• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Truck Owners....Loose Steering

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
I know it is pretty common in dodge front ends to get a wondering/loose feeling in the wheel over time? Has anybody found any thing to help tighten the steering up? I check my front end while Jen turned and the TRE's and Ball Joints looked fine and had no visible play. I am looking at the PSC Steering Brace thing and wonder if it will help any? Any personal experience you have would be great.

matt

I don't know, but I drove TK's blue truck before he sold it. It was new, and it felt like it was all over the road. I did not feel comfortable driving it. It was a duelly.

I have an 06 dually and it is tight but I did have a 99 3/4 ton dodge with around 70k on it. The steering was loose as **** - there was nothing I could do to change it - I think it is just the nature of the beast with the dodges.

Matt - as you said there is a brace available and there is talk of in on the cummins forum - some say it Helps a good bit.

I've got the BD steering brace in mine and a new trac bar in mine and it is a lot better. I think an alignment would put it where I want it.

Did you look at the tierod end on the trac bar at the frame and the bushing on the axle. They are notorious for wearing out quick. Like I said, I put a new one in mine, but I ordered one of those Luke's Links and I plan to put it on the old tie rod.

If you have a 3rd gen (2003 and later) never mind all the tie rod stuff.

Fly's truck was really loose also, but his ended up being in the steering box.

You are welcome to drive mine any time you like with the brace on it and see what you think.

Yeah sorry, mine is an 04.5. Neither of my previous 3rd Gen trucks had any problems, but they were all lower mileage.

Missed you the other day Cubby! TK said you had good luck with that brace. The dodge front suspension needs some updating in a bad way, their design wears too damn quick!

I checked for slop and didn't have any that I could see. I let TK drive it, it has some resistance in the wheel when you barely turn right, I think it is the gear box

Matt, the brace will help but it will not stop all the looseness. Ive worked on a bunch of them and the best fix is an aftermarket steering box.

Been driving mine in strip pit every day. :****: Havent aligned it or done anything. In over a year. :dunno: My last dodge was an 03 had to put 2 power steering pumps on it. molaugh My dad has an 01 and it was all over the road till he put a new trac bar on it, but it did have +200K strip pit miles on it. :woot:

I wasn't sure who that was pulling out of Phil's. You got those windows so dark you can't see. 2003 is "The" year to get from what I've heard. I'd like to know what kinda mileage you get. My 01 is around 16-17

Mine is an 04.5, I meant to say 03 and Up, sorry. Yeah the windows were already tinted like that.

Mine is like driving a boat! Got the trac bar from bd coming but its on back order. Talked to Steven about this the other day and said there is some parts available through the dealership to fix the problem but I'm gonna wait and see if the trac bar cures my problem first.

my 03 srw 3500 6speed got about 19 in the city and 24 on the highway with the all terrains, now it gets like 17/21....mud grapplers are gay!!! but they were free, so fawkit...

as far as the steering box...i havent had any problems with him yet...the power steering res. leaks a little but thats about it...

Jamie helped me check tonight. My box has play in it. We tightened it up with the adjuster on top and that helped a good bit. All my steering components are tight and so are my ball joints

i have a 03 ctd and no problems with the steering mine drives great, but my girlfriends dad has a 06 mega cab and if you hit a bump the wrong way it has a bad death wobble that we have yet to solve

hinton said:
i have a 03 ctd and no problems with the steering mine drives great, but my girlfriends dad has a 06 mega cab and if you hit a bump the wrong way it has a bad death wobble that we have yet to solve

My 06 dually does the same thing sometimes - scared the **** out of me the first time it happened - I mean :wtflol: man the truck has 28k on there's no reason for a death wobble - kind of pisses me off!

Dodge truck are notorious for DW. Get that stuff fixed while you still have warranty. Talk to Steven, they have a death wobble fix you can get through the dealer. They are also installing the new and improved 08 steering on trucks that report DW now and it is much better. My 06 Hemi had it and I got an aftermarket steering stabilizer out of the deal. Tire pressure and better tires than the Rugged Trails they put on there eliminated mine, but it was always a rough ride

The only warranty I have on my truck now is the cummins warranty - the dodge warranty ran out first of April. It does not happen often - but i will say I have owned older dodges that did not do it.