• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Game changer Wheres the photo shoot???

Sawzall said:
I like the mean look of this rig and think the black color was just what it needed. But the comment on Pirate about why there was no winch was funny. "He either gets to the top of the hills or rolls to the bottom where 100 crazy rednecks flip him back over." ;D

I guess I am going to have to go and see the bouncing in person one day instead of just watching it on YouTube.

Winch, Pirate??? Really???Tim don't need no stinkin winch...

Sawzall said:
I like the mean look of this rig and think the black color was just what it needed. But the comment on Pirate about why there was no winch was funny. "He either gets to the top of the hills or rolls to the bottom where 100 crazy rednecks flip him back over." ;D

I guess I am going to have to go and see the bouncing in person one day instead of just watching it on YouTube.

That was me. :D You should definitely come to an event. The smell of race fuel, the insane beatdowns, and the killer rigs make it a blast. Not to mention if they flip everyone is more than happy to get em shiny (or not so shiny) side up again so the carnage can continue. We had 20 people at my event pushing on a rig trying to get it back on its wheels...after we tried to use his winch to get him righted and it flopped to the OTHER SIDE! Ha ha ha ha!

TC's new buggy is nasty, can't wait to see the beating it gets. Haters gonna hate :D

Edit: btw the rig in your avatar looks sweet!!

I dig them gnarly jungle gym buggies, fawk errbody else, this bitch is badass! :tc

I like the orange accents against the black. Looks like flashemifyougotem

I have a feeling that the 80's aren't going to hold up. No pinion support bearing will cause deflection even with the size of the pinion bearings. 14 bolts live to the abuse because of the support. Just my thoughts. I really dig the rig though!!

YOUNG said:
I have a feeling that the 80's aren't going to hold up. No pinion support bearing will cause deflection even with the size of the pinion bearings. 14 bolts live to the abuse because of the support. Just my thoughts. I really dig the rig though!!
14 bolts didnt hold up

wizzo said:
the center sections/ gears or the c's, knuckles and axles that were used?
He broke a c (solid) multiple axles (300m rcv's) the diff limited inner shaft size! A couple guys have broke diffs also in the 14's

al1tonyota said:
He broke a c (solid) multiple axles (300m rcv's) the diff limited inner shaft size! A couple guys have broke diffs also in the 14's

that's what i remember him breaking. but for most, the 14 bolt center would be sufficent

obviously he has been and is pushing the limit of the parts available on the market, good for him for pushing the envelope and building something using parts that are very cutting edge

traveler said:
14 bolts didnt hold up

Haven't he and JoJo broke a few ring gears in the front? Plus a housing and more rcv's than you can count?
Something about the slope/angle of the gears of a 14b not being sufficient in a front drive application?

Yeah they are on the coast side of the gear when you turn em to the front. Yeah they got the pinion bearing taht great and wonderful but its not designed to run that way. Look at bobby tanner he has broke Atlas front output and tons of axles with 3.73 HP Dana 60. He cracked one set of 4.88s gears they found when they were in the chunk for something I think but it was broke to where he noticed be fore they tore into it. I'm just not seeing the 14 bolt front hype.

The problem with a 14 bolt front is the high hypoid ratio (just like a Ford 9") (Pinion is farther from center of ring gear)

IMO the pinion snout bearing is more for extra support when when running on the coast side (reverse in rear, or forward with a front axle). Because when in reverse, (or forward if the axle is in the front) the ring gear is trying to pull the pinion into the case.

Pinion deflection is NOT as big of a problem as people talk about, especially when running gears in the correct direction.

Carrier bearing/Ring gear deflection IS a problem, and that is why a load bolt makes the gear sets last much longer.

The common assumption is that the weak point of a Dana 60 (& 70) gearset is the 29 spline pinion shaft. That was the reason for the 14 bolt front, the massive pinion shaft & a ring gear big enough to take the abuse running on the coast side.

IMO from an engineering stand point, the HP Dana 70 gears with 35 spline pinoin from Currie are MILES ahead of a 14 bolt front. BUT... Just the gearset is $500 http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Products4x4.aspx?id=3851&p=499.9500

And then you gotta get a JANA76 kit, or find a factory HP70 (rare), or buy a Currie RockJock 70 center section... Which is big money when you can pick up a 4.56 geared 14bolt with a Detroit (CUCV rear) for ~$300-500.

The sheer size of a Dana 80 puts it into another catagory all together. The Dana 80 has a relatively low hypoid ratio (pinion is more centered) so in the front, it's not trying to pull the pinion into the housing as bad, plus the sheer diameter or the ring gear takes a TON of abuse off of the pinion (simple leverage). The reason a Dana 80 has a massive pinion shaft is to handle the large input torque they were designed for (Cummins duallys, motorhomes, etc)

(not sure what diff this diagram is of, but it shows hypoid gears. More centered pinion=lower hypoid ratio, lower or higher pinion= higer hypoid ratio)
hypoid-gear.jpg

thanks for the lesson professor :flipoff1: freaking engineers

not too many folks have the engine or the hairy fawking balls that TC or JoJo have. I bet not too many average wheeler types have broken hi-pinion D60 r&p's either

The gears you see breaking right and left are not being set up right, you can bank on that!

Tbitoy. Think about what you just described about the pinion gears climbing that's what the snout bearing is suppose to help the pinion from doing, it makes it a lot stronger from that stand point alone.