• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge newb?

Maverick26

As iron sharpens iron...
Ok guys, I got a chance to make a stab at an 05' Cummins with the 6 speed. I went and looked at it today and it looks like something I could upgrade to but I just want to know if there are any kinks or quarks or tricks to looking these things over before you buy it. Is there anything specific I should be looking at? I already checked the oil. :redneck: The guys said he just did a full rebuild on the front axle with all new joints, steering links, bearings, and breaks. It has a cold air intake thing and 4" exhaust and a chip of some kind. I think its an edge but no attitude. Its got 115k on the clock. Any surprises I should know about?

Its a SL model so nothing to write home to mom about but it is a big upgrade from what I am rolling right now.

Just inspect it like any other vehicle. They really don't have any special issues. My Dad loves his 05 with the G56.. U joints like to go out in the 3rd gens. But it's certainly nothing someone like you would need to worry about.

I had an 08 Quadcab. The seats are the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in and the back seat is tiny compared to a true crewcab. Other than that, they're great trucks.

Been READING a lot about them in the bomber forum and most of the guys are saying to replace the fuel filter every 3k. And install an additional 2mic filter. They also say that these aftermarket cold air intakes are crap and they tent to cause dusting in the motor scoring the cylinder walls. Any truth to this or is this a high concern?

Im also a little concerned about what programer he has and how he drives the truck. He does not have gauges so I guess what I would like to know is is there any posibility of gradual damage or a slow boil type of wear on anything? Sounds like not knowing the rail pressure is not a good thing but thats more of a lightswitch breakage.

Ill get more info on the programmer soon and see what settings he has been using.

I hate buying used. :looser:

Just inspect it like any other vehicle. They really don't have any special issues. My Dad loves his 05 with the G56.. U joints like to go out in the 3rd gens. But it's certainly nothing someone like you would need to worry about.

It has the NV5600 not the G56. I know its not as quick of a shifter but is it still good for towing?

Never had many problems with my 04. Front end parts are the usual, axle ujoints and balljoints. I would change fuel filter every oil change or every other. I had an auto, and they dont like the chips turned up on hi. Dont know how the clutch would do on yours. I also replaced lift pump, but just put in a stock replacement for $200. Not bad trucks in the long run.

It has the NV5600 not the G56. I know its not as quick of a shifter but is it still good for towing?

the NV5600 is the strongest Dodge offered, they shift fine. It's just the pattern that I never cared for.

And I agree about the seats, it is the one thing I can't stand about the 3rd gens.

Let us know what you find out about the programmer.

Well after an thurough lookover and some haggeling on the price I got a new (to me) truck yesterday. I thank you guys and the folks on the BomberDiesel forum for the help. The truck needs a little work to make it my own but I seems to be in a very sound mechanical state. There is a rip in the drivers seat and it needs a good interior cleaning but other then that its in great shape. I plan on doing a valve adjust and changing EVERY fluid. Gonna run synthetic in the diffs and Tcase and the factory recomended fluid for the NV5600. As for motor oil lots of guys are running the Rotela T. Do the cummins motors like the Costco Dello 400? I will be doing the 2um fuel filter mod and run a Baldwin filter in the factory location. Also do these motors run a speacial coolant?

The Preditor Diablo Sport tunner that came with it will most likely be removed and replaced with gauges so I can watch this thing a little closer and get a good base line. Then a Smarty may come later.

This thing feels like it has double the power as my old 7.3L! (cause it does) :011: Its like driving a corvette without a trailer! Very excited to have a new truck.

Attachments

• 12212 002.jpg
    12212 002.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Nice truck, it's even the right color :awesomework:

Let me know if you decide to get a SMARTY. And as far as the oil. Rotella, Mobil and Valvoline are all good choices. Delo once was, but once they introduced the newer low sulfur oil, they started having problems.

Nice truck, it's even the right color :awesomework:

Let me know if you decide to get a SMARTY. And as far as the oil. Rotella, Mobil and Valvoline are all good choices. Delo once was, but once they introduced the newer low sulfur oil, they started having problems.

Ok then thats good to know.

What about the coolant? Anything special there? Aditive?

Damn your a slow learner! When ya gonna listen?

First the 4.3 comes out of the buggy in favor of V8 power.

Then the ford gets parked to enjoy some abundant cummins brute power and economy.

Its like people suggested this before? :fawkdancesmiley: :corn:

:beer::beer:

Fun fact!

Buggy goes from 6cyls to 8 cyls to upgrade,

While.......

The tow rig goes from a 8cyls to a 6cyls to upgrade!

Kinda ironic :eeek:

Ok then thats good to know.

What about the coolant? Anything special there? Aditive?

There is a need for a certain kind of coolant, but at the moment, I can't remember what it was. It's been a long time since I've seen the threads on the diesel boards. I always just ran fleetguard. Picked it up at Cummins NW.. I believe yours takes 7 gallons. Pretty sure that's what my Dad said he needed for his 05.

Brad your a funny guy! For real I laughed cause its so true. I'm really excited about this newer truck.

Jeff my F350 will be for sale soon. It's already white and blue... Just need some red in there for ya. :awesomework: