see the same performance.

Sure, you can load either truck down with aftermarket goodies, but I don't want to do that.

I want to buy a reliable truck for daily driving and towing duties. I don't want to spend my time fiddling with my tow rig. So far, given the pros and cons, it is looking like gas is the way to go.

A Ram with a 4.7L gasser is not likely to get 12-15mpg towing anything more substantial than a lightweight utility trailer with a lawn mower on it. Load that truck up with a weekend's worth of supplies, camping equipment, and hitch up your Jeep and it's going to both be a real dog and suck gas like crazy.

You really don't believe that everything else being equal, A Ram with a 4.7 pulling a 7k trailer is going to beat a Ram with a Cummins pulling the same weight up Snoqualamie Pass, do you? I could really care less what empty trucks will do on a flat drag strip.

Diesels make much torque way down low in the RPM. range. More usuable power. Look at where that 4.7 produces it's peak power. 345hp at 5400rpm and 375 ft pds of torque at 4200rpm. You don't really think you are going to see 12-15mpg at those levels, do you? Meanwhile, the Cummins ISB is making 325hp at 2900rpm and more importantly (and useful), 610ft pds of torque at a mere 1600rpms. That's more pulling power, whether your ass likes it or not.

A medium duty diesel like the Cummins will also easily outlast a gasser by 2:1. The added benefit of being able to open up the diesel for even more power, usable power, is just the icing on the cake.

I just went from a 1994 GMC K2500 Suburban with a stock 235hp TBI 454, 4.10 gears, and 265/75R16 tires to a stock 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 215hp Cummins, 4.10 gears, and 315/75R16 tires and the difference is noticeable. The 454 pulled decent enough, but the Cummins is noticeably stronger and has even greater potential when modified. The Ram gets nearly twice the fuel economy that the Suburban did as well.

In the end, it's really no skin off of anyone's nose but your own. Just as some people are content with the lower highway perfomance level of the 2.5 vs 4.0 in their Jeeps, some are content similarly lower performace of gas powered trucks vs diesel ones. There is a reason that heavy trucks, equipment, locomotives, etc use diesel engines. Diesel has a higher BTU content than gasoline.

CrustyJeep said:
Oh and something else, I know from experience that when you tow 6K + pounds with a gasser you are basically beating the ever living **** out of it. It won't last very long.

Well of course :redneck:

CrustyJeep said:

For small blocks I agree. The big blocks and V10s can handle that kind of weight fairly well, though.

KarlVP said:

I guess ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:

From owning both I would never go back to gas. My dodge puls HARDER than my mildly built 7.4 and gets 2 times the gas milage and the rig isn't even bombed yet....

KarlVP said:

I don't know about 12-15 MPG, but I will throw in that you do have to look at the cost/benefit of a diesel. There's no reason a truck with a gas engine, even a smaller one wont do the job, sure you might not be doing 75 MPH up the pass but you will get there eventually. And yes, you will be spending more on gas. However you will also be saving thousands on the purchase price of the vehicle, meaning it could take years for a diesel to pay for itself.

That being said, if you got a gas I wouldn't get a 4.7L, I would want something with more displacement, probably either the 360 Dodge or the 350 Chevy. Actually if your series, why not talk to TomTom, he used to tow with that Chevy, he could give you a good idea as to what it was like.

Though what I really want is a 2001+ Chevy 2500 regular cab long bed with the Diesel. Now all I need to do is win the Lotto so I can afford one.

Last edited:
Jobless said:
I guess ignorance is bliss :rolleyes:
Yea what he said.

Why did you even ask about diesel vs gas if you don't even like Diesels? It's obvious you don't want one.

And have you even TOWED with a small block Dodge?