• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Does it ever end!

Cole1

Well after about 9 months of building my toyota Im getting pretty pissed. When I got the truck it had a 20R with a blown head gasket which I replaced to shortly after blowing up all the rockers on the pass. side. I picked up a used 22R and droped it in and rewired the whole truck.

Anyways I went to drive it to work today and the head gasket on the 22R took a ****......now im trying to figure out what to do next.

I wanted to swap to a 22RE but the 22R was easier at the time. I really want my truck to be up and running for some snow wheeling but this motor issue is holding me back.

Now im trying to decide if I find another 22R to replace this one or just do the head gasket or go to a 22RE. Ive thought about the 4.3 swap as well but I dont really want to buy an adapter so i can keep my toy duals.

What would you guys do in this situation?:corn:

Spend a few hours/half a day and just do a head gasket on it, then drive to work, play in snow, go wheelin etc.
Then take your time deciding about 22re, 4.3, LS1, cummins swap etc :D:beer:

Well this morning it was over heating and pouring out white smoke. When I cruised it around on thanksgiving thou I didnt notice It getting hot or the white smoke.:booo: I even checked the oil and everything this mornign and it didnt look milky att all:eeek:

22r's are my best friend ,just don't cut corners and it will luv ya.

weber,headers,delta cam,hardin guides,new crank berrings ,ohh yeah new gasket set. $500 LATER

put a 22re in it, then drag it to port orchard, where i live and i 'll charge you a small fee and thin out a 22re harness for you. just supply the harness w/the motor.

why is the head gasket blowing? Are you over heating?

I asked myself this question ages ago when i lost a headgasket on a engine with 18k on it. Took it all apart, looked it over real good, Put a hg back in, fired it up and went wheelin. The next day i checked the head bolt torque. Shocking doesnt quite relay what i found.

Just do a head gasket and quit looking for reasons to tear it down/build it different again.

Dont pull the lift and tuck **** either.

Get the head off and INSPECT it. It may have had a gasket put in it last month and it would blow out if the cooling ports are rotten and pitted.

If the head is rotten or pitted beyond use then let me know. I have a couple good R heads.

One night if yer good

two nights if yer a goob.

Its easy.

damn chris thats weak bro.:rb:

get that ****er done already and do a HG

if infact the head is no good. i can get you hooked up with a brand new casting loaded or unloaded or a good used head for a good deal.

you no i got da hook up's brotha hit me up

Well thinking about it all day and im just gonna replace the head gasket and it seems like you all agree.

I just cleaned out the garage to work on my 4runner so hopefully I can run the 1st gen to my buddys to replace it so im not out in the elemnets. If that works out hopefully I can get it all fixed up this weekend:awesomework:

make sure to follow the toyota toque proceedure.
I've seen it happen a few times. where it was just "torqued" and not as per toyotas proceedure.. guess what happened..

Yup.. blown head gasket.
its something like.. xxx ft/lbs..and a quarter turn or somthing of the sort.