• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel Cell Help

wentz912

So I've got an 80 shortbed Toyota with a rusty factory fuel tank. Finally tired of dealing with it cutting out when a flake goes through the pickup/filter so I picked up a plastic fuel cell from toyotanut here on the board.

Looking to put it in the bed of the truck just not one hundred percent on how to get it hooked up properly. Jason pointed out which outlet was which for feed and return on the Toyota in tank pump that is in it but I'm running a carb so that part I get I think. Really just need to know how to make the level sender bit work.

I dont know what a toy electric fuel pump makes for pressure, But if i was in your shoes i would buy a quality aftermarket fuel pressure regulator and gague and ditch the mechanical fuel pump.

So I've got an 80 shortbed Toyota with a rusty factory fuel tank. Finally tired of dealing with it cutting out when a flake goes through the pickup/filter so I picked up a plastic fuel cell from toyotanut here on the board.

Looking to put it in the bed of the truck just not one hundred percent on how to get it hooked up properly. Jason pointed out which outlet was which for feed and return on the Toyota in tank pump that is in it but I'm running a carb so that part I get I think. Really just need to know how to make the level sender bit work.

First that pump aint going to work for ya--too much pressure. As for the sender it won't work either as the resistance's are different from 1st gen to second gen pickups.

I've got a PERFECT tank that's already been lined, and has a working carbed fuel pump in it (out of a 79 Toy w/ 20R)...$40 and you can bolt it in...:awesomework:

I hadn't thought about the swapping the pick ups in the tank yet, but my concern with that is if the pick up in the tank I have now is thrashed from having rust run through it.

As far as the level sender part goes, is there anyway I can run something inline with the wires to make it read properly? Or possibly a modification to the gauge itself? I'm not totally against running an aftermarket fuel gauge on the dash or something either if I can find out what resistance I need....

And thanks for the offer kev but I'm going to the cell for more reasons than just the rust, also using it for the higher capacity and having it out of the way for running a four link later on down the road.

I know this thread kind of died a while back, but i still haven't gotten this fuel cell installed and I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do it. Is there any reason I can't use the two fittings coming out of the sump on the cell for my feed and return? And then dropping the factory level sender out of my rusty tank? At the moment the truck is my only transportation so I need to be able to do this over a weekend off work.

Latest posts