• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

DNR Reiter Motorized Trails Field Day

If you think about it--it really makes sense.

Man-made obstacles? I absolutely agree with that :awesomework:

Mark Mauren knows exactly how I feel on that topic...I have shared my opinion with him on several occasions :beer:

Man-made obstacles? I absolutely agree with that :awesomework:

Mark Mauren knows exactly how I feel on that topic...I have shared my opinion with him on several occasions :beer:

How better of a way to make something very technical and fully control all issues we are always faced with...

One of the trail design consultants is an avid outdoor enthusiast (snow) and we chatted a bit, in car rides out to the various areas we were looking at, about wheeling, my buggy, wheeling trips, etc. and I mentioned I wheeled the Rubicon recently.

I emailed him the 3 GoPro vids I shot of that trip....and the 3 vids I shot of my Outlet Mall run in September. He was very interested in the OM vids and said they'll be helpful in the new trails design......a reference of sorts.

I think the difficult man-made obstacles are preferred by the DNR, rather than using a non-suitable area to accommodate it. The OM was cool....but easily replicated into other areas more suitable.

If you where listening on the day of the outing with DNR you learned some very important "things"...

One: There are several state agencies offer money to DNR to help make Reiter a successful ORV area.
Second: You learned DNR is very committed to making Reiter an ORV area but they "MUST FOLLOW the RULES" no water crossing, they can not authorize ORV land usage under the power-lines with out BPA's approval and they need to follow state and county building permit process to build trails at Reiter.
Third: They have been looking into having something to play on by this summer and by next summer maybe as far as area 7 could be open to ORV use, larger parking lots and maybe camping.
Fourth: The DNR would like to see Reiter built as a highly technical ORV area.
When I was talking to Lisa she brought up how they where thinking about building wood ramps and wood cat walks for the mountain bikers and if it was possible to entertain the possibility of building motorbike and/or 4x4 trails with some of the same types of course designs as the mountain bike trails... This may not work but they are interested and willing to explore what the possibles ara with the new trails at Reiter...

One more point of interest We have asked DNR to go off to research, plan, and permit an ORV area, we need to be willing and able to build what we have asked for when the time comes. If the ORV users don't step up at the right time when the building starts the users who are there will build what there rigs can do not necessarily what we have asked DNR for and what DNR appoved...

When the time comes please have your time, money, resources, equipment or what ever else may be needed ready because I feel we have an opportunity here to build the first of it's kind in the nation if we are ready and willing as an ORV community to step up to the challenge.

This is the first time in a very long time the ORV community is seeing a new official area become available! Lets not blow the opportunity we are being given maybe more area's will become available and maybe even modeled with-in this state and others.

Very nice summery's Scott :awesomework:

Just curious how many buggy,truggy, (whatever you want to call rigs capable of running the Rock Garden fairly well) rigs are there in the State? I keep hearing people talk about DNR will have to build for them since THEY are the majority. How many have ORV tabs and not a plate from some wrecked rig or what their rig used to be? Just throwing around an idea that for those who have ORV tabs the State should have a way to count your rig as an "Off Road" vehicle. Every ATV/UTV pretty much has to have an ORV tag and *most* dirtbikes do as well.

Would most people be happy or at least content *IF* the Rock Garden was the only "extreme" area for 4x4's for say the next 2-5 years? From what it sounded like to me, the area 7 (which was really the only other area they talked about really challenging trails) wouldn't happen until much later. They will have to make other ATV, Bike, mild 4x4 trails before that area would be built IMO.

And please don't **** on me for asking these questions.....cause they are only questions and would like to know your guys's point of view on them.

Little bit :stirpot:, but valid questions. However, the trails, and the difficulty of the trails built will be set by the people building them. *most* of the folks at the DNR walk through where what might be considered "hard core" guys, with atleast 1/2 if not more of the 4x4 representation buggy/truggy guys. There were only a handful of "Bike" guys and a few of them were trials guys (which IMO is a complete different kind of riding, requiring/desiring different tearing that a single-track guy). So those that show up with dictate the way things are built.

You were lucky. Just about all the folks present at the walk through where broad and open minded. Understanding the need and requirement for a variety of trails for all 5 or maybe 6 different motorized forms/styles (which we went over at the meeting, at the architects request).
  • Bike (single track, long trails, reasonably smooth for quick travel)
  • Bike (trials, challenging, unique. Less area, more challenge)
  • Quad (wider bike trails, mixed in with using the bigger trails)
  • UTV/Side-by-Side
  • Easy/Moderate 4x4 (lets call the "Jeep" trails. IMO, "Jeep" trails and UTV trails are for the most part one and the same. Maybe a little quad as well. These are the trails for the casual 4x4 owner out with the family)
  • Hard 4x4 (built rigs)
  • Extreme 4x4 (buggies/truggies)

One of the trail design consultants is an avid outdoor enthusiast (snow) and we chatted a bit, in car rides out to the various areas we were looking at, about wheeling, my buggy, wheeling trips, etc. and I mentioned I wheeled the Rubicon recently.

I emailed him the 3 GoPro vids I shot of that trip....and the 3 vids I shot of my Outlet Mall run in September. He was very interested in the OM vids and said they'll be helpful in the new trails design......a reference of sorts.

I think the difficult man-made obstacles are preferred by the DNR, rather than using a non-suitable area to accommodate it. The OM was cool....but easily replicated into other areas more suitable.

You have nailed the key point mark. The fact that man made obstacles can be put in locatrions and areas that are very suitable but lack in obstacles. I can see a win win scenario there.

Count me in as man made obstacle advocate. I think the ability to create our own rocks from concrete is something we should all push for.

Who do we email and bug about that?

Couple things about the man made obstacles.....When I was talking to the consultant about this she had in mind horizontal logs across the trail as being a man made obstacle. When I asked her about shotcrete she didn't even know what that was.....Something that hasn't come up yet in conversation about man made obstacles is liability. Remember all of the liability law talk that was recently going around? Basically what those laws say is the land owner is at high risk of liability for injuries if there are man made objects involved.
I hope though it can still be made to work.:awesomework:

But also as mentioned in the Recreational Immunity thread, in order to be held liable, they must meet ALL 4 criteria within that wac...otherwise no case in court! Mainly the recreational immunity/liability has been an easy way out so to speak....that said, I really hope it can be made to work out as well!!!:awesomework:

Yah, we've found out in the past 6 months that DNR was full of **** when it came to the 'liability' excuse in regards to obsticales. Now that we're all pushing back on Walker, the response has been more about making sure there is a easy bypass for those who don't wanna do the obsticle.

the response has been more about making sure there is a easy bypass for those who don't wanna do the obsticle.

Which I think is a smart thing to plan into a public wheeling area.

An escape route for broken rigs and a chance to get around people that are determined to make one obsactle and taking all day to do it.

I love wheeling trails. and getting somewhere, but I really enjoy the technical obstacles found along the way. Hell I travel to specific places just to play on a specific obstacle. the more challenging the better, the more optional lines the better.

An escape route for broken rigs and a chance to get around people that are determined to make one obsactle and taking all day to do it.

Pook has a really good point here. Yellow Jacket at Tahuya dosnt really have an easy way out and people keep making their own way out across an area that is not suposed to have a trail.

Down side is you end up with more rigs on the trail that get in the way.

Make the gate keeper as hard if not harder then anything on the trail. Keep some people out that way.

I love wheeling trails. and getting somewhere, but I really enjoy the technical obstacles found along the way. Hell I travel to specific places just to play on a specific obstacle. the more challenging the better, the more optional lines the better.

I think taking these types of ideas is very smart. Look at what we have seen in the past with bypass's to obstacles. We could easy control that with go arounds...

I think taking these types of ideas is very smart. Look at what we have seen in the past with bypass's to obstacles. We could easy control that with go arounds...

This was brought up and we talked about it when out in the field.

This was brought up and we talked about it when out in the field.

Glad to see somebody was able to pass on some good stuff to them..

Another nice aspect of having go arounds is the fact upkeep and maintianance can be lowered I bet..

Yah, we've found out in the past 6 months that DNR was full of **** when it came to the 'liability' excuse in regards to obsticales. Now that we're all pushing back on Walker, the response has been more about making sure there is a easy bypass for those who don't wanna do the obsticle.

:awesomework: As long as the area in question has a viable area for such go-arounds...:; But I agree....