• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dodge Turn Signal out...Help

Jaydog

Ok, so my turn signal is out on the drivers side rear of my Dodge. The front one works, and the trailer one works, but the ones in the bed don't, there are three turn signals in the flat bed per side (two in back and one on the headache rack), I have chased it back to where it enters the cab and there is still no power to the wire. Checked fuses and nothing, checked where the factory plugs into the bed and nothing,I am stumped, this thing only has 1,000 miles on it, I took it to Larson Dodge, and they don't want to help, because I bought it somewhere else. Anyhow, any input would help out, or a dodge dealership that has a tech with a brain would also be helpful.

This is what the back looks like to kinda help explain what I was rambling about.

Fairlead006.jpg

First I would do is be on the phone to a Chrysler corporate customer service center wanting to know why a dealer will not perform warranty work on a brand new truck.

Larsen Dodge

Good to know that. When I go lookin for a new Dodge Truck to replace my 98. It wont be Larsen Dodge.
Did you buy the truck and have the flat bed added after or was it already on it?
Dennis

First I would do is be on the phone to a Chrysler corporate customer service center wanting to know why a dealer will not perform warranty work on a brand new truck.

Mabye because they didn't build the bed? Very common, need to talk to the utility bed manufacturer.

Good to know that. When I go lookin for a new Dodge Truck to replace my 98. It wont be Larsen Dodge.
Did you buy the truck and have the flat bed added after or was it already on it?
Dennis
The bed was put on by the dealer, Dave Smith has a contract with KZ beds and puts them on all of their cab and chassis rigs, It is warranty work, because the problem is in the rig itself, not the bed, I have power to all of the electrical wires from the cab back, except the left turn signal to the bed, the left turn signal to the trailer is a seperate wire and has power to it. I talked to another dealership and they will take a look, but are two to three days out, so I will continue to try and find the problem myself until then.

The bed was put on by the dealer, Dave Smith has a contract with KZ beds and puts them on all of their cab and chassis rigs, It is warranty work, because the problem is in the rig itself, not the bed, I have power to all of the electrical wires from the cab back, except the left turn signal to the bed, the left turn signal to the trailer is a seperate wire and has power to it. I talked to another dealership and they will take a look, but are two to three days out, so I will continue to try and find the problem myself until then.
Ok, I'm not trying to disagree with you. But... What if the bed installer caused the problem in the cab. Who would be responsible then? I agree that it sucks they won't even look at it, that's pretty stupid. Glad to hear you found another that is being cooperative.

Ok, I'm not trying to disagree with you. But... What if the bed installer caused the problem in the cab. Who would be responsible then? I agree that it sucks they won't even look at it, that's pretty stupid. Glad to hear you found another that is being cooperative.

The dealer installed the bed.

That is one of the problems I've heard of dealing /w Dave Smith. Yes, they'll give you a great deal, but ANY problems like this just turn into a huge hassle. My neighbor bought a new '06 Dodge /w the mopar aftermarket running boards on it. New truck, factory warranty, mopar boards installed by dealer (dave smith)... local dealers wouldn't touch it under warranty. He had to pay for the repair and then fight /w Dave Smith to get his $$$ back.

J

If it's just the flatbed lights then it's probably a ground on the flatbed that has come disconected.
The parking lamps light up, but the left side turn signal and the left side brake light don't work, and they all use the same ground.

From what I gather you have no voltage to the turn signal lamps? Also your rig has a seperate brake/turn lamps?

From what I gather you have no voltage to the turn signal lamps? Also your rig has a seperate brake/turn lamps?
Correct, no voltage at the turn signal, and the brake/turn lamps are one bulb, two elements, I am still trying to trace out and find the second ground point on the bed, but the freakin fuel tank is like four feet long and as wide as the inside frame rails, so it is hard to see above it, I am still not positive that it isn't a grounding problem, but I am no electrician. The power wire coming from the cab should still be carrying voltage if one of the lights isn't grounded, Correct?

Correct, no voltage at the turn signal, and the brake/turn lamps are one bulb, two elements, I am still trying to trace out and find the second ground point on the bed, but the freakin fuel tank is like four feet long and as wide as the inside frame rails, so it is hard to see above it, I am still not positive that it isn't a grounding problem, but I am no electrician. The power wire coming from the cab should still be carrying voltage if one of the lights isn't grounded, Correct?

Yes--you should still have voltage even if there is no ground.

I will check some schematics on tues and see if anything pops up in my head.

The Fix

Ok, after checking wires and crawling under my rig for hours I finally talked to Dave Smiths service manager, the problem is that the 6.7 has a new computer that monitors the amps output to each light, the lights for the rear are a two light system and the flatbed has three lights which draws more amps and confuses the computer into thinking there is a light out and it shuts down power to that circuit to prevent further damage, so they are sending me a relay to install to fix the problem, at least it is an easy fix, I'll just have to drive around for another week without turn signals. :;

Interesting "problem." I hope their solution works and resolves the issue.

You can always use old skool hand/arm signals for a while. :;

Ok, after checking wires and crawling under my rig for hours I finally talked to Dave Smiths service manager, the problem is that the 6.7 has a new computer that monitors the amps output to each light, the lights for the rear are a two light system and the flatbed has three lights which draws more amps and confuses the computer into thinking there is a light out and it shuts down power to that circuit to prevent further damage, so they are sending me a relay to install to fix the problem, at least it is an easy fix, I'll just have to drive around for another week without turn signals. :;

So take the bulbs out of the headache rack units, easy temp fix.

Latest posts