• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Educate me on Education loans ( sending yo kid to college )

P

If its free, its P
So I need any info any of yall can give concerning sending your kiddo off to school. Specifically wants to live in dorms and get in way to much debt way to young. My daughter is very set on experiencing dorm life etc etc. Im just ready for her to use her scholarships and get something started. She has chosen to go to University of West Alabama ( did oreintation a fee weeks ago )

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

I'm 50k in debt with no degree to show for it, and if i could do it all over again i'd have gone to some sort of trade school, or just not have gone at all. Also pics of said daughter? :fish:

If she can, avoid student loans like the plague and push for her to work while in school. My wife basically lived off of her excess student loans. We'll be paying on that one for a while....

That said, she now has her masters and works her dream job as an OT in the school system. So, if she's happy, I'm happy.

I on the other hand have no degree, flunked out of college, have been a chemist(that required a masters degree) and a fiber optic engineer, and am on track to make more than my wife this year. But zero student loan debt. A 4 year degree would definitely make job hunting easier though.

Got a friend at work that is 35 years old and still has about $15k left on his student loans and all he has to show is a Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Don't do it. Or if you do borrow any, borrow minimally and definitely push her to work while she is in school to help pay for it.

No grants or anything she can take advantage of? I understand the desire to move off to college, but it also sounds like a good time to throw some financial perspective her way so she understands the financial burden. Takes a long time to pay that **** off, especially on entry level wages after graduating. Also, what if she doesn't graduate for whatever reason like mentioned above and has no degree to help find a job, then all the outstanding debt is still there.

You could also try to promote an online degree from the same college so she can finish while still living at home without all the other shitload of money being blown on dormlife.

Definitely think it through before moving her off and kicking off the student debt wagon.

I know TN does the whole "free 2 year associates degree" program. Does Alabama?

Do not pay for it for her as she goes. Save your money and let her take the loans, If you want to pay for it after she graduates, help her out then as you can.

The people I know who paid for their kids college totally screwed their retirement and are working years longer than they planned or could have.

If my kids plan to go to college, I plan to make them enroll in a community college where credits can transfer over to a large college.

The first few years is BS crap that everyone takes anyways. It wasn't till my end of Junior year, and Senior year that my classes were heavily targeted towards my degree.
That's when I will tell them to go the big school. Get the good education (hopefully), and get the accreditation of the better school for a diploma, and keep the debt to a minimum. 3 years at a Community college won't cost much, and during that time, they can work or intern (better idea) and make money to help pay for their final year in the bigger school. That way, if they do accrue debt, it's much less than 4 years at the big school.

My boys will have the choice, learn a trade, or do college my way. I'm not paying for them to half-ass it. I was a spoiled piece of **** in college, and happily I got my ass handed to me quickly in the real world. I don't want my kids doing the same thing.

Check into Financial Grant aids, they have something for everybody. I MEAN EVERYBODY............ It is ridiculous that an average normal student has a harder time getting grant money than a BI Racial transgender Zima drinking skinny pants wearing Gothic Gamer can get. Seriously, it is ridiculous, but HB is smart and can get the monies she deserves, just takes a lot of paperwork to get it. As for planning, better put aside $25k per year and count to 5, not four. There is always that internship year of getting the experience before she goes out into the real world and make her way. Chas is going through this right now and my suggestion is do not make her get a job the first year, it can definitely overwhelm her with all the adjustments of being on her own away from family and friends.

ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Re: Educate me on Education loans ( sending yo kid to college )

customcj7 said:
If my kids plan to go to college, I plan to make them enroll in a community college where credits can transfer over to a large college.

The first few years is BS crap that everyone takes anyways. It wasn't till my end of Junior year, and Senior year that my classes were heavily targeted towards my degree.
That's when I will tell them to go the big school. Get the good education (hopefully), and get the accreditation of the better school for a diploma, and keep the debt to a minimum. 3 years at a Community college won't cost much, and during that time, they can work or intern (better idea) and make money to help pay for their final year in the bigger school. That way, if they do accrue debt, it's much less than 4 years at the big school.

My boys will have the choice, learn a trade, or do college my way. I'm not paying for them to half-ass it. I was a spoiled piece of **** in college, and happily I got my ass handed to me quickly in the real world. I don't want my kids doing the same thing.
Winner. My community college tuition cost is $444 for one 3 credit hour class, whereas when I transfer to a 4 yr school to finish, tuition for one 3 credit hour class is $927.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CHASMAN9 said:
Check into Financial Grant aids, they have something for everybody. I MEAN EVERYBODY............ It is ridiculous that an average normal student has a harder time getting grant money than a BI Racial transgender Zima drinking skinny pants wearing Gothic Gamer can get. Seriously, it is ridiculous, but HB is smart and can get the monies she deserves, just takes a lot of paperwork to get it. As for planning, better put aside $25k per year and count to 5, not four. There is always that internship year of getting the experience before she goes out into the real world and make her way. Chas is going through this right now and my suggestion is do not make her get a job the first year, it can definitely overwhelm her with all the adjustments of being on her own away from family and friends.

ADMINISTRATOR

Man, this last line makes a lot of sense to me. Everyone says "make her work, make her work!" Screw that. Her job is school. Which is more valuable? The minimum wage job at Starbucks or the tuition cost of failing a class? Or even the potential academic scholarships she could get in subsequent years if she does well in her first year?

