• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cage failures

From what ive seen alot of these cage failures are breaking and tearing right after the weld. Billy bobs sells those nice little lazor cut gussets. From the looks of things these gussets would help keep the joint nice and ridged. I know they dont fit in every corner but if you take some steel and cut out triangles to fit in all the jointed areas and weld them up would you guys think that would help out alot or is it just a waste of time. Those lazor cut gussets at billy bobs are only 4 bucks a peice. I put them all over the place whene i build crossmembers,bumpers,any kind of tube work they look nice and seem to help with strength.

OMG 4 bux a piece :rb:

I've been told not to wear belts so I can jump out as I go over the cliff. :looser:

Thats my philosophy, id rather just jump out than go for a nice drive and 20 tumbles later. I never wear a seatbelt when i go wheelin :fawkdancesmiley:

Y Sure you can band aid this and plate that until your head explodes but why bother when every other popular rig out there has a frame to build off of?

I'd rather throw time and energy at someting a little different than take the easy route and be sheeple like you:flipoff: Although nowadays
xj's are all over......9-10 years ago not so much

most accidents happen when not wheeling per say, we built all this flex and unstability at speed into our rigs and they become very safe at slow speeds, but not so at higher speeds, what about when you have to take evasive action on the road to your wheeling destination. that is where violent crashes and multiple rollovers happen as you are ran off the road at speed. do you want to survive that also? i do. so i build my **** accordingly. of all the wheelers that have been seriously hurt the rollover happened on the forest service road or when least expecting it. IMHO

build it for the unexpected roll.:awesomework:

Are you going to be driving your Jeep or your Buggy down I-5 to Johnson Valley, or even Highway 2 to Reiter? No I don't think so, so are you going to build a cage in your Tow Rig to keep you safe?

Annabanana's roll over on Woods Creek Road in Monroe is a good exmple of what your saying, but having a good cage on her Jeep did not help when the problem was the tow rig and that is where she was at at the time of said occurance.

There are times that I put on tons of highway miles for different events but thats not why I have a cage. I think the cages need to be built for something more than a flop. Have you wheeled Rimrock? That isn't a place where you want to scrimp on your cage.

Are you going to be driving your Jeep or your Buggy down I-5 to Johnson Valley, or even Highway 2 to Reiter? No I don't think so, so are you going to build a cage in your Tow Rig to keep you safe?

Annabanana's roll over on Woods Creek Road in Monroe is a good exmple of what your saying, but having a good cage on her Jeep did not help when the problem was the tow rig and that is where she was at at the time of said occurance.

But--alot of folks do.... But IMO comparing road crash's to wheeling crashes are 2 seperate deals. Each one has its own characteristics.

i have driven on both hiways mentioned hundreds of times in my jeep. i do drive it to and from trail heads and on forest service roads that would result in many rolls. my rig is not safe at speeds neither is yours. seems to me you flopped on an offramp, were you planning on that?

my point is the worst roll you will see is not the one you are expecting.

ohh and i drive a suburban which just happens to be one of the safest on the road.:fawkdancesmiley:

i also preach that the cage should be the VERY first mod done to your rig, before tires, lockers etc but nobody ever listens to me so im used to that.:haha:

All this talk got me thinkin about the quality of the cage in my junk.... Hey Mike, while its still there, please check it out and modify as needed to be safe.

Thanks, Bill

i have driven on both hiways mentioned hundreds of times in my jeep. i do drive it to and from trail heads and on forest service roads that would result in many rolls. my rig is not safe at speeds neither is yours. seems to me you flopped on an offramp, were you planning on that?

my point is the worst roll you will see is not the one you are expecting.

ohh and i drive a suburban which just happens to be one of the safest on the road.:fawkdancesmiley:

i also preach that the cage should be the VERY first mod done to your rig, before tires, lockers etc but nobody ever listens to me so im used to that.:haha:

Yup, and that is why I plan to trailer my Zj to and from Trials as soon as I can. I flopped it driving less them 30 miles per hour going from 12 inches of snow to 3 feet of snow turning into the off ramp on I-90 at the Summit, but I will not compare that to wheeling and I have a bit more experence now.

Also you know I listen to you, I just don't do EVERYTHING you say, but believe me I listen and listen well, so keep talking! :awesomework:

I don't listen to anyone.:flipoff: I would add though that prety much all of my flops and rolls I saw them comming. Rarely does it catch me by suprise.

does anybody have some pictures of good and bad cages, that we can critique, and why they are good and bad.
This would be hightly educational.

does anybody have some pictures of good and bad cages, that we can critique, and why they are good and bad.
This would be hightly educational.

Thats easy, no need to look further than the first page or two in "the garage" right here on nww. Most cages (especially exo's on yota's) are have a weak structure due to there being more consideration given to looking good and it being easy to build vs. a strong braced structure. Literally throwing another 50' at a shitty cage won't do much but add weight. DOM or poop, both will fold like pvc if the structure is junk.

I'm definately not saying I have the best out there, far from it. I rarely pull out the tape measure and I leave the level stuck to my tool box. BUT what I have done was well thought out and I took the time to research what would be strong and how to do it.

Very few wheeling cages will survive highway speed rollovers, they are not made for that. I rolled my cj7 in Mickeys hot tub in Moab and the roll cage never touched. :haha:

4 dallor :rb: gussetts is your answer. So what if you get them cheaper who gives a rats ass the question was how much do they add to the overall strength of a cage. :looser::rolleyes: