• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fault code reader??

slidillon

Does anyone have a fault code reader for a Jeep TJ/4.0L??

I was driving home tonight and noticed my Check Engine light was on. All the gauges looked OK. When I got home several miles later, I shut it off and then tried to restart it. It turns over but it won't start. I haven't checked anything yet but thought I'd see if anyone had a reader. I figured since the light came on, it would probably give me a real good idea of what crapped out.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

P.S. I'm in Monroe

Last edited:
Does anyone have a fault code reader for a Jeep TJ/4.0L??

I was driving home tonight and noticed my Check Engine light was on. All the gauges looked OK. When I got home several miles later, I shut it off and then tried to restart it. It turns over but it won't start. I haven't checked anything yet but thought I'd see if anyone had a reader. I figured since the light came on, it would probably give me a real good idea of what crapped out.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

It might help if your "location" actually showed something useful

Have you tried the key on off on off on off?

That will display the codes on the digital odometer.

Three times? I tried it, maybe I went too fast, but all I got was mileage. I will give it another try. I have heard of doing that but wasn't sure if it really worked or was an urban legend kind of thing.

So....I tried the key thing and nothing. I read around on some other forums and the consensus seems to be that this doesn't work with newer TJ's:looser: I'll poke around this weekend and see if I can figure out whether I'm missing fuel or fire.

So after checking a few things I decided to buy a fault code reader. Turns out I have a bad Cam Position Sensor. I managed to get it started but I won't be able to get a new one until Wednesday.

I now have a fault code reader. If anyone in Monroe needs to read their fault codes, let me know. It runs off of beer, so.......:D

Latest posts