• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Educate me on Education loans ( sending yo kid to college )

Re:

TacomaJD said:
I know some journeymen electricians and welders that work for large companies making bank, some are on here. Power companies or power plants pay big money for jobs like that. Also know some linemen knocking out 6 figures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If I wanted to kill hours, I could make ALOT more than I do. My co worker doubles daily and works weekends and has made over 90k already. I have been working more OT lately but yea, there is money out there to be made if you want it

Re:

P said:
If I wanted to kill hours, I could make ALOT more than I do. My co worker doubles daily and works weekends and has made over 90k already. I have been working more OT lately but yea, there is money out there to be made if you want it

Make her work a retail job, that was my wake up call about getting a real job, but like i said, If i could do it again I'd have done a trade. Still waiting on pics of said daughter btw....

Re: Re:

jeeptj99 said:
Make her work a retail job, that was my wake up call about getting a real job, but like i said, If i could do it again I'd have done a trade. Still waiting on pics of said daughter btw....
You are still young enough to do whatever you want, go learn a trade if that's really what you want to do. :****:

TBItoy said:
Tennessee Lottery funds an awesome schorlarship program, and a bunch of other education finding. Associates and tech degrees are free in TN (if you maintain qualification).
College tuition can be pretty much paid for also. Now they are starting programs for "non traditional" students (not HS graduates) to get associate degrees also.

I graduated HS in 04 and was the first class to get the lottery scholarships (its gotten even better over the last 14 years).

Mine was $5000/year for 4 years to use towards tuition/books as long as I was enrolled as a full time student at a state university, and kept a 3.0 GPA.

I also got an academic "service" scholarship that covered another $5000/year + dorms & meal plan the first 2 years. Had to keep 3.0 GPA and work like 6hrs a week for the department of my major.

Yep, this is the new face of TN...just give the kiddos free college. So if you gonna go, you'd be stupid not to take the first two years for free. Then go to a 4 year college and be out in two years. BUT you got to take at least 15 hours a semester to get out in said 4 year collage. I did not figure this out until my 4th year and realized that I still had 1 more year to go.

But as far as loans, try to stay away from them if you can. As soon as your done with collage, you'll start getting bills for the loan. Plus if you don't stay on top of the payments they'll eat you up. My wife just paid hers off and it only took her 4.5 years to do it but 3.5 of those years she work two jobs and between 60 to 70 hours a week just to pay it off early. If she'd had kept making the small payments that she was before we meet, she'd probably still have another 5 or 10 years worth of payments. Myself I just worked my way through it.

I guess the main thing is to look at collage like a investment, and you are wanting a good return on your money. So if you go to a collage that cost like $60K a year for 4 years... you've spent $240K and you get like a education degree and a job making $25K.... Your in a hell of a hole ...
But if you could get the same education degree at a different college that cost like $10K a year and go for 4 years... it just $40K...And you have the same degree that is going to get you that same $25K job, your be able to pay a loan back easier and fast.

So in the end if you price school you can go cheaper but still have a good job education, and might not have to get a loan or you might just need a smaller loan.

I was interviewed this past week for a recruitment video by the local vocational school I went to, the guy asked me if I had any advice for the kids trying to get into college, I said yeah, you don't have to go :****:

Re: Re:

TacomaJD said:
You are still young enough to do whatever you want, go learn a trade if that's really what you want to do. :****:

Just saw this. I'll be 30 in November, have a mortgage and all that ****. I can't take a huge risk like that. Plus my job now is alright. just took me 12 years of job bouncing and sweating my balls off driving forklifts to get here.

BIG_Country said:
Yep, this is the new face of TN...just give the kiddos free college.

The reason they did this is because, the lottery money in TN. is dedicated 100% to education, Not enough people were using the scholarship money and they ended up with a big surplus. I do not have a problem with it, I do not play the lottery so it does not cost me a dime.

Back when I got the lottery scholarship if you dropped below a 3.0 you lost it for good. I know a LOT of people that lost it the first year.

Now you have options to re apply after losing it also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fill out a FAFSA and apply through the school. Odds are she will get some scholarship and/or grant money. The grant/scholarship money gets automatically accepted and she can choose whether or not to accept the loans. I just did this at UA, but I'll be a senior, wish I would have done it way earlier. My younger sister's are going to be doing this.

Dwill817 said:
I feel like the only way to make big bucks with a trade is to own your own business :dunno:

This right here. If I had it to do over again, I would have got a degree in business something or another, then learned a trade, then openend a business with everything I knew about the trade and running a business, instead of opening a business and having to learn all the **** that goes along with it. Go to college with the intent of being your own boss and I think it will get you further.

Re: Re: Re:

jeeptj99 said:
Just saw this. I'll be 30 in November, have a mortgage and all that ****. I can't take a huge risk like that. Plus my job now is alright. just took me 12 years of job bouncing and sweating my balls off driving forklifts to get here.
Learn it in your free time. I have 2 mortgages, 2 rental properties to manage, wife and stepson, and I am in school. You have more free time than you think. Don't know about where you are, but our local community college has degrees and certificates in welding, industrial electronics, electrician studies, etc. A friend of mine got a 2 yr degree in Industrial Electronics and works maintenance where I work, making over $60k/yr.

TacomaJD said:
Learn it in your free time. I have 2 mortgages, 2 rental properties to manage, wife and stepson, and I am in school. You have more free time than you think. Don't know about where you are, but our local community college has degrees and certificates in welding, industrial electronics, electrician studies, etc. A friend of mine got a 2 yr degree in Industrial Electronics and works maintenance where I work, making over $60k/yr.

Industrial electronics/controls is a good field. Work maintenance for several years to learn about it in the field, then look for jobs at a machine builder/integrator so you get to build new stuff from scratch 90% of the time.

Helps to have a good mechanical mind too, because the operators and the lazy maintenance guys will always blame the problems on the programming or electronic controls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well talked with her Momma some more. She is going to co sign this year, and I will cosign next year. Daughter still deciding to go hella in debt. You cant tell them anything. Here we go 1/3rds in crazy debt :****: She starts / moves next month :-\

When I went to college I was a collegiate athlete and this left me with little to no free time to have a job. I am 31 years old now and hope to pay off my student loans this year. I was told from day one it was my debt but all i saw was I want to swim in college and I got the best scholarship from my school. There has been many many times I have looked back and been like man I wish i wouldn't have done that but the more i think about it the skills i learned from time management involved with being a college athlete and maintaining 17+ hours a semester has helped me big time in the real world.

I don't regret the debit one bit because I had a heck of time in college and also learned who I was.

I know when my child goes to school it will be on him. I will do the same my parents did and help him with some of his loan after he graduates, but I will not tell him this till after. I had to many friends take victory laps 5 and 6 years because they didn't have the loom of debit over there head.

P said:
Well talked with her Momma some more. She is going to co sign this year, and I will cosign next year. Daughter still deciding to go hella in debt. You cant tell them anything. Here we go 1/3rds in crazy debt :****: She starts / moves next month :-\

Still waiting on pics of daughter..... :woody:

I don't remember if you said which school she wants to go off to, but several of the bigger universities around here have smaller colleges or community colleges close by. I think Someone already mentioned the alternative of going to one of them for a year or two. This can be done while living off at/around the big/ main university but for a fraction of the cost for tuition. This can save everyone big $. I know Georgia , Bama and Auburn all have these smaller schools right down the road. Another thing to keep in mind: when you get your degree, it only says what school you graduated from, not where all you transferred credits in from. thumb.gif

I've got a question as well on student loans for those of you who have done them before. Recently got married May 20th of this year and the wife is in CRNA school. She changed her name on school stuff and her loan has came through yet for this semester. Can anyone explain to me how this will work now that were married? Will it be based off my income as well? Or will my income/assests effect her loan status? I'm trying to gain understanding on this as I have never had a student loan before.