• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

First rig ever start from scratch or buy already built?

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
A buddy of mine and I were briefly discussing whether or not you should buy a ready built wheeler, or buy a stock rig and build your own.

The situation here is: it would be his first real vehcile ever, and he really wants to get into wheeling, and knows a little about what it takes, but has never really seen the grand scheme of things or has had to pay for his own upgrades before.

What do you think? Buy an already built locked f/r winch axles etc. OR Buy a bone stock rig and start from scratch?

Me, personally, knowing what I do now. I'd buy it built. You could still personalize it, but it would already have most of the major stuff done and you wouldn't have to worry about it as long as it was done right. The only downside to this theorem is, what happens when you break or you only have 3 wheel drive etc...

Anywho, built not bought or bought already built?

when building up your own rig you learn how to repair it out on the trail, but a built rig may not brake down...

I like the build almost as much as wheeling so I would go for the build your own.

i say build it. i had bought my s-10 when it was almost laying frame and getting high centered on everything(stock). there were a few mistakes i made in buying stuff along the way but i learned and have since been able to teach others not to make the same mistakes and also on my new project i've been able to avoid those mistakes and build an even crappier vehicle:haha:

Build, for two reasons:

There's nothing more pathetic than a noob driving a rig he has no concept how to operate on a trail. It's better to learn in a stock or mild rig and build it as you discover FOR YOURSELF what needs to be improved and WHY.

Building is fun and madly satisfying. There's nothing better than building something by yourself in your garage and then having it rip off the frame, er I mean work awesome the following weekend. When asked about some particular mod, it's always better to explain how you did it, why, and how, rather than shrugging and saying you bought it that way.

Yeah I guess you do learn.

I have also learned. I can rebuild an entire d-30 (including gears) in 5 hours that's in the shop to driving away. (Actually 4 because I kept taking breaks to watch the football game.)

Someday, I will get that time down to about 2. Either that or I will upgrade the front axle this winter.

Sadly, that's all I have learned.

I do think that you have to learn your vehicle, but if your vehicle happens to be a pre-built trail monster, what's wrong with that?

It's cheaper to buy one that is built, we all know we have way more money in our rigs than we can get for them, if money is no option then build it. As far as myself, I would rather build it myself, that way you have some pride in your rig, I would be a little ashamed to drive something someone else built, but that's just me.

Plain an simple (I am old school on this stuff). Start with a stock rig. Build it as you progress in your driving skillz. In the end both rig and driver typically are well done :;

I agree with Crash. I also agree with Jaydog and I agree with Boxboy. I'm in an agreeable mood I guess:D. But bottom line, if he's new into the hobby, then go Crash's way. Learning the limits of your ability on a rig that way out performs your capability is no way to learn how to wheel IMO.

I would build the rig from stock for a few reasons, get used to wheeling it in different stages, know everything on your rig, and most important know how to fix it. I just wish I would have started with a better vehicle :mad:, I just keep finding more problems with it the more I do to it...

Maybe buy a built rig and rebuild it differently using the parts that are on/in it...

When I started building mine (the first time) I didn't know what was good or not so I wasted money on a "lift kit" and stuff like that. It would have been nice to have friends to advise you that have been there :cool:

If you have a place to work on the rig and friends that can offer there honest opinion I say build. I do not know if your friend has allot of knowledge about how a rig goes together, but if they build it they sure as heck will find out. This will serve your friend well on the trail and in every day life.

I'm going the build it route just so i can learn more about how everything works, and goes together. i want to link the Scout from the beginning so i've been doing a lot of reading on that lately. just hard to do work on it in an apartment or trying to find time around brother's/friends schedules.

bulzeye said:
I'm going the build it route just so i can learn more about how everything works, and goes together. i want to link the Scout from the beginning so i've been doing a lot of reading on that lately. just hard to do work on it in an apartment or trying to find time around brother's/friends schedules.

I feel you dude. I am in the same way.

Luckily I have friends that have shops I can use to work on my Junk. Just a slow going process. Another good reason to buy a built rig.

Building a rig from scratch makes you smart enough to buy a built rig when yer older, slower , richer and lazier.

Bunk said:
Building a rig from scratch makes you smart enough to buy a built rig when yer older, slower , richer and lazier.

Totally agree...

Start with a good, solid, reliable base stocker rig, build from there and wheel it along the way. Learn what works and what doesn't. Learn how to operate the rig, what to do and what not to do. Learn how to fix it when it breaks.

When you're confident in your ability to hop behind the wheel of a rig someone else built, and do moderately well wheeling it, and you know what to do when it breaks, then you can go out and spend to your hard earned cash on a built rig or pay someone to build one for you the way you want.

Last edited:
crash said:
Plain an simple (I am old school on this stuff). Start with a stock rig. Build it as you progress in your driving skillz. In the end both rig and driver typically are well done :;
Thats exactly what im i nthe process of doing. Go wheeling till i find something thats stops/breaks me. Then upgrade to conquer it and slowly build my rig rom nothing. Ill knw how to fix it too.

How many times have you been stuck o nthe trail fixing SOMEONES ELSES RIG because they didnt have the part/know how. THink the guy buying the built rig will fall in this boat:;

Build.......Just like Crash said. You put a rookie in a buggy and he'll get hurt or worse. You have to evolve as a driver as your rig evolves to where you want it.

Exactl you learn what you did wrong when you broke (usually too much gas/bad line) and fix it next time with better equipment and a better driver. A rig is only as good as its weakest link and that includes the nut job behind the wheel!

Alpine4x4 said:
Thats exactly what im i nthe process of doing. Go wheeling till i find something thats stops/breaks me. Then upgrade to conquer it and slowly build my rig rom nothing. Ill knw how to fix it too.

How many times have you been stuck o nthe trail fixing SOMEONES ELSES RIG because they didnt have the part/know how. THink the guy buying the built rig will fall in this boat:;

Another aspect is how many of you can afford to jump right out and dump a **** load of money for GOOD parts? Not many...

As for fixing broken rigs on the trail---you don't wanna know :; But I will say really a small percent of the rigs I come across (and its alot) are guys that don't know how to fix it--its typically lacking the tools or parts to fix them...