• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Emmissions failure

Jeepless

Sleep deprived and proud
My 02 Dodge failed the snap test this weekend. I didn't drive it more than the 20 minutes to the test location. Before I run it down to a shop and spend money to get it to pass, thought I would hit the internet for suggestions. Never had an issue with the testing before, truck has been sitting a lot the last year, curious if that is the root cause.

Do I run hot laps for an hour up and down I5 and retest?????

It:mad: was 5% over.

Easy answer: Biodiesel

All the snap test does is look for exhaust opacity (how black it is). Throw a tank of B20 in there, drive around a bit and you should pass no problem.

Thanks Guys, I thought this was the answer just wanted some other input.

Hot laps it is!:redneck:

Is the truck stock?

The biggest key in the snap test is repetition, getting the same RPM, etc. each time. I've also cheated with diesels by putting a small block of wood under the gas pedal so it doesn't go down all the way but the same throttle input is easily repeated for the test.

J

Is the truck stock?

The biggest key in the snap test is repetition, getting the same RPM, etc. each time. I've also cheated with diesels by putting a small block of wood under the gas pedal so it doesn't go down all the way but the same throttle input is easily repeated for the test.

J

Lol, awesome

Is the truck stock?

J

Not stock, larger injectors and turbo.

Now that you mention this I did not snap consistently. I will have to do a better job of that.
Is there an RPM that is best to snap to?

They always told me to floor it and hit redline. Nice and easy up to about 2300. Then nice and easy off. Didn't care if they complained about it or not. They still passed me. Once I had too much fuel. It was a 12 valve and easily fixed in the parking lot. 5% is minimal, just running it a little warmer should get you to pass. If not, find someone with a SMARTY to Borrow.

Before it starts smoking. :fawkdancesmiley:
LOL.. That was my goal last time. :)

They always told me to floor it and hit redline. Nice and easy up to about 2300. Then nice and easy off. Didn't care if they complained about it or not. They still passed me. Once I had too much fuel. It was a 12 valve and easily fixed in the parking lot. 5% is minimal, just running it a little warmer should get you to pass. If not, find someone with a SMARTY to Borrow.

I pretty sure this guy would have called me out at 2300 he get doing this thing with is hand motioning to push the pedal and let it go.May stay around 2600 this round. Tried to stay between 2800 and 3000 last time but didn't feel it was warm enough, once I left the emissions station, truck was warm.:mad:

I pretty sure this guy would have called me out at 2300 he get doing this thing with is hand motioning to push the pedal and let it go.May stay around 2600 this round. Tried to stay between 2800 and 3000 last time but didn't feel it was warm enough, once I left the emissions station, truck was warm.:mad:
They've called me out on it. But I didn't care, just kept doing the same. A friend of mine told them he wouldn't floor it because he didn't drive his truck that way and wasn't going to start doing it for them. They passed him as well. He had plenty of fuel and twins :D

Two things I learned. One my truck fully warmed up the has an Opacity level on three snaps @ 2500 RPM of 12.2%, cold its 35.1%. Guy rolled his eyes as I leisurely took it to the chosen RPM level. :cool:

It passed on the second run through after a 30 minute hotrod session on the 405.:awesomework:

Two: Emissions has dropped the "Opacity Limit", at least in my experience. I viewed all my tests over the last 6 years (4 - 3 pass, and the one fail.) First year 2011 limit was 40%, 2013 40%, 2015 30%(if it was still at 40% I would have passed the first go of it.):looser:

glad it passed, my other sugestion to make up for 5-10 % is simply pull the airfilter out for the test.
the other fun thing is to go thru a different lane at the test station and see how diferent it is...
ive see trucks that you couldnt get to even haze fail at the marysville station because of how rarely they clean the sensor....

I took through a '03 F450 7.3 with bad injectors and a dusted turbo that smoked the whole building out. It passed no problem.:masturbanana[1]: I think their computer just has a pass fail button that they press depending on their mood.