• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge 5.9L water pump

reefermadnes

Damn son totaled his car the other night,(1st accident) and his fault :mad: and he leaves for WSU in a month.:awesomework: I can get a 2000 durango w/5.9L 4x4 for a smoking deal that has a leaky water pump and a couple of other minor issues,like driver window off the track,1 miss match tire,and a couple small parking lot dings/dents,etc. I have never owned a dodge and the pump looks to a pain in the ass! Pretty sure some guys on here have replaced many of these, any issues or tips to look for or do? ANY OTHER MAJOR ISSUES WITH THE 5.9 besides the mileage?

I've done a 5.9 Durango, and a 5.9 Ram water pump. If I'm not mistaken, there is a little rubber hose on the back side rots out or something. They were both almost a year ago, so I've forgotten a bit of it. Either way, they weren't that bad of jobs.
If I'm not mistaken, the whole accessory mounting bracket has to come off/ be pulled forward, that or I did it the hard way. I remember oil or coolant came out what of the bolt holes holding the assembly on.
And there is also. Metal tube that was rotted in place on the Ram, so we had to buy a new tube, instead of just putting the new oring on the existing tube.

For what it's worth, the water pump, gasket, and thermostat was cheaper from Dodge for factory stuff, than aftermarket was from Shucks. That was with a shop discount at both though, so I don't know what a walk in price is, but it's worth a call.

You can do these pumps without removing the accessory bracket, but it does make replacing the bypass hose possible (and it is recommended) if you do remove the bracket...it really isn't that hard to do, and it opens things up a BUNCH! The heater hose pipe off the pump is known to rot out, and is advised to replace unless there is no visible sign of corrosion inside the pipe.
The intake manifold has a large plate mounted to the bottom of it that the gasket splits, causing a vacuum leak, that can be hard to pinpoint. Again, not a hard job to do, just time-consuming as you need to pull the intake manifold to do it.

Thanks, Think im gonna pick it up:awesomework: Side note-Should be good for the winters over there at WSU and for the pass when coming home!

Thought i would throw in a pic of my sons wrecked car, I mean my wrecked car:mad::mad: and what me and my bro`s are going to do to it---driveway wheeling:beer::beer::beer::beer::haha:

Last edited:
I remember something about the coolant temperature sensor giving false readings after doing either the intake manifold plate gasket or the water pump job, can't remember which. I think it was the water pump. Either way, as I recall, something about the location of the sensor makes it easy to damage during the job and you get funny temperature readings while trying to burp the system. Something like that. I know I ended up replacing the sensor after inspecting it closely and finding it to be broken.

~T.J.

It's tucked right down by the T-stat housing, and can be damaged during T-stat replacement, or removal of the accessory bracket during water pump R&R if not careful. I have never broken one, but have seen it...:awesomework: