• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

French Tickler buggy

Hey @neo,
Your buggy is the reason why mine exists. It was one of the main inspirations during the build.
Thats awesome, a friend of mine had tim build it for him, its been in my shop since it was built. After i got my sons buggy built i needed something to go wheeling with him so i bought it earlier this year, been trying to get some things lined out on it, gonna LS swap hopefully this winter. We'll have to meet up some time and do some wheeling and ill have to check yours out to get some ideas for future upgrades.

Thats awesome, a friend of mine had tim build it for him, its been in my shop since it was built. After i got my sons buggy built i needed something to go wheeling with him so i bought it earlier this year, been trying to get some things lined out on it, gonna LS swap hopefully this winter. We'll have to meet up some time and do some wheeling and ill have to check yours out to get some ideas for future upgrades.

Sweet buggies on the trailer. Want to start a build thread on the kiddo buggy?

Not been to Tackett before but seeing the amount of trash y'all picked up in a single day is awesome and also awful that it had to be done.

Yup, sad it had to be done, but glad it was.

Absolutely.

If you want to come down to KY, I'm sure we can organize a Hollerwood ride in oct/nov before it's too nasty to be out.

Depending on how my life is going this winter, mine is going under the knife. I'm hard on it and it starts to have a few too many bent / patched up things. I've got a bunch of upgrades/ideas in mind too.

Bent the light bar a few rides ago. Had to drive out of Tackett Creek with no light which was a lil sketch.

Removed it and swapped it for some pods. As much as I loved the big bar and the look it gave it, it also turned me into "that asshole" every time I'd turn it on and blind everybody around.

I'm hoping the pods will be more protected and the light output will be enough for what we do around here.

Everything is done with half decent wire and Deutsch connectors as usual.

DD12ACD8-59B5-485D-9E61-93C81D06C9CC.jpeg

6E82744F-E548-41B7-A552-9654FCC96321.jpeg

Sweet buggies on the trailer. Want to start a build thread on the kiddo buggy?
thanks, I have one on facebook , but i could do one here also if theres enough interest
Yup, sad it had to be done, but glad it was.

Absolutely.

If you want to come down to KY, I'm sure we can organize a Hollerwood ride in oct/nov before it's too nasty to be out.

Depending on how my life is going this winter, mine is going under the knife. I'm hard on it and it starts to have a few too many bent / patched up things. I've got a bunch of upgrades/ideas in mind too
the last two weekends of october wouldnt work for me, but just about any other weekend should be a go. we're about 5.5hrs away, let me know the details if you get one organized and i'll see if i can get some people to come down with me also.

Bent the light bar a few rides ago. Had to drive out of Tackett Creek with no light which was a lil sketch.

Removed it and swapped it for some pods. As much as I loved the big bar and the look it gave it, it also turned me into "that asshole" every time I'd turn it on and blind everybody around.

I'm hoping the pods will be more protected and the light output will be enough for what we do around here.

Everything is done with half decent wire and Deutsch connectors as usual.

View attachment 155334

View attachment 155335

Glad to see you have some working lights on the front of that thing prior to the Harlan trip. Can't imagine how much that would suck to come out of the trails at night without lights. Although Shannon got to experience that last year with my using my roof lights for his lights.

thanks, I have one on facebook , but i could do one here also if theres enough interest

the last two weekends of october wouldnt work for me, but just about any other weekend should be a go. we're about 5.5hrs away, let me know the details if you get one organized and i'll see if i can get some people to come down with me also.
I'd say there is more than enough interest for a thread over here too.

Replaced my P-Pump that died last ride with a new RD steering system (CB-X pump, filter and fancy resi). Moved the pump to pass side, way higher than previous setup. Everything is located the way it is in order for maintenance to be easy.

rd.jpg

I chopped the steps that were bent to **** and replaced them with a 4ft piece of solid rod to help distributing the impacts and hopefully let it slide better on the rocks. I also added a .188 wall kicker going to belly.

side.jpg

side2.jpg

side3.jpg

Went to Stony Lonesome for testing last weekend. Rode with Jake Burkey and the BK crew.
Didn't have to turn a wrench once. This rig impressed all day and made everything his biotch.
RD setup delivers ! (I'll write a more detailed report about that in the future). My face had a **** eating grin all the way back home.

shop.jpg

buggy.jpg

Got it done before end of May as I wanted. I'm ready for the ride I can't miss, next weekend at AOP. Friends graduation !

Next mods will be a few tubing changes, adding some lights for a night ride and a chase bar, and eventually I'll replace the rear axle that's on its last legs. After careful consideration, I will not be going rear steer. I've pondered biting the bullet and building a rear Fab10 axle with gearworks center-section, but can't justify the added cost. 14 bolts are so damn cheap and readily available, I'll go this route again.

Also, I ****ing love America !

merica.jpg

Glad to see you enjoying the rig again instead of collecting dust in the shop!

What kind of French NSFW stuff are you doing/having done to you by the blue buggy??

Went to AOP yesterday for a ride and celebrating the Graduation of my friend Abigail.

We had a blast and ran some hard ****.

Area51

Then right before loading up I decided today was the day to try Riot Hill. Got some pointers from Roger (@extremetownie) and was able to make it out the top.

After spanking the hill, feeling like I knew WTF I was doing, I decided I was a racecar driver. Then proceeded to Ultra4 my way into a tree. The ol' "click third and eat ****" like Burkey put it !

Managed to break both high steer arms at the same time. SMH.

4DF19058-356B-4BE0-9E55-35BCC0D83419.jpeg

7C260FA4-10BE-4355-B253-04BCE336D78B.jpeg

I also think I hurt the orbital in the process.

Good thing, the knuckles are completely fine and I was able to extract the bolts easily.

3013CAF8-2B24-4F8D-942A-2EC05339A702.jpeg

Time to reassess the situation and see what I will do about this. Multiple options are available, I just haven't decided which avenue I'll take.

Attachments

• A6D0B8BC-CD90-46D4-8062-04D78485A8B6.jpeg
    A6D0B8BC-CD90-46D4-8062-04D78485A8B6.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I like the idea of milling the factory knuckle flat and bolting on a steer arm vrs the expense of purchasing new knuckles. The factory knuckles are very strong. We just need a high steer solution.
I have noticed a couple of different versions of the style of steer arm you used.
Most use the rear of the arm to index the caliper mount.

Do any of the vendors machine the knuckle for a steer arm that uses a keyed section of the front side?
I would think adding a front keyed area (in red)
Screenshot 2022-05-23 073153.jpg
milled in with matching arm would be very strong.

I like the idea of milling the factory knuckle flat and bolting on a steer arm vrs the expense of purchasing new knuckles. The factory knuckles are very strong. We just need a high steer solution.
I have noticed a couple of different versions of the style of steer arm you used.
Most use the rear of the arm to index the caliper mount.

Do any of the vendors machine the knuckle for a steer arm that uses a keyed section of the front side?
I would think adding a front keyed area (in red) View attachment 206658milled in with matching arm would be very strong.
I think Rhino in Canada does.
I need to hit Jason up, see what he says.

Looks like you've got room to double shear the steering but I'm guessing you've got a reason for not.

Factory TRE hole gives you a terrible Akerman. The way I was running the arm made it slightly less bad.
Honestly the problem wasn't the steering bolt (which is single sheer and completely fine) but more the design of the HS arm.

My ideas for a "better" design. Also adding material to the outside of the arm.

7C260FA4-10BE-4355-B253-04BCE336D78B.jpeg

I guess double shear wasn't what I meant. More just tying it into the stock steering location. Can still have your tre at the same spot. But beefing up the arms like you have should definitely help, and not playing george of the jungle

I see.

That would be a good possibility. I need some time to think and most importantly finding a good machine shop that doesn't mind some back and forth with an overthinking frenchie.

But more importantly, pics of Abigail, I'm picturing a hot French chick :cougar:
Mattman's teenage daughter...

On those arms, looks like you could add some width to the outside so there is some meat around the bolt hole, add a key toward the front like RustyC drew.
And probably make it out of something better than A36 hot roll plate.
If you're gonna one-off it, go ahead and do some chromo plate, or 7075.

I guess double shear wasn't what I meant. More just tying it into the stock steering location. Can still have your tre at the same spot. But beefing up the arms like you have should definitely help, and not playing george of the jungle
Love the George of the Jungle reference and definitely stealing that one.

Latest posts