As others have mentioned, grants, scholarships, etc are out there. Some of them you have to dig to find and have to do a little work to get. Do the work and get the free money or someone else will. Start on those things early and meet the deadlines.

This isn't related to student loans, but first few weeks of school on campus is flooded with companies offering credit cards to anyone that can sign their name. Definitely an easy way to rack up bad debt quick. I know from experience there...

creepycrawly said:
Man, this last line makes a lot of sense to me. Everyone says "make her work, make her work!" Screw that. Her job is school. Which is more valuable? The minimum wage job at Starbucks or the tuition cost of failing a class? Or even the potential academic scholarships she could get in subsequent years if she does well in her first year?

Disagree.

If you are failing classes due to a part time flexible schedule at somewhere like Starbucks, you're really gonna **** when it's time to join the real world. Only people I know that had rich enough parents to not have to work during college partied their asses off and were pretty much worthless as ****....a lot of that time could have been spent working part time and helping pay their way.

smbroady82 said:
Say what?

Tennessee Lottery funds an awesome schorlarship program, and a bunch of other education finding. Associates and tech degrees are free in TN (if you maintain qualification).
College tuition can be pretty much paid for also. Now they are starting programs for "non traditional" students (not HS graduates) to get associate degrees also.

I graduated HS in 04 and was the first class to get the lottery scholarships (its gotten even better over the last 14 years).

Mine was $5000/year for 4 years to use towards tuition/books as long as I was enrolled as a full time student at a state university, and kept a 3.0 GPA.

I also got an academic "service" scholarship that covered another $5000/year + dorms & meal plan the first 2 years. Had to keep 3.0 GPA and work like 6hrs a week for the department of my major.

Join the Navy or another branch. 4 years of TA and then will have the Post 9/11 GI Bill. No debt and will get on the job training.

TBItoy said:
Tennessee Lottery funds an awesome schorlarship program, and a bunch of other education finding. Associates and tech degrees are free in TN (if you maintain qualification).
College tuition can be pretty much paid for also. Now they are starting programs for "non traditional" students (not HS graduates) to get associate degrees also.

I graduated HS in 04 and was the first class to get the lottery scholarships (its gotten even better over the last 14 years).

Mine was $5000/year for 4 years to use towards tuition/books as long as I was enrolled as a full time student at a state university, and kept a 3.0 GPA.

I also got an academic "service" scholarship that covered another $5000/year + dorms & meal plan the first 2 years. Had to keep 3.0 GPA and work like 6hrs a week for the department of my major.
What he said. I tried to apply for the free associates program now. But since I used the lottery scholarship back in the day, I'm no longer eligible.

TBItoy said:

Interesting

She got to Scholarships so there is 6k combined. I told her and her Momma I agree to pay 1/3 of whatever this endeavor ends up being. I feel thats fair, sje paus a 3rd momma pays a third. Got alot of paperwork emailed to me yesterday. Its gonna be expensive regardless. :****:

I can't get through to my wife. I have an 18 yo stepdaughter going into Arkansas this fall (hooray out of state tuition). She is doing criminal psychology. Yup, she watches too much CSI or criminal minds or whatever. Reads books about it. The real world is a shitty paying govt job that has no action and lots of research that in the end makes you want to blow your brains out.
"Can we send her to the local CC where credits transfer?" "No, want her to experience that 'campus life'"
Yesterday she's sitting on her ass at 4pm when I came in to get ready for my boy's ballgame, "How many hours are you working this summer?" 25ish. ****ing hours. before going to university. "She just got done with HS, the rest of her life will be all work, she is enjoying her summer". The anger and cold shoulder the rest of the day because I dared say something so inflamatory. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here. WTF. Why are some women so stupid and how did I end up married to one
We can't talk about budget, we can't talk about loans, we can't talk about financial responsibility, working your way through or anything. She's going to end up a $34K /yr social worker with 50K in debt. And hate her job in 4 years.
*Throws up hands*

blacksheep10 said:
I can't get through to my wife. I have an 18 yo stepdaughter going into Arkansas this fall (hooray out of state tuition). She is doing criminal psychology. Yup, she watches too much CSI or criminal minds or whatever. Reads books about it. The real world is a shitty paying govt job that has no action and lots of research that in the end makes you want to blow your brains out.
"Can we send her to the local CC where credits transfer?" "No, want her to experience that 'campus life'"
Yesterday she's sitting on her ass at 4pm when I came in to get ready for my boy's ballgame, "How many hours are you working this summer?" 25ish. ****ing hours. before going to university. "She just got done with HS, the rest of her life will be all work, she is enjoying her summer". The anger and cold shoulder the rest of the day because I dared say something so inflamatory. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here. WTF. Why are some women so stupid and how did I end up married to one
We can't talk about budget, we can't talk about loans, we can't talk about financial responsibility, working your way through or anything. She's going to end up a $34K /yr social worker with 50K in debt. And hate her job in 4 years.
*Throws up hands*

My life x2 brother, the step daughter that just turned 20 is getting married in Sept to an AF TACP ( READ will always be deployed or training somewhere ) and is afraid of my basement so doesnt do laundry, spends her money on clothes and wedding stuff but wont pay to fix her car she blew up a month and a half ago. Hailey jas done very little and can get a FREE 2YR associated online through my Union and has not bothered to tale advantage of it. Im * Throws up hands " right there with ya :****: