• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

emergency propane

I haven't had a problem (yet). But I'll have to double check, but I think the BBQ bottle used the same (external thread) fitting as the Forklift tank.

So you *should* be able to screw on the BBQ tank, turn it upside down (to get liquid) then take it easy as to not freeze the valve.

If you need to make an adapter hose a local Propane or Forklift supply should be able to help you. Or try e-bay.

I've been curious to find out how long a portable "Coleman" tank would last. Easier to stash a couple of those around the rig and make a "port" on the dash or something to be able to limp out.

I haven't had a problem (yet). But I'll have to double check, but I think the BBQ bottle used the same (external thread) fitting as the Forklift tank.

So you *should* be able to screw on the BBQ tank, turn it upside down (to get liquid) then take it easy as to not freeze the valve.

If you need to make an adapter hose a local Propane or Forklift supply should be able to help you. Or try e-bay.

I've been curious to find out how long a portable "Coleman" tank would last. Easier to stash a couple of those around the rig and make a "port" on the dash or something to be able to limp out.

My bbq tank wont hook up to the hose for my forklift tanks... I already checked it out...

I've been thinking about installing a valve and having two hoses with different hook ups on each...

I forget where I saw it, but there is an adapter to run the little green tanks... Some buggy guys back east run them in comps to save weight...

I made my BBQ bottle adapter with a fitting I stole from an old busted acetylene regulator and a double female coupler. If I ever run out of propane on the trail I can simply remove the fork lift tank adapter leaving me a male end to screw into the other end of the double female coupler. The fitting for the BBQ tank is left hand thread and is known as a CGA 510. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've got a 10 gallon tank running my V-6, and I get about 10 hrs. of wheeling.

Never figured the mpg for sure. Maybe 10 mpg highway?

That's pretty good...

I might be getting a little over 5 hrs on my 8 gallon tank with a 350... I carry two 8 gallon tanks...

Still need to tweak it a bit... Might get a little more time out of each tank...

Just wanna clarify that I never have tried a 16.4 oz. tank, I was just doing some wild ass guessing on how long one might go. I did a little math to get the figure, but math isn't my strong point.

Hijack!

Anyone have pane parts laying around? I need to fuel a v-8 but im bropke as hell, Maybee trade for something er other???

You may get lucky on craigslist. When I was hunting down parts for my swap there were a few listings on CL but all were for 4 bbl apps. Some people are very proud of their used junk but I also saw some complete setups go for about 75-150 bucks. PM me if you want to know where to get the propane stuff cheap.

Hijack!

Anyone have pane parts laying around? I need to fuel a v-8 but im bropke as hell, Maybee trade for something er other???

do you have an 'xplorer intake or Cobra you'd like to sell if your swithchin to propane? Can't remeber if the 94 fits a 90:looser: Let me know....got cash and it could help fund your swap to 'pane:awesomework:

Also.....not sure this helps anyone but I'm tossing my old BBQ....all the fittings/hoses are in good shape....free.

Ive used the bbq tank as a gas can before.I just went down to the local hose outfit and tols what I wanted and they built me an adapter hose to do this.

Like said ealier you just hold the bbq upside down to get the liquid out of it.When refilling my 10 gal tank,I can only get it to take about 2 gallons before the pressures equal out and it wont exept anymore.So I just run it dry again,and get a second 2 gallons in it and that about all you get out of them.

I also rigged up the 16 ounce bottle hehe just to try it out.I dont how long it will last but I could only get vapor out of it.It would run the rig (2.3l ford engine) but made no power I think I was able to get about 1,000 rpm out of it.NOt sure if it would make up a hill but it would chug along down the flat road.

another trick:I paint the bottom side of the tank black.Ive run out of pane before and removed the tank(this only works on sunny days) but just set the tank on the ground and pointed the black side toward the sun let it set for about 40 minutes and was getting pretty hot,it boost ed the pressure in the tank and fired up the rig...again not alot of power but I was able to drive the rig home the other say 4-5 miles I needed to go.

HOpe that helps ya out.:beer: