• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

evans creek issues

If a Jeep is 80" wide and has a Warn full floating rear axle kit where the hubs stick out is it legal? .

This width is measured from the outside of tire to outside of tire at its widest point.

Seems like it was made fairly clear :eeek:.

How about the same situation with non Jeep vehicles? Seems like someone is in bed with someone on the "a compromise to accommodate some of the newer manufactured jeeps"

Hmmmmm.......................

Anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

There is probably going to be a tire size restriction too. 37s? Or should it be 33s like they had in 1979 :rolleyes:

The trails were originally made by users with these very rigs. When I first started going to Evans, 10+ years ago, it took work to get my Toyota through most of the trails with out damage. These days you can take a full size through most of the system with out much trouble, minus the holes someone made. Heck I can probably get my bone stock Cherokee through with out damage.

Can you really blamn the FS for managing the lands? Is has been made fairly clear that, try as we might, the responsible users can't keep the irresponsible users from damaging the system.

Additionaly, why not build your rig to meet the trails not the trails to meet the rig? If you really want to go crazy with your rig there are plenty of places to take it.

If you really want to go crazy with your rig there are plenty of places to take it.

Like where? Tahuya, Elbe, Walker, Naches............ what is that about 5 miles of challenging trails, 40 miles of roads? I got some 30" street tires that will be fun on the trails.
:redneck:

All BS aside, the VAST majority of users at Evans will not be effected by the width restrictions (assuming they go to 78-80"). I usually hit Evans 5-6 times a year and rarely run into anything larger. Most of the people that hit Evans frequently built their rigs with the intent to run that area so they're fairly narrow. As people here are saying, obviously some go there, but not big numbers. I'm not a fan of the seasonal closures but it's better than a year-round closure.

I not buying that Evans will turn into a another Reiter. Reiter was almost completely user built and while the trails at Evans have changed over the years, nothing is nearly as changed as Reiter.

All BS aside, the VAST majority of users at Evans will not be effected by the width restrictions (assuming they go to 78-80"). I usually hit Evans 5-6 times a year and rarely run into anything larger. Most of the people that hit Evans frequently built their rigs with the intent to run that area so they're fairly narrow. As people here are saying, obviously some go there, but not big numbers. I'm not a fan of the seasonal closures but it's better than a year-round closure.

I not buying that Evans will turn into a another Reiter. Reiter was almost completely user built and while the trails at Evans have changed over the years, nothing is nearly as changed as Reiter.

I have to disagree with you here. Various polls over the internet over the past year or so put the AVERAGE width at 80-81" I realize this is not an on the ground study of actual users at Evan's Creek. But understand that even if it goes to 80" that's still going to restrict 50% of the users.

I find it very telling (Per Tony's letter back from the USFS) that adjustments in size are being considered to accomodate newer built JEEPS. I think that statement right there speaks volumes.:looser:

Polls over the internet where? Here or nationwide?

Here. They've been done on multiple local forums. Jaydog took all the polls and combined them to get the 80-81" AVERAGE.

Understandbly, this is not a scientific poll.

Obviously I can't argue with honest stats but those aren't the dimensions I see on the trails. Without question, the most numerous rigs on the trails in WA are TJs, YJs, CJs and Cherocars. I'd be willing to bet that 90+ % of these rigs are running stock width (or close) axles. Even with crummy wheels, few of those would be over 80" wide.

Obviously I can't argue with honest stats but those aren't the dimensions I see on the trails. Without question, the most numerous rigs on the trails in WA are TJs, YJs, CJs and Cherocars. I'd be willing to bet that 90+ % of these rigs are running stock width (or close) axles. Even with crummy wheels, few of those would be over 80" wide.

I beg to differ. Maybe with the crew you run with.
Without question Huh?

What about the non Jeep vehicles? I guess you and the USFS couldn't care less.

I agree with dale---most guys I see are easily over the 72" width--I would bet to guess many are in the 76-77" range.

I agree with dale---most guys I see are easily over the 72" width--I would bet to guess many are in the 76-77" range.

I agree that most are over 72"...but not over 80".

I stand by my 'Without question' comment. Do you really think that some other type of rig outnumbers the Jeeps I mentioned???

I stand by my 'Without question' comment. Do you really think that some other type of rig outnumbers the Jeeps I mentioned???

So because Jeeps are popular at Evans, no other vehicles are allowed? :eeek:

Thats a hard call because I do see ALLOT of toys/tubular rigs out there now and they are getting close to matching the narrow jeep numbers.

You are a jeeper. You only see jeeps in the woods.

See Im a toyota guy, I only see toyotas in the woods.

Scout guys only see scouts in the woods.:kissmyass:

I go wheeling alot at Elbe and Evans. Not 5-6 times a year, sometimes 5-6 times a month. I see every kinda rig there is in lots of numbers.

I do notice a trend tho, when we see the jeeps they are on the easy trails and gravel roads.

The cherokees and toyotas are the ones I see most of the time IN the woods, not driving around on gravel roads.

I beg to differ. Maybe with the crew you run with.
Without question Huh?

You cannot run Evans without also seeing other groups there. Of the groups I regularly see there, seldom do I see wide rigs. Typically, they're CJs, YJs & TJs. Occassionally, it's a group of Samis or a group of Cherokees. Every now and then, it's BroncoIIs. It's really seldom do I see anything approaching full size on any of the trails (except the logging roads, and those are typically driven by youths)

What about the non Jeep vehicles? I guess you and the USFS couldn't care less.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.

You misread. Dales' contention is that many are over 80"

And many may be over 80, but that group I seldom see at Evans currently. Granted, I only run Evans a few times a years. But I have been going there for 20 years.