• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Educate me on Education loans ( sending yo kid to college )

Student loans are Satan. If they didn't exist I would be self employed or we would be two years into paying for a vacation home, possibly both. My wife has done extremely well but has paid a ridiculous amount of money back for her education.

I would research .gov loans and grants heavily. There is plenty out there for the taking. Also, if she is getting student loans make sure she sticks to the .gov funded stuff as the interest rates are much better. Also, I suggest her getting a part time job in school and paying the interest on the loans while in school. Easily doable and keeps from accruing more and more throughout those 4 years to the point that it is a burden when she graduates. And, lets face it... she should prepare for 4.5-5 years as every kid gets lazy at some point or finds frat parties.

Good luck, even more of a reminder to question the thoughts of breeding.

Just color in the minority box on race and the world becomes ur oyster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm of the mindset that it's not the parents' responsibilities to pay for their kids college. My parents couldn't afford to pay for our college and I'm glad they didn't even entertain the idea of trying to do so and burden themselves with that ****. My sister has a bachelor's degree in education and is an elementary school teacher and I'll have an Associate's in Business Management in December.

They'll learn to swim on their own if you let them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm from Missouri, We have a program where if you have above a 3.2 GPA in High school you can go to community college for free. I worked full time and went to a local two year community college. Walked away with no debt then went on to a large university that was accredited than the original 4 years schools I wanted to go to. I graduated 2 years later with an bachelors in Accounting and also one in Finance. When I got out of school I had less then 5k in student loans which was about 3 years ago. I would tell anyone to go to a local community college for multiple reasons. One you can work full time or close to it. For the experience part I partied more locally then went I went away to school. Still haven't paid the 5k back 100% yet due to the tax benefit of writing the interest off as a tax deduction. Still haven't paid the 5k back 100% yet due to the tax benefit of writing the interest off as a tax deduction.

Re: Re: Educate me on Education loans ( sending yo kid to college )

collinmaune said:
I'm from Missouri, We have a program where if you have above a 3.2 GPA in High school you can go to community college for free. I worked full time and went to a local two year community college. Walked away with no debt then went on to a large university that was accredited than the original 4 years schools I wanted to go to. I graduated 2 years later with an bachelors in Accounting and also one in Finance. When I got out of school I had less then 5k in student loans which was about 3 years ago. I would tell anyone to go to a local community college for multiple reasons. One you can work full time or close to it. For the experience part I partied more locally then went I went away to school.

"Still haven't paid the 5k back 100% yet due to the tax benefit of writing the interest off as a tax deduction. Still haven't paid the 5k back 100% yet due to the tax benefit of writing the interest off as a tax deduction."

You can say that again! :flipoff1:

I work for the DOD and they paid for my college. My wife worked two part time jobs and paid for her basics as she went to avoid student loans. Then, the hospital where she works now paid for her last two years. Maybe, she could get a job in the field of degree she wants, they might help pay. :dunno:

DallasBlade said:
I work for the DOD and they paid for my college. My wife worked two part time jobs and paid for her basics as she went to avoid student loans. Then, the hospital where she works now paid for her last two years. Maybe, she could get a job in the field of degree she wants, they might help pay. :dunno:

One thing I hate is that it's automatically engrained in society to go to college straight after high school. I didn't have any damn direction or anything when I was 18 and a fresh high school graduate. Nothing wrong with going to work first, figuring out a direction and going to college later in life. That's why most people end up with dumbass degrees like my buddy that is in his mid 30's and paying on student loans for a BS in criminal justice that has benefitted him absolutely none, as he is my coworker and no degree is required to do our job.

I completely agree, I did go to college but I think going out an working first gets you an idea of what you don't want to do. Honestly I'm 25 I can't tell you want I want to do when I grow up. Yes I have a good job now but it's not what I want to do forever, but I can tell you a lot of **** I don't want to do.

The local high school has a dual enrollment plan were the kids can take college classes their Junior and Senior years and receive an associate degree two weeks after they graduate high school. My daughter is in the program and doing well. I told her and her mother that I will not be paying for college that she can work really hard in school and earn scholarships and/or she can apply for grants and loans for her college. My folks didn't pay a penny for my education but they gave me a place to live and I never when hungry while I was in school.

The #1 question is..

What degree is she pursuing?

That decides all the rest of it. College is point less if your degree won't guarantee you a job.

customcj7 said:
If my kids plan to go to college, I plan to make them enroll in a community college where credits can transfer over to a large college.

The first few years is BS crap that everyone takes anyways. It wasn't till my end of Junior year, and Senior year that my classes were heavily targeted towards my degree.
That's when I will tell them to go the big school. Get the good education (hopefully), and get the accreditation of the better school for a diploma, and keep the debt to a minimum. 3 years at a Community college won't cost much, and during that time, they can work or intern (better idea) and make money to help pay for their final year in the bigger school. That way, if they do accrue debt, it's much less than 4 years at the big school.

My boys will have the choice, learn a trade, or do college my way. I'm not paying for them to half-ass it. I was a spoiled piece of **** in college, and happily I got my ass handed to me quickly in the real world. I don't want my kids doing the same thing.

Agree, same here.

Its a shame that college has almost become mandatory, to get a "good job" but with little to no benefit from the actually schooling.
The whole realm of college has gotten WAY out of hand. What is so wrong with learning a trade, coming up thru ranks etc? Or working for yourself?
When i finally graduated high school in 2002 i thought i was less of a person if i didnt go to college. All the bs rammed down my throat in K-12 shaped me to believe that. So i got to college and did not understand why I was there.

Kubotaorange76 said:
Agree, same here.

Its a shame that college has almost become mandatory, to get a "good job" but with little to no benefit from the actually schooling.
The whole realm of college has gotten WAY out of hand. What is so wrong with learning a trade, coming up thru ranks etc? Or working for yourself?
When i finally graduated high school in 2002 i thought i was less of a person if i didnt go to college. All the bs rammed down my throat in K-12 shaped me to believe that. So i got to college and did not understand why I was there.

That's the way I was too.

If it weren't for the drawbacks of stupid expensive insurance and some terrible work things, I'd like to work for myself doing property maintenance or something like that. There was a connection I had a couple years back that done a lot of work for me, mainly HVAC, but he could do anything. Plumbing, Electrical, carpentry, fix your dishwasher if it tore up, etc. His personal business was called All Trades Property Maintenance, he had one helper, and could pretty much write his own paychecks. He always had as much work as he wanted each week. But it takes a lot to learn all that stuff, and I am NOT all about crawling under houses, attics, and ****, although I enjoy some of the other types of the work. He ended up having back problems and took a salary job working for a larger company and don't do any side work anymore, so I lost my hookup for fixing things that I can't at our 2 rental houses.

It's better imo to figure out what you want to do with your life and then go to college for exactly that....if you know that at age 18, that's pretty awesome and more power to you.....because all I wanted to do at 18 was work to afford toys, drink beer, and chase *****. I worked a lot of overtime back then too, and thought I was busy, sometimes too busy to have the amount of fun I wanted to have outside of work. If I was only as busy now as I thought I was back then, I'd have it made. :****:

TacomaJD said:
It's better imo to figure out what you want to do with your life and then go to college for exactly that...

^ This. So many just think "Oh I wanna get a degree in finance" and then can't tell you where they plan to work afterward or what they wanna do. Or the people who get degrees in psychology! WHY?? I know two people with masters in psychology making about 10 an hour working dead end jobs.

The best college degrees are in healthcare and engineering. Healthcare being #1 IMO..

Going into a technical college and getting a welding/electrician/industrial maintenance degree/certificate is also good money and steady jobs now.

Dwill817 said:
^ This. So many just think "Oh I wanna get a degree in finance" and then can't tell you where they plan to work afterward or what they wanna do. Or the people who get degrees in psychology! WHY?? I know two people with masters in psychology making about 10 an hour working dead end jobs.

The best college degrees are in healthcare and engineering. Healthcare being #1 IMO..

Going into a technical college and getting a welding/electrician/industrial maintenance degree/certificate is also good money and steady jobs now.

You can add Computer Science to that list. It is the degree of the future and the future is now. Google is building a new data center about 45 minutes from my house. Large companies have a plethora of software developer, IT, cybersecurity, etc openings too.

I don't have the patience for working with computers. Lol

****! Kids better be learning a trade or skill, they are in high demand now, give it another 10-15 years and computer jobs will be a dime a dozen and someone that can actually make, build, or fix something will be the ones in high demand.

TacomaJD said:
You can add Computer Science to that list. It is the degree of the future and the future is now. Google is building a new data center about 45 minutes from my house. Large companies have a plethora of software developer, IT, cybersecurity, etc openings too.
zukimaster said:
****! Kids better be learning a trade or skill, they are in high demand now, give it another 10-15 years and computer jobs will be a dime a dozen and someone that can actually make, build, or fix something will be the ones in high demand.

I agree with the second. Every kid growing up now will have a grasp on computers and LOTS of them will get degrees in it. The trades will continue to suffer and make workers wealthy if they master a craft

It's a controversial topic....learn a trade or get a degree and make the same money, give me a degree so I can work in climate controlled atmosphere and not be broke down and falling apart when I get older. There is very little incentive to learn trades anymore. You can learn a trade and make $12/hr, or you can learn a trade and make 6 figures. You can get a degree and make $12/hr or you can get a degree and make six figures. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this... No matter which way you go, the ones willing to put in the time, effort, and hard work are the ones that succeed, regardless of the path.

The lack of people in the trades world like electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc, is driving up the money that those that are currently doing those jobs make each year. Which is good, it will keep the trades alive, as people will always find niches to make good money that don't like other options out there.

Forgot about the computer stuff. It definitely is a growing field.

I feel like the only way to make big bucks with a trade is to own your own business :dunno: I don't know many journeryman electricians, HVAC guys, welders, or plumbers working for a company and knocking it back.. I know some welders that make good, but they do specialty stuff and they aren't just production welders.

Re:

I know some journeymen electricians and welders that work for large companies making bank, some are on here. Power companies or power plants pay big money for jobs like that. Also know some linemen knocking out 6 figures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk