• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Help?

wentz912

This may not be the right spot to post this, but I figured here would get more attention.

I am in SW WA and am having an issue with my 93 Dodge Cummins. I'm no diesel tech, and its starting to frustrate me to not have an available tow rig. Can anybody point me to a decent shop for these old trucks? I'm decently mechanical, just not sure where to start with this diesel thing.

Issue started after hauling my 'Runner to Brown's camp for the first time with the Dodge.

Made it to and from the wheeling trip just fine, although the truck did seem a little low on power. I just attributed it to being an Old 12 Valve though.

Anyhow, got the Dodge home, unhooked, all of that, etc. Went to pull away from the trailer, and shifting into drive, the truck stalled out and died. Now, I had noticed the previous couple of times before this, that the truck started slightly harder than normal.

Started it again after the stall, and with some feathering of the throttle, was able to get the truck into the driveway. It was dark, I was tired and pissed. Left it overnight.

Checked it out in the daylight. Truck seems to load up when you try to rev it, even in park. Lots of what smells like fuel smoke out the tail pipe, and if I just let off the pedal, the engine crashes down through idle and stalls out. Truck will idle for as long as I let it. Only problem seems to be off idle.

Changed the fuel filter since that was a duh thing. Didn't see any gnarly chunks in the old one or anything.

At this point I'm stumped. Am I looking at a Injector/Lift Pump issue? Any tips towards further diagnosis before I start changing parts willy-nilly?

Not to take away from your business, but am I any kind of on the right track as to the part at fault?

Well we have seen a few injection pumps fail--not super common but they do. Another issue is air bubbles due to failing feed hose--I have seen a few with this also. The hoses are kind of a pain (from the frame/trans to the pump) but that will eliminate that. As for the lift pump pop the filter off and and turn the key on or crank(can't remember if they get voltage with key on). If no fuel then pump dead. If everything else hunky dory its very likely ya got an injection pump issue..

I would say something broke in the injection pump. truck will run fine with no lift pump, it will just run out of fuel on the top end. Lift pump is mechanical not electrical.

how many miles on the truck? I have seen several high mileage VE pumps have something break internally.

Yep, or they shear the woodruff key on the gear, and they go horribly out of time...At least I recall some of the 12V pumps doing this. This would be the easiest/cheapest of possibilities, as long as the gear wasn't damaged...