• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Excursions - Powerstroke

What exactly is the issue with these gassers spark plugs? Aluminum heads have been around forever with little/ no issues.....Is there something about the specific plug specd for these?....If that's the biggest issue it has then there's no real issue.

What exactly is the issue with these gassers spark plugs? Aluminum heads have been around forever with little/ no issues.....Is there something about the specific plug specd for these?....If that's the biggest issue it has then there's no real issue.

Its a combination of things, one of the biggest being a bad design from Ford. There are only a couple of threads holding the plug in. Combine that with a tendency for people to over-torque and you've got problems. And it may also be a plug design issue, as they are very specific in stating to only use motorcraft plugs.

Later heads had the casting changed to include more meat around the plug threads, so even ford finally recognized the issue, but they never warrantied or recalled the original problem. Just blamed it on bad maintenance and improper procedure (aka, customers fault!).

The fact that there is an entire niche market, just around changing these plugs, with their own special tools and procedures, means its not just a random occurrence.

As for the factory transmission cooler, you are correct, it is not enough. There are 3 or 4 sizes of cooler from the factory.

The 7.3 came with the smallest cooler. Mounts between the A/C condensor and the intercooler.

The v-10 trucks came with a larger cooler, and its a direct retrofit to the 7.3

The 6.0 came out with a MASSIVE cooler (two designs I want to say, both huge), and is a direct bolt in to the earlier models, but they changed the location and size of the cooler lines. They went from 3/8 to 1/2 hose. Get some adapters and a couple feet of 1/2" hose and its an easy conversion. My experience has been that the 6.0 cooler works better than any of the aftermarket coolers sold (trucool, etc etc). I dont know if thats because of the factory location of the 6.0 cooler, its size, or its design, but its just cools better. We've replaced aftermarket coolers and put 6.0 coolers in and had the trans run cooler. Not scientific, just experience.

I run a 6.0 cooler on my truck, and even in the hottest summer sun (we get that here in WA once in awhile!), towing, I cant get the temp to break 180*. 60 to 90 degrees over ambient temp is what the trans is supposed to run at. Depending on computer code, the torque converter will not lockup until the trans/eng has some heat to it. The unlocked TC helps make some heat faster on cold days.

Its a combination of things, one of the biggest being a bad design from Ford. There are only a couple of threads holding the plug in. Combine that with a tendency for people to over-torque and you've got problems. And it may also be a plug design issue, as they are very specific in stating to only use motorcraft plugs.

Later heads had the casting changed to include more meat around the plug threads, so even ford finally recognized the issue, but they never warrantied or recalled the original problem. Just blamed it on bad maintenance and improper procedure (aka, customers fault!).

The fact that there is an entire niche market, just around changing these plugs, with their own special tools and procedures, means its not just a random occurrence..

On the first gen (2valve heads), there are are a total of 4 threads holding the plug in---Yes, over-torqueing can be an issue, but not as bad as under-torqueing; the plug loosens up and vibrates around, beating the threads to their death, ultimately the plug ends up blowing out....requiring thread repair. These plugs were not a 2 piece design as stated earlier...The plug itself is almost never at fault in these... And it's not a niche market---anybody can buy a version of the repair kit for these...some work better than others though...And no, Ford has not come up with a better design; a replacement cylinder head will STILL only have 4 threads holding in the plug...
The later 3V heads got more meat around the threads of the plug, BUT these are the 2 piece plug design that almost always leave the lower portion in the head...The reason??? The lower section of the plug is in a chamber that has little clearance, carbon packs in around the plug bottom, and when you try to screw it out, the carbon locks the lower half into the head, ultimately separating the plug right at the base of the thread...Ford's latest plug design is STILL 2 piece...The ONLY manufacturer I have found to have a 1 piece design is CHAMPION, and their lower section is slightly smaller than motorcraft's leaving a little more distance between the plug and the bore.... and I have run them in the 3v heads with no issues...

Last edited:
a replacement cylinder head will STILL only have 4 threads holding in the plug...
The later 3V heads got more meat around the threads of the plug, BUT these are the 2 piece plug design that almost always leave the lower portion in the head...

I deal with diesels, I just go off what the v-10 guys have told me when working on their trucks. I was told the early motors had 3 to 4 threads, and ford recast it with a "long thread" model that had about double the threads, and that the two piece plugs are a pain in the ass, and pretty much all of them wished they had bought the diesel.

I own an 01 excursion lmtd with the 7.3l. I bought it from my grandparents who used to drive it cross country for work. They pretty much never towed anything and I bought it with 110k on it. I love it!! I've put around 30k on it since I bought it. I tow a 26ft toy hauler that weighs 10000lbs empty. I prolly tow it once a month in the summer and have made several trips from tacoma to mosses lake or down to sand lakes in Oregon. Never had an issue with it and I have a heavy foot. During the week my wife drives the kids around in it. I installed a s&b stage 2 intake and a 4" turbo back exhaust straight pipe. We get around 17mpgs in town and 11mpg towing the trailer. I want to put a tuner in it but not till I have the cash put aside to upgrade the trans. My understanding is if you leave it pretty much stock you'll never have a problem. It's not fast but it will get you and your stuff there. Expect to pay a pretty penny for one though it's like their made of gold.

Well the Excursions going to run you 14+. Get a Durango or Grand Cherokee for 5k and have our dear ole Canadian buddy up at Peak Diesel to drop a 4bt in it for the remainder (or less). Then she gets her smaller SUV and you get your diesel with plenty of power and 30 mpg :cheer:.

Donimator bought a very nice 7.3 excursion for his wife about a year ago and loves it ... He may be able to give you some info

We are almost home from Vegas in Dons 7.3. This thing is impressive, would love one myself but hard to find especially in this condition. I'm sure he could give you some opinions Nick.

What happened to the Tahoe idea Nick? Getting rid of the Chebby?

The wife really likes the Tahoe better and she's going to be driving whatever we get. While checking rigs out we saw a couple diesel Excursions and it got me thinking. The Silverado wont be going anywhere, gotta have something with a bed for summer chores, plus its paid for.

But getting a diesel "Ex" would allow the truck to be retired from most towing duties which would be nice since it gets 8 mpg towing the buggy, and closer to 6 or 7 with the 4Runner.

Whatever we get will not be coming from Northwest MotorSports. Talked to them briefly and realized the game they are playing. :kissmybutt: We will most likely buy something down in Oregon since we have family down their that does autosales and can get wholesale deals.

Fixed it for ya...

Nice looking rig. 18 mpg! WOW!

fixed it for you too! hahahaha

http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/2936968283.html

When I had no lift kit, and skinnier 235/85/16 tires at full air pressure, I could get 18 mpg out of my 2000 crewcab. That was hand calculated too. The overhead computers are hardly ever accurate on these rigs.

19k is too much tho, It will prolly sell in the 14k to 16k range. Unless diesel keeps climbing, and then he wont be able to give it away.

I got 16-18 mpg out of my chipped 1996 powerstroke. I could get 21 if I stayed at 55-60 mph, but I only do that on 2 lane roads...