• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

****ed up 4L60E

Poohbair

Pabst O'Holic
1995 K1500 4x4 / 5.7 / Auto

Everything worked fine when I parked it Monday night.

Tuesday morning, fired it up, went to leave, no 1st gear, and no OD

Ran valve body cleaner thru it, no change.

after reading this...

11. No 1st or 4th available; trans shifts 2nd to 3rd by itself in D or OD and locks the converter: Shift A solenoid failed Or a wiring problem from PCM to trans or PCM. Needs diagnostic testing.

here...

30-Common-4L60E-Transmission-Problems-Repair-Charlotte-NC

today I replaced the 1-2 shift solenoid, the 2-3 control solenoid, filter, fluid, etc... No change...

I guess next is to change the PCM??

Anyone else had a similar issue with one of these?

Mine is at 169K

As clean as the pan was I am assuming that it has had at minimum regular maintenance (I just got the truck 4K ago) or it has had the tranny done at some point in the past... Not sure, but the fluid looks great and there is hardly any clutch dust in the pan.

Long shot, but check all the fuses?

I'd loose the OD in our '94 C3500 flat-bed worktruck at the shop (assuming 4L80) would go out when the fuse for the hazard lights would blow, or maybe it was the brake lights. We fixed what was causing the fuse to go a while back so I can't remember exactly, but the two would go hand-in hand, and was a good indicator of when the fuse was blown (no OD).

Still had 1st, so probably not the same thing.

Long shot, but check all the fuses?

I'd loose the OD in our '94 C3500 flat-bed worktruck at the shop (assuming 4L80) would go out when the fuse for the hazard lights would blow, or maybe it was the brake lights. We fixed what was causing the fuse to go a while back so I can't remember exactly, but the two would go hand-in hand, and was a good indicator of when the fuse was blown (no OD).

Still had 1st, so probably not the same thing.

It had a blown maxi fuse under the hood ... Changed that and no change

Buddy had a 4l60e and it gave him assloads of problems think he eventually switched it for a 700r4 or something....I just remember all the times helping him put it in and out lol

Just a idea for you and probably not likely seeing that you lost first gear but my vss went bad and made my 4l60 do some really weird ****. Might be worth testing?

Last edited:
Just a idea for you and probably not likely seeing that you lost first gear but my vss went bad and made my 4l60 do some really weird ****. Might be worth testing?
Along this line, in my F250 when the Throttle Position Sensor failed, the transmission went nuts. Ford diagnosed it, and I said BS, but I let them put one on and it did solve the issues.

FYI the 1995 4l60 is 1 year only on the electrical inside,and the computer that runs it...if/when your shopping for a used trans it has to be from a 95 as does the computer..

So I figured out how to pull the codes for this OBD1 ****er...

Pulls 4 codes...

66 - Transmission 3rd-2nd control solenoid circuit malfunction Wiring, control solenoid, ECM

67 - Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid circuit malfunction Wiring, TCC solenoid, ECM

81 - Transmission shift solenoid (SS), 2nd-3rd circuit malfunction Wiring, SS, ECM

82 - Transmission shift solenoid (SS), 1st-2nd circuit malfunction Wiring, SS, ECM

Sounds like it is a wiring problem, or a bad ECM..

A friend of mine had a similar problem and finally chased down the wiring, starting at the tranny and working backward. He found a spot where something had cut or torn the harness.