• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Do you prefer watching rigs make it or self-destruct?

Would you rather watch a rig make it or get destroyed trying?

• Make it

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • Yard Sale

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters

patooyee

This question came up after watching Cable Hill last weekend. I was personally surprised that any rigs made it up. 12 out of 50+ did I think. Most broke or broke catastrophically. After a while I was just getting bored watching all the fail and was going to suggest to my group of guys that we leave and go ride instead. I didn't think they would want to so Id didn't. Afterwards they mentioned that they were thinking the same but didn't bring it up because they thought I wanted to stay. I mentioned that perhaps I would have enjoyed it more without the sprinkler hose but then someone mentioned that the crowds only care about monster-truck-style destruction, not actually making it up. I said maybe that's true and I'm just weird. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind watching someone yard sale their junk, its part of the game. But when we are running them up dangerous hills with sprinkler hoses turned on where only 24% don't break, are we just having fun at someone else's expense?

Re:

id much more prefer to see good competition and many people make it, but also it be challenging enough. I do like to see the yard sales but mainly because I know they are in it to win it, and it's good to see what abuse parts can handle.

With a series, I'm sure it's tricky to set up a course because you want ppl to compete with time vs completion, but you don't want it too easy cuz then it's boring.

I was standing at the top of cable hill and was thinking the same. The recoveries were slow and the long breaks in the action sucked...IMO. Luckily I had cold beers so I was pretty happy just hanging out!

I definitely felt like we could do without the water. I mean, I am glad it was keeping the dust down, but I feel like the first 10 or so to run had an advantage because it wasn't good and soaked yet. I understand the trail changes and thats the luck of the draw as well. I think the randomizer app is a cool idea for running order and keeps things fair. I also didn't hear any drivers complaining about the "advantage" the first few drivers had and they are who matter. TC didn't seem to mind the water...

Re:

I like to see a good yardsale as much as the next guy as long as no one gets hurt, but at the same time I know that I personally get bored with it. The recovery time is what kills me. I get bored and usually end up leaving to go ride. And don't take that the wrong way, I'm not bashing the recovery guys or anything, because I know they are working their asses off to get it done quickly and keep the show moving

Someone in our group mentioned SRRS should have run Cable Hill twice. Once dry and once wet instead of two hill. Side benefit would be better setup of recovery allowing the crowd to settle in once spot for the day.
I myself would rather see every rig make the hill and the fastest wins the purse, yet have a hill that is challenging and good for spectators.

I thought there were a lot of cheers when someone made it up..

As far as the water, last year was epic after it rained

I prefer challenging but do-able. recoveries are too long and boring. too much down time, kinda like all the downtime with the koh shootout.

jmo though

I thought the SRRS crew did as good a job as they could given the terrain. How they got that many rigs up 2 hills before dark was pretty impressive to me. Kind of saddened by all the people criticizing.

What if they ahdn't run water down the hill and the competitors didn't have to hit the hill at 700mph? What if they could almost crawl it at that point? Would you still prefer seeing them make it?

I agree that they did a fantastic job of expediting the events! Clyde mentioned at Battlefest that their goal was to start on time this year and move things along. They did that at both events I've been to this year. My hat is off.

Nope. Ill take long recovery times over crawling it any day. I can see crawling any weekend. But...even if everyone makes it, its still a race so they'd still be blasting it! :woot:

It's a race, so I don't think anybody would have attempted to crawl it. I prefer seein guys make it out the top(some in pretty spectacular fashion). Dry would have definitely been easier, but also with more traction there's the possibility of more breakage I would think under race conditions. Overall it was a good show, but I would have preferred to see a couple more make it. That's racin tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the last 5 or 6 that went,the hoses were off. It was muddy at the bottem, but the ledges where the carnage took place had dried out pretty good.

We ran trails pretty much all day while the race was going on but we did stop by cable hill near the end and watch the last 5-6 rigs attempt it.

Personally I kinda hate seeing these guys yard sale their buggies because I know how much money, time and effort they put into them. Cable hill was entertaining yes but it wasn't really a show of how good a driver could control his machine.. it was more of a pin it and hope for the right bounces kinda thing and to me that's not really driving. I would have liked to see the starting line closer to the bottom of the hill so that it would have been more of a test of driver and vehicle setup ability..

I dont goto big events if all possible but the few races I've attended I liked seeing them make it. When every guy breaks or yard sales one it just gets old watching recovery all day. A good yard sale is entertaining but I have yet to figure out why guys spend 30-150k on rigs just to trash them. Seems like a high price to pay to be a youtube hero :dunno:
The 4 cylinder race at HPO last year was just as entertaining to watch as some of the big boys races ive seen.

I voted make it

My vote is make it, but I think some of these guys just destroy there rigs for the attention? :wtflol:

Do people make it when dry? LOL.
Don't worrying about not wanting to watch folks crawl it, I've personally never seen it in person nor a video of someone crawling Cable. If you can prove me wrong with a video, be my guest cause I'm wrong daily. Post it up.
I also don't think the garden hose made nearly as big a mess as when Tony backs the water truck up to the top. Now THAT'S cool!

I think most of the people who attend these events are there to be entertained and they like the crazy hills and the carnage that goes with them and that is great. I personally don't like the big events but if these events help grow the sport that means more parts and parks for me to take advantage of :****: we went down Sunday to ride and I was amazed how much it had cleared out there probably wasn't 50 people in the whole park which was great for me bc we got to ride gray rock for 25 bucks