Fat or Skinny rings on my TrailReadys?

• wide/dull finish next wednesday

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • slim/polished finish today

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

dr drae

So here's the VM I get today...

Hey Aaron, this is Heather from TrailReady, got some good news and some bad news. Good news is your rims are FINALLY back from the anodizer, sorry they took so long. Bad news is we ran out of the wide rock rings yesterday. You can pick up your wheels today if you want to go with the slim polished finish rings. I know that you originally ordered them with the thick dull finish rings though, we'll have those back in stock next wednesday.

If this rig is going to spend any time on the street, you should take this opportunity to also install RADs. They're cheap and will make airing down from street pressure to wheelin' pressure a breeze.

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12474

edit, and for what it's worth, I voted for skinny, not because they'd be done today, but because trail rigs around here see too much muddy, dirty, environment. That translates into dirt inside the wheel if you have the fat beadlocks. And it becomes progressively more difficult to get the shmutz out of the wheel, so that it'll kinda ballance when your cruising around at 60mph

Last edited:
It's feast or famine it seems...:rolleyes:

Youre wheels are sitting in shipping and not a 15" rockring
(brushed) in the house.It's possible we might have rings as soon as Tomarrow(Friday) but for sure next Wed. We'll call as soon as they're ready!!

Even with considerable planning and allowing for lead times we're still at the MERCY of our suppliers

(brushed) in the house.It's possible we might have rings as soon as Tomarrow(Friday) but for sure next Wed. We'll call as soon as they're ready!!

Even with considerable planning and allowing for lead times we're still at the MERCY of our suppliers

:awesomework: :awesomework:

with excelent service on top of that :awesomework:

huh, had no clue someone from TR was on this board...

So Jeff, what are guys going with and what's the logic either way? It seems the arguement is skinny for ease of cleaning/minimize debris build up that might affect wheel balance w/street driving vs fat to better protect the big ass warn hubs that'll be sticking out the center...

You aren't anywhere near being READY for the wheels... I'd just wait and get the ones you wanted :)

oh and I'm ready, I need a chiropractor for myself trying to move these axles around, would be SO much nicer to roll them around :cool:

So Jeff, what are guys going with and what's the logic either way? It seems the arguement is skinny for ease of cleaning/minimize debris build up that might affect wheel balance w/street driving vs fat to better protect the big ass warn hubs that'll be sticking out the center...

I feel it boils down to personal preferance.

My last two sets of TR beadlocks had Rockrings.

Yes...stuff would get "trapped" in there from time to time but it never was an issue.If I felt a corner was a little "lumpy" I'd stop and remove said junk and continue on my way. I did feel that the Rockring protected the valve stem a little better as well as deflect roots and other pokey items.\

That being said........my latest set of wheels(18x9.5,8 lug Chambers dual beadlock) are clad in slim rings mostly for asthetic reasons.The rim is a teflon coated center and I went with gloss black rings.It'll look sweet till I destroy the ring finish on the first run:redneck:

Either way....youre wheels are gonna rock!! Get what YOU REALLY WANT REGUARDLESS ON HOW LONG THE WAIT IS!:beer:

as a side note...I built Jobless a custom set of H2's a year ago and he is running slims and has yet to have a valve stem issue and he wheels a "little bit"

I'm not Jeff, but I think you hit it right on the head. The 'rockcrawlin'-buggy-drivin'-I've-got-neat-4x4 owners tend to like the larger rings just because they look cool. The shiny-rig-pretty-paint-I-don't-ever-wheel-this-rig like the slim rings just because they're polished. I've come to the conclusion people tend to pick the ring because of which group they'll get lumped into. The Wheelers -v- The Showrigs. But reality in my mind says that both rings do a fine job.

The more and more I see thin ring's, the more they grow on me, I have kind of grown to think that the fat ring's are kinda ugly. Just remember that at anytime if you decide you want different ring's (thick or thin) you can buy them. One positive thing about the thick ring's is that once they get super rashed up, you can take a sanding disk and sand them down and they look brand new again minus the real deep gouges.

Just remember that at anytime if you decide you want different ring's (thick or thin) you can buy them.

Good point. Maybe I'll plan to pick them up next week and look at both and see which one I prefer. Wonder how much a set of just the rings costs?

I voted for the narrow rings. The wide rings were PITA to air down. They were even worse to air up as you had to remove all the Washington spooge to find a valve stem.

The wide rings are a perfect choice for the real rock wheeler but can have a drawback even there. I saw a wheel in St. George that had a 3" rock stuck inside rattling around the wheel for a full course. The wheel didn't look purdy anymore.

I have kind of grown .

...................you quit growin 'bout 15 years ago!:flipoff:

Dr. Drizzae......youre wheels are ready with Rockrings and sitting in shipping for willcall.I'll be at the TR on Sat from prolly 10:00 am on so if you want to pick'em up that would be fine.

The more and more I see thin ring's, the more they grow on me, I have kind of grown to think that the fat ring's are kinda ugly. Just remember that at anytime if you decide you want different ring's (thick or thin) you can buy them. One positive thing about the thick ring's is that once they get super rashed up, you can take a sanding disk and sand them down and they look brand new again minus the real deep gouges.

i TRIED AND gave up----the anadizing is pretty deep. So how much weaker are the thin rings? I have bent 3/4 thick rings and couldn't image if they were any weaker...

All the rings are made out of .375 6061 T6 sheets from typically Alcoa or the like.Top Shelf ****!

Larry has prototype 5/16 rings on his ZJ with 3 years of stout wheelin and prolly 30k plus miles on 'em.All things bend,break and are vulnerable if enough force is applied.

All the rings are made out of .375 6061 T6 sheets from typically Alcoa or the like.Top Shelf ****!

Larry has prototype 5/16 rings on his ZJ with 3 years of stout wheelin and prolly 30k plus miles on 'em.All things bend,break and are vulnerable if enough force is applied.

Very true but if they are considerbly weaker then I would keep with the fattys :cool: Ya I am in need of new rings but then again thats 4 years of darn near wheelin every weekend so I certainly aint going to complain about that--well except 3/4 wheels are bent too :haha: :haha: :haha: damn weak steel :redneck:

Thats ok the next set will be alum's :awesomework: