• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Reiter Motorized Trails Field Day

x2 Scott. I believe you're right. We're not doomed. One of the best things that could have happened last weekend was the majority of people there being techinical 4x4 users, its helping carve the future for the motorized area.
Stan said (basically) "We're here to build what you guys want. There is no point in putting in paved, rocked roads if the users don't want that. As long as it meets the environmental requirements, you should be good"

x2 Scott. I believe you're right. We're not doomed. One of the best things that could have happened last weekend was the majority of people there being techinical 4x4 users, its helping carve the future for the motorized area.
Stan said (basically) "We're here to build what you guys want. There is no point in putting in paved, rocked roads if the users don't want that. As long as it meets the environmental requirements, you should be good"

And again as I have stated and tried to push the fact that user/volunteer input is going to "hopefully" give us what we want. We CANNOT let them do it all for us..

*positive outlook* Open Reiter
Is it just me, or am I seeing a tiny shimmer of light at the end of this dark tunnel?
- Who Gains The Most: ORV enthusiasts, families, Local commerce, Stores, restaurants, gas stations, ORV tag revenues, the entire Sky valley area

*cynical side of me* Closed forever
I still firmly believe that this is a big show. And the DNR plans to keep the entire area closed for good. That way they get to keep a lot of the $$$ to cover their salaries, ect.. Gets the responsibility and liability off and away from them. It will be "closed" and not well patrolled. People will still go in and wheel / ride but at their own risk.
- Who Gains The Most: DNR, tree hugging pussies, timber industries,

If you can add to this list on either side of theses 2 options. Please do. I think it would be interesting to see and maybe show positives and negatives for both sides.:cool:

Last edited:
One more point of interest We have asked DNR to go off to research, plan, and permit an ORV area, we need to be willing and able to build what we have asked for when the time comes. If the ORV users don't step up at the right time when the building starts the users who are there will build what there rigs can do not necessarily what we have asked DNR for and what DNR appoved...

When the time comes please have your time, money, resources, equipment or what ever else may be needed ready because I feel we have an opportunity here to build the first of it's kind in the nation if we are ready and willing as an ORV community to step up to the challenge.

This is the first time in a very long time the ORV community is seeing a new official area become available! Lets not blow the opportunity we are being given maybe more area's will become available and maybe even modeled with-in this state and others.

One more point of interest We have asked DNR to go off to research, plan, and permit an ORV area, we need to be willing and able to build what we have asked for when the time comes. If the ORV users don't step up at the right time when the building starts the users who are there will build what there rigs can do not necessarily what we have asked DNR for and what DNR appoved...

When the time comes please have your time, money, resources, equipment or what ever else may be needed ready because I feel we have an opportunity here to build the first of it's kind in the nation if we are ready and willing as an ORV community to step up to the challenge.

This is the first time in a very long time the ORV community is seeing a new official area become available! Lets not blow the opportunity we are being given maybe more area's will become available and maybe even modeled with-in this state and others.

Very good points. My only worry is that you are talking big equipment and very big rocks to make the area a chalenge for some. I hope that there are some really good gate keepers that are put in to help keep the trash and dumped cars out.

I really hope its going to be a great place to wheel in the future. But any place to wheel is better then no place to wheel.

*cynical side of me* Closed forever
I still firmly believe that this is a big show. And the DNR plans to keep the entire area closed for good. That way they get to keep a lot of the $$$ to cover their salaries, ect.. Gets the responsibility and liability off and away from them. It will be "closed" and not well patrolled. People will still go in and wheel / ride but at their own risk.
- Who Gains The Most: DNR, tree hugging pussies, timber industries,

If you can add to this list on either side of theses 2 options. Please do. I think it would be interesting to see and maybe show positives and negatives for both sides.:cool:

Over the last couple weeks I have learned a very important fact I think is not known with-in the ORV community: ORV usage on trust lands provides an annual flow of cash into the trusts. DNR pays an annual fee for the miles of ORV trails and pays for tree damage caused by ORV users! Most of these miles are funded by state and Federal grants. This shows a positive cash flow into the trusts and looks good for DNR... what was looking bad for DNR at Reiter, we were not paying for the trail miles and we here killing trees which were also not being purchased with ORV funds so the trust was losing money in tree damage. If the DNR can put an approved and state grant funded ORV area at Reiter then the trust starts to see a positive cash flow into the trust fund and the tree loss is known and planned for...

Now DNR has other cost which may or may not be covered under the grants but with documented volunteer hours more grants become available to the ORV area to help off set the cost of operating an ORV area But this assumes DNR has built an appropriate ORV area that is eligible for these grants from state and Federal sources.

