• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Reiter Motorized Trails Field Day

Screw that noise.....I want Reiter open (to any extent) now!

The DNR was asked a question: Where would ORV users park......namely trailed rigs.

Their answer (in short): We can not grantee parking available as it used to be, under the powerlines. We must talk to the powerline company that has this easement. Parking would have to be here (referring to the small space off the side of the road).

Group reaction: WHAAAA!!! (cry) only 8 rigs!....whaaaa! (cry)

We move on to more important issues to discuss.

Through these eyes, that is how I saw it.

There will be parking issues, I agree.

This could be a pass or fail situation presented by the DNR, I agree.

What areas that could open sooner than later will be small and will be overused, I agree.

If we take our time the end result could be better for long term use, I agree.

I say let it ride.....I'm all in, because I have nothing to lose. Do you?

Thanks to those that went to the walk around. I agree the park should be opened when the entire system is ready. The non informed users will not no the rules and could affect the big picture. Glad to hear that the DNR is hearing our request for more extreme types of trails. That what makes Reiter so cool.

Shouldent we be able to park tow rigs at lower lot and cross reiter road and use that trail to the upper lot thru the gravel hill don't think thair is any creeks the one before the hill was covered in large rock so it should be a legal creek crossing
:awesomework:

Glad you guys where able to make it to this event.

If nothing else hopefully the next work party will be able to get some more done and a better idea on what needs to be done to get some areas further along.

Shouldent we be able to park tow rigs at lower lot and cross reiter road and use that trail to the upper lot thru the gravel hill don't think thair is any creeks the one before the hill was covered in large rock so it should be a legal creek crossing
:awesomework:
NO.

Effusively there is NO access from the old, lower parking lot to any of the "new" trail locations. With the exception of traveling on Reiter Road (illegal in non-street legal vehicles).

Effectively consider ALL passages and areas under the powelines as not available at this time for ANY use until BPA gives their blessing. Which may or may not come (they don't have anything to gain by giving official "permission" to use their land for ORV use, and a fair amount to loose in potential damage to their equipment, but until they are officially asked but the DNR, and BPA give official OK, those trails are lost). The possible exception being a probably corridor directly underneath, perpendicular to the powerlines to reach the rock-garden. Trails on BPA land, that parallel the powerlines are not a viable option, at this time. And yes, there are a fair amount of stream crossing in the lower area.

For the time being, any trail that crosses a stream of ANY sort is shelved to develop less-impacting (read less $$) trails with no water crossings. If you sit and think about it, it is a logical move. However if DOES fragment the immediately available area.

Intersesting....

As much as I would like to see a small area opened up for us to use as mentioned I think its a BAD idea unless certain things can be in place and sounds like those things won't. Hasn't the DNR repeaditly said all or none when it comes to access of an area? Certain people are being excluded to access--another about face..

It does boggle my mind though when you hear the head honcho with the DNR talk about how they understand our needs and want to meet them.

Then when you hear things that were mentioned by the DNR this weekend and ya hear alot of contradictio.

I see an uphill battle due to the politics of this than anything..,

Something to keep in mind that I couple of use muttered to each other as we walked.

It will be harder to close if they open ANYTHING back up vs. just keeping it closed indefinitely.

This is why I am "pro" open up what you can as soon as possible, all-be-it limited. Truth be told, the LACK of parking at the new "trail entrance" to get to the Rock Garden will keep the usage down, limiting it (for the time being) to street legal rigs or folks willing to take the risk of illegal parking or road travel. Sucks, but might be the silver lining till more can be opened and things can be connected.

I would hope also that some new trails will be opened/cut further up so that the Rock Garden isn't the *only* 4x4 trail opened up first.... this would make the RG a "stop" rather than the whole trip. The proposed upper site they showed us for making the new staging and eventual camping area IMO is a good location. Tree'd right now, but flat and open and close to Reiter Road (easy access), and right at the heart/end of "Zone 1". Good place to build off and not too far from an easy sorce of "free" rock/fill to gravel it out with.... now they just need to do it.

Was there any talk about when the next work party was? and what was going to be required for tools? or vehicals?

It will be harder to close if they open ANYTHING back up vs. just keeping it closed indefinitely.

This I don't agree with for a number of reasons.

The first being the pressure being put onto the DNR by the towns/citys down the sky valley.

The second the focus that has been put onto the DNR to pull something off. The DNR has invested alot of $$ into this even though there is no FOR SURE PLAN yet but for them to keep it closed forever is a HUGE slap in the face and one I don't think the DNR wants.

You can be as skeptable as much as you want--something is going to happen but the political BS is going to make it a slow uphill battle.

So can I go to reiter and play in the rock garden if I drive in, not tow?

can I irde my motorcycle in to the rock garden too?

This I don't agree with for a number of reasons.

The first being the pressure being put onto the DNR by the towns/citys down the sky valley.

The second the focus that has been put onto the DNR to pull something off. The DNR has invested alot of $$ into this even though there is no FOR SURE PLAN yet but for them to keep it closed forever is a HUGE slap in the face and one I don't think the DNR wants.

You can be as skeptable as much as you want--something is going to happen but the political BS is going to make it a slow uphill battle.

I think the business's in the valley would scream for murder if they don't open something back up for the summer, even though there's no real snow it is ski season right now, when spring really hits they're gonna be hurtin.

I think the business's in the valley would scream for murder if they don't open something back up for the summer, even though there's no real snow it is ski season right now, when spring really hits they're gonna be hurtin.

The proposed area is what--15 acres at the most. How much is that really going to help the bussiness's? If they want to do that then the lower area's need to be opened that will give a little of something for everybody. And how is it going to help when there is no place to unload your bikes and quads and our NON street legal wheelers?

I see zero gain on the $$ side but I see a far worse mess being created for those of us who have spent countless hours out there fixing it.

Your going to have to wait and find out like the rest of us brad.

Thats what I was after. I didnt know if they had said when or not, sounds like they have been kinda vague so far.

I hope it doesnt play out like this, (non internet user) "hey I heard reiters open, lets go trash it"

Seems bad spreads faster than good, I hope it works out for the better.

The proposed area is what--15 acres at the most. How much is that really going to help the bussiness's? If they want to do that then the lower area's need to be opened that will give a little of something for everybody. And how is it going to help when there is no place to unload your bikes and quads and our NON street legal wheelers?

I see zero gain on the $$ side but I see a far worse mess being created for those of us who have spent countless hours out there fixing it.

This what I'm trying to say. One would think the local business's that benefit from ORV use would pressure the DNR to open more area sooner....I don't think this token area is gonna do much good with the afformentioned parking issues and the volume of users that will try to go wheel if they hear anything is open at all, it's asking for problems.

I know what you mean about the effort put in by volunteers...the signage put up at Walker lasted all of a week or two before they were all stolen:mad:
and with the increased use with Reiter being closed the maintenence side of things has grown exponentially.....on the plus side alot more folks are showing up at work parties ang getting things done.

Thats what I was after. I didnt know if they had said when or not, sounds like they have been kinda vague so far.

I hope it doesnt play out like this, (non internet user) "hey I heard reiters open, lets go trash it"
Seems bad spreads faster than good, I hope it works out for the better.

I could see opening up a small portion this summer putting us back at square one after the summer months and the rain starts falling i sure hope not. im glad to see so many people with the time and dedication to work to get reiter back open thanks guys!