• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

First rig ever start from scratch or buy already built?

I've gone both routes now, build up from stock, modify build up to more extreme build up, and now, figuring out what is right and wrong with an already built up rig, by some one else. Buying an already built up rig gets me out wheeling, but also I must experience the frustration of understanding how things are put together. Once I've done that then I can start building again, it's never ending isn't it?

I've broken in MANY noobs over the years and the advice is always the same.

Buy a stocker, throw on some 32" tires and a rear lunchbox so he can not get too frustrated and learn how to drive. Wheel it like that for. . .say. . .50 days on the trail and then just let things evolve. That is the way to create a wheeler. If you want to create a mechanic/fabricator, have him build it from scratch. If you want to create a poser that can't drive, have him buy it and think that the rig will do all of the work for him.

Bunk said:
Building a rig from scratch makes you smart enough to buy a built rig when yer older, slower , richer and lazier.

I must be there then...

If money is an issue, buy it from some other person that has dumped a bunch of money in it.

GaryTJ said:
I must be there then...

If money is an issue, buy it from some other person that has dumped a bunch of money in it.

Mines for sale for about 30% of the $$ I have into it. But I won't give it away either.

That is why I say buy it. Most rigs are sold for about 1/3 of money put into them.

It will take a learning curve, but you will still be money ahead to buy right the first time.

Damn right.....I still say build it for alotta reasons. I take pride in my turd..er um Jeep cos it truely is MINE!

Nice avatar Gary? friend of yours?

NotMatt said:
Totally agree...

Start with a good, solid, reliable base stocker rig, build from there and wheel it along the way. Learn what works and what doesn't. Learn how to operate the rig, what to do and what not to do. Learn how to fix it when it breaks.

When you're confident in your ability to hop behind the wheel of a rig someone else built, and do moderately well wheeling it, and you know what to do when it breaks, then you can go out and spend to your hard earned cash on a built rig or pay someone to build one for you the way you want.

Pretty much what I did...

I would have it no other way...

crash said:
Another aspect is how many of you can afford to jump right out and dump a **** load of money for GOOD parts? Not many...

As for fixing broken rigs on the trail---you don't wanna know :; But I will say really a small percent of the rigs I come across (and its alot) are guys that don't know how to fix it--its typically lacking the tools or parts to fix them...

Im 17 and i can afford the upkeep of my truck:flipoff:

Alpine4x4 said:
Only pussies have a trailer queen:flipoff:

I will remember that when I walk out of the nice warm camper in the morning after a nice good breakfast and ready to wheel :;

And ill remember it when you get stuck up in god knows where and freeze your ass off cuz your precious camper is back at base camp:flipoff:

Alpine4x4 said:
And ill remember it when you get stuck up in god knows where and freeze your ass off cuz your precious camper is back at base camp:flipoff:

You have no idea do ya :; link Every year spend the whole weekend in this--camp on 4ft of snow...:;

Where the hell do they sell a built rig? If you are talking about a buggy, they usually cost around $40,000, and I personally would never suggest a buggy, it is way more impressive to see a built Truck, Jeep or SUV, wheeling and doing things they weren't manufactured for in the first place. Call me old fashioned.

boxboy said:
when building up your own rig you learn how to repair it out on the trail, but a built rig may not brake down...

I like the build almost as much as wheeling so I would go for the build your own.

DITTO, also if you build you know what went into it and how it was done. If you buy a "pre" built rig you could end up with someone else's unfinished project, that could take longer to get right than if you did it yourself.

BUILD IT! And learn as you go. I'm on my third rig and still learning. I would suggest that you make sure the first rig choosen has a strong aftermarket following. You should probably learn to bolt on parts(and modify) before going all custom.

Another aspect that some people have touched on a bit is that when you buy an already built rig, most times you're taking on someone elses project, unless you really know what you're getting, you're probably in for a surprise or two along the way. The rig could appear to be pretty well built on the outside or at first glance, and after cash is exchanged and titles are signed, things start falling apart or the classic spaghetti plate wiring is uncovered or the r&p eats itself 100 feet down the road.

At least if my rig is a bootyfabb'ed POS, it's MY own bootyfabb'ed POS, not someone elses I have to scratch my head over and figure out.