Over the last couple weeks I have learned a very important fact I think is not known with-in the ORV community: ORV usage on trust lands provides an annual flow of cash into the trusts. DNR pays an annual fee for the miles of ORV trails and pays for tree damage caused by ORV users! Most of these miles are funded by state and Federal grants. This shows a positive cash flow into the trusts and looks good for DNR... what was looking bad for DNR at Reiter, we were not paying for the trail miles and we here killing trees which were also not being purchased with ORV funds so the trust was losing money in tree damage. If the DNR can put an approved and state grant funded ORV area at Reiter then the trust starts to see a positive cash flow into the trust fund and the tree loss is known and planned for...

Now DNR has other cost which may or may not be covered under the grants but with documented volunteer hours more grants become available to the ORV area to help off set the cost of operating an ORV area But this assumes DNR has built an appropriate ORV area that is eligible for these grants from state and Federal sources.

Makes sence..Thanks for the info:awesomework:

I wonder why this info was not readily known--thanks for the info scott...

Just curious how many buggy,truggy, (whatever you want to call rigs capable of running the Rock Garden fairly well) rigs are there in the State? I keep hearing people talk about DNR will have to build for them since THEY are the majority. How many have ORV tabs and not a plate from some wrecked rig or what their rig used to be? Just throwing around an idea that for those who have ORV tabs the State should have a way to count your rig as an "Off Road" vehicle. Every ATV/UTV pretty much has to have an ORV tag and *most* dirtbikes do as well.

Would most people be happy or at least content *IF* the Rock Garden was the only "extreme" area for 4x4's for say the next 2-5 years? From what it sounded like to me, the area 7 (which was really the only other area they talked about really challenging trails) wouldn't happen until much later. They will have to make other ATV, Bike, mild 4x4 trails before that area would be built IMO.

And please don't **** on me for asking these questions.....cause they are only questions and would like to know your guys's point of view on them.

Just curious how many buggy,truggy, (whatever you want to call rigs capable of running the Rock Garden fairly well) rigs are there in the State? I keep hearing people talk about DNR will have to build for them since THEY are the majority. How many have ORV tabs and not a plate from some wrecked rig or what their rig used to be? Just throwing around an idea that for those who have ORV tabs the State should have a way to count your rig as an "Off Road" vehicle. Every ATV/UTV pretty much has to have an ORV tag and *most* dirtbikes do as well.

Would most people be happy or at least content *IF* the Rock Garden was the only "extreme" area for 4x4's for say the next 2-5 years? From what it sounded like to me, the area 7 (which was really the only other area they talked about really challenging trails) wouldn't happen until much later. They will have to make other ATV, Bike, mild 4x4 trails before that area would be built IMO.

And please don't **** on me for asking these questions.....cause they are only questions and would like to know your guys's point of view on them.

Quite a few within 2 hours drive of reiter.

Quite a few within 2 hours drive of reiter.

Yeah, I don't doubt it as I have also seen a bunch. But do you think we have 100 or 200 out there? I know just on NWW it seems like there are quite a few but it's a hard number to capture when some rigs are street plated.

Yeah, I don't doubt it as I have also seen a bunch. But do you think we have 100 or 200 out there? I know just on NWW it seems like there are quite a few but it's a hard number to capture when some rigs are street plated.

I would say close to 100 neil easily.

As most of you prolly know, Oregon requires everyone on a trail to have ORV tabs even streetable rigs. It seems like maybe that is part of how their state can show how many people are using their trails and help to fund it by showing it's a BIG number.

The system does not have knowledge of my buggy.

I will guess there are 150 buggy/truggy owners that frequent Reiter......remember, Reiter was so high up on the list for extreme rock crawlers, folks came with some consistency from all parts of western Washington, Oregon and Canada.

No....having the Rock garden as the only challenge area would not be ok with me. But it's not up to me......I will be content with whatever is available.

It will be great if the consultants decide to use the other rock garden in the plan.

As most of you prolly know, Oregon requires everyone on a trail to have ORV tabs even streetable rigs.

Actually this isn't 100% true it's just what Oregon has got everyone to believe.
To answer the question no I would not be happy with the rock garden and I know quite a few others who feel the same way.

As far as I'm concerned the O.M. is the only reason to build a buggy in this state. Sure their a few lines at Moon/Funny rocks, and a couple other places, but nothing much IMO. Hopefully it will be nice and difficult.

And, no, I don't own a buggy, so if I break my junk, and have to winch it out, or pack it out piece by piece with mules, then so be it, all the more reason to build a better rig.