• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel cell pickup

crazybluerider1

I am having a cell made. And I am wondering how I should set up the fuel pickup. I saw some "floating" pickups on summit. I just want to make sure I dont starve the engine of fuel and have pickups so I can get fuel at all angles.

I built my cell so I had control of all factors...My sump is like and upside down pyramid with a 4x4 flat bottom that holds 'bout 1.5 gallons.It is partitioned off from the cell above by a funnel shaped "top" with a 1.5" hole in the center.....like a funnel...duh.

I took a 2" piece of 3/8 ID aluminum tubing...tigged it to the inside of a -8 male weld in bung then tigged the bung on to the outside of the cell(@ the Bottom) I made sure the pickup tube was deadcenter at the bottom of the floor of the sump.I held it up bout .25" off the bottom so as not to pick up any debris that may fall into the tank.Works like a champ,have NEVER starved for fuel even long periods on my side.I loose oil pressure WAY before fuel pickup would be an issue.If you see my out wheelin stop and I'll show you:beer:

Edit for clarity: The bottom line is................the pickup is at the lowest point of the cell,in the middle/bottom of a captive pool of gas.The extension tube on the bung allows for the pickup to be centered WITHOUT the bung being welded to the bottom of the sump,pointing down and being at risk of being smashed.I guess youd just have to see it.

Last edited:
I am having a cell made. And I am wondering how I should set up the fuel pickup. I saw some "floating" pickups on summit. I just want to make sure I dont starve the engine of fuel and have pickups so I can get fuel at all angles.

Who is building your cell? I need to get one made also and have been trying to find someone that is experienced with them. I know plenty of good fab guys and can weld myself but we've never designed one and would rather avoid having it not work right.

Has anyone ever used these?

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

Who is building your cell? I need to get one made also and have been trying to find someone that is experienced with them. I know plenty of good fab guys and can weld myself but we've never designed one and would rather avoid having it not work right.

Has anyone ever used these?

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html

The guy that is building my tank is doing kind of a back door deal so I dont think he could do any others.

Those are what I was looking at for my tank. They seemed like the way to go since I am trying to have a flat bottom on my tank. I would also like some input on these.

My tank has the fuel pump right in the center dropped in from plate on the top. I welded in 2 plates, angled in at the top / \ so fuel gets trapped inside with the pump. Also the return line is plumbed to dump into this section also. always has gas unless I am on my lid, in which case, I don't